Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

John Wick 4… unsure why this is getting the best reviews of the series. At its best, it’s beautifully shot, inventive and exciting. But it also suffers the same problems as the third film…overlong, some of the fight scenes repetitive like a bad video game (kill three people, then another three enter the room, then another three, eventually the boss). They could have cut almost the whole first hour without making a huge difference.

I also found some of the almost mystical elements of the Table, the family rituals etc were so far removed from what made the first so simple yet exciting: some crooks wrong the wrong person.

Once it gets to Paris though, it’s brilliant, the Arc de Triomphe fight scene is particularly good. 7/10
it is what it is. a movie full of guns, knives, nunchucks, fists and fighting. enjoyable.

i get what youre saying, and its a classic troupe. that gang members pair off and attack a lone opponent in turn. Why no surround and blast him at once?

I remember listening and watching a doco on jackie chan. During filming the enemy advances and yells something. That lets in this case jackie know they're coming and perform the next stage of the scene. I imagine IRL street fights, assailants prefer to creep up without making a sound so as to get a quick and easy punch in.

I thought 2 was pretty shite TBH. Loved the first one.

I didn't mind either.

first was the best. the clever use of home ground advantage (hardware store) and its tools was good. it was also quite simple. man vs man so to speak.

then 2 goes in a new direction with more cerebral government stuff involved. perhaps to try and differentiate from no 1.

it is what it is. a movie full of guns, knives, nunchucks, fists and fighting. enjoyable.

i get what youre saying, and its a classic troupe. that gang members pair off and attack a lone opponent in turn. Why no surround and blast him at once?

I remember listening and watching a doco on jackie chan. During filming the enemy advances and yells something. That lets in this case jackie know they're coming and perform the next stage of the scene. I imagine IRL street fights, assailants prefer to creep up without making a sound so as to get a quick and easy punch in.
The Daredevil hallway fight is the standard bearer for great fight scenes... the one-at-a-time fight is explained buy the tight confines of the hallway and the fact the next villain can't get ahead to join in.

first was the best. the clever use of home ground advantage (hardware store) and its tools was good. it was also quite simple. man vs man so to speak.

then 2 goes in a new direction with more cerebral government stuff involved. perhaps to try and differentiate from no 1.
I barely remember the first, just remember I enjoyed it.

The Daredevil hallway fight is the standard bearer for great fight scenes... the one-at-a-time fight is explained buy the tight confines of the hallway and the fact the next villain can't get ahead to join in.
Oldboy esque.

its a clever way to fighting off someone.

f98a3d8d-615f-4dea-8225-b83d58db7507_text.gif

King Leonidis and his spartan army used the same strategy at the hot gates against the invading persians.

Just because a movie might have a basic concept of entertainment and action, doesn't mean it can't also aim to be good, and have a good balance and pacing.

The John Wick series sounds like it lost that balance.

The first is more individually driven, the baddie is great, the story is personal and low stakes, and its got a good soundtrack. You are right that the second he feels more like a normal spy dude doing spy things, seriously implications about national security, with a cliché bad guy government agent gone corrupt. It leaves less room for Denzel to do his things.

The Raid did a few great scenes of multiple dudes either engaging all at once or in the hallway style but that might also be the greatest action flick ever made.

Ong Bak 2 i think has a cracking one on a staircase and Tony Jaa is an animal.

Jackie Chan also did a alot of really clever fight scenes using obstructions to limit the guys attacking him at once.

Honestly most modern action flicks do it well enough its not that noticeable so its gotta be pretty poorly coreographed now for it to not work.

The first is more individually driven, the baddie is great, the story is person and low stakes, and its good a good soundtrack. You are right that the second he feels more like a normal spy dude doing spy things, seriously implications about national security, with a cliché bad guy government agent gone corrupt. It leaves less room for Denzel to do his things.

in 1 the baddie is a scary mofo.

Good news everyone John Wick 5 is in early development...

IDK Keanu was already moving pretty slow and not very convincing in many of his scenes, maybe they can uses some of that Scorcese/Deniro technology to improve his fighting technique

Good news everyone John Wick 5 is in early development...

IDK Keanu was already moving pretty slow and not very convincing in many of his scenes, maybe they can uses some of that Scorcese/Deniro technology to improve his fighting technique
That didn't help DeNiro in The Irishman. They de-aged him to make him look young (well, middle-aged, at least). But the problem was he still MOVED like an old man. Watching him beat up that shopkeeper was not all that convincing.

I refuse on principle to watch a sports movie where the heroes are a bunch of marketing executives

I thought Air was better than it had any right to be (a lot of talented people working on the film ensured it wasn’t total dogshit), but with the announcement of Will Ferrell being in talks to play John Madden in a film about the making of the Madden video game, I can’t say I’m loving the shift to make movies about products and brands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Air was better than it had any right to be (a lot of talented people working on the film ensured it wasn’t total dogshit), but with the announcement of Will Ferrell being in talks to play John Madden in a film about the making of the Madden video game, I can’t say I’m loving the shift to make movies about products and brands.
It all depends on whether the story behind that product or brand is an interesting one. Ford v Ferrari from a couple years back is a great example. Guys from one car company trying to make a car to beat another car company, but it was built on the foundation of a good story. I really enjoyed Air, too, for similar reasons.

Air
7/10
There's obvs no tension cos everyone knows that Michael Jordan signed with Nike, but it's still an interesting story. I don't know s**t about * when it comes to basketball so all I knew was the shoe, the rest was news to me. Tucker's voice is extremely distracting, as is Damon's stupid fatsuit in a couple of scenes. I enjoyed the agent's swear filled monologue and the 80s vibe.

PS Jason Bateman is still a dish

No tension in Titanic in your opinion?

With all this talk of John Wick Chapter 4 it dawned on me I had never seen the third so last night kicked the kids and wife (she hated the first JW, couldn't handle the violence and went and did something else half way through) out of the living room and took in Parabellum.

Phoar!! Its full on from the get go. From the library scene through the Moroccan gun fight back to The Continental. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two and was hoping this wouldn't let me down and it did not. The shootout in Casablanca is fantastic, the definite highlight for me. I thought Mark Dacoscos character was a bit stupid, some of his lines were cringeworthy "It was a cool fight though" yeah spare me dickhead, John doesn't give a * what you think. 8/10.

I love the gunfight choreography in all the JW films, just so close up and brutal. Don't know if anyone here has seen the film Equilibrium with Christian Bale (its early 2000's from memory) which employs a sort of gun martial art called Gun Kata but the JW action sequences remind me of that.

Really looking forward to watching Chapter 4.

The Raid did a few great scenes of multiple dudes either engaging all at once or in the hallway style but that might also be the greatest action flick ever made.

Ong Bak 2 i think has a cracking one on a staircase and Tony Jaa is an animal.

Jackie Chan also did a alot of really clever fight scenes using obstructions to limit the guys attacking him at once.

Honestly most modern action flicks do it well enough its not that noticeable so its gotta be pretty poorly coreographed now for it to not work.

The Raid movies are brilliant, I actually watched them back to back with my Dad and whilst these sorts of movies arent his thing he love them. Again some of the death scenes are brutal.

Didnt think much of Ong Bak 2 but loved the first one. The nightclub scene where Tony Jaa goes to town on Big Bear and co is brilliant.

No tension in Titanic in your opinion?
Touch different. Would Jack and Rose survive is more the tension in Titanic than would the ship sink.

Air did a really good job of presenting the story and making it interesting but ultimately most people knew MJ went to Nike, there may have been the tension between Knight and Lazaro woukd they use the full budget etc etc etc. but you weren’t watching the board pitch wondering if the plucky dad bod Damon would prevail.

It all depends on whether the story behind that product or brand is an interesting one. Ford v Ferrari from a couple years back is a great example. Guys from one car company trying to make a car to beat another car company, but it was built on the foundation of a good story. I really enjoyed Air, too, for similar reasons.
Also Ford vs Ferrari can defer to actual, car racing. Engineering. Not just merchandise and marketing.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Touch different. Would Jack and Rose survive is more the tension in Titanic than would the ship sink.

Air did a really good job of presenting the story and making it interesting but ultimately most people knew MJ went to Nike, there may have been the tension between Knight and Lazaro woukd they use the full budget etc etc etc. but you weren’t watching the board pitch wondering if the plucky dad bod Damon would prevail.

Haha yeah was just playing. Your man Sean Fennessy was recently critiqued online for having the same attitude towards Oppenheimer. Which is only because he is for some reason a Nolan hater.

Equalizer 2 was still pretty decent for a Fuqua film, he sort of brings his a-game for those flicks, otherwise typically mediocre. Denzel is getting old though, turns 70 next year, a lot closer to Neeson in age than Keanu.

Hey what's up miss you guys. Been consumed by the supercoach board. Need to hang out here more and be a man of culture again.

Cha Cha Real Smooth (2022)

A BF poster, can't remember their name, included this on their top 10 for 2022 list and I had never heard of it. Shout outs to them.

What an under-seen gem of last year, right in the dramedy sweet spot. Heartfelt and small but entertaining and well-made. Featuring a charming lead performance from Cooper Raiff who also wrote and directed it, a stellar effort for a lad in his mid 20s. Some killer lines and dialogue. Dakota Johnson is the other lead who is always great.

Some simple but relatable themes for someone of my generation. The difference between the need to be free and find yourself in your 20s, and the need for stability in your 30s. The meaningful connections you can make with people who are at incompatible life stages. Hit kinda deep at times 4/5

Wrath of Man (2021)

Another Bigfooty pick. Was in the mood for something action/thriller and Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham didn't let us down with this solid revenge flick. Not with the humour of a lot of Guy Ritchie but plenty of thrills and suspense. Statham's timing and wooden delivery can be kinda funny in it's own way and definitely works here. 3.5/5

Haha yeah was just playing. Your man Sean Fennessy was recently critiqued online for having the same attitude towards Oppenheimer. Which is only because he is for some reason a Nolan hater.
His relationship with Nolan is indeed complicated. I can sort of see his point on Oppenheimer but all depends how they bring that story together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back