Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dungeons and Dragons

Really surprised by this, enjoyed it far more than I expected. Real Guardians of Galaxy vibe to it. Cliched story and character arcs but it moves at a cracking pace and it’s really well cast, with some great sequences and some genuinely funny moments.

The set up has franchise written all over so it will no doubt overstay its welcome like all the sooperhero garbage, and I’ll probably have totally forgotten it in about two weeks, but it’s a lot of fun. 7/10

Pain and Glory - Antonio Banderas plays a retired movie director looking back at his life and his work, whilst being crippled with various ailments and his own future. Have not seen any of director Pedro Almodóvar's films, but will make a point to. A quietly brilliant Banderas performance, and features one of my favourite endings to a film I've seen in some time. 8.5/10

Benediction - Biopic of WW1 conscientious objector poet Siegfried Sassoon, who grapples with the horrors of war and trying to find connection as a gay man. Interesting to look at it contrast with something like Maestro, in that I think this succeeds in telling me who Siegfried was, whereas I didn't feel the same with Bernstein. Jack Lowden continues to impress. 8/10

Two of the best queer directors who emerged in the 80s. Sadly Terrence Davies (who did Benediction) died last year, so it's his final film. I unfortunately went to a late session of it after a long day at work and fell asleep in the cinema - one of only two times that’s ever happened to me. I really ought to rewatch. Pain and Glory was brilliant though, and one of my favourites from Almodóvar - great to see the two regulars he helped make global superstars in Banderas and Cruz together in the one film.

Recommend All About My Mother and Talk to Her from Almodóvar and Distant Voices Still Lives from Davies, if you're after some more of both.

Frozen (2010)

Surprisingly not a bad movie about 3 people who are left stranded on a chair lift at a ski resort, think IMDB gave it a 6.2/10 and I’d have to agree with that score.
More musical numbers than you'd expect, too.

The Boys (1998)

Theres no evil quite like garden-variety evil (Lecter, The Joker pffftt) especially when it’s based on real events. And like Snowtown, this also offers a terrifying glimpse of an Australian underclass. A truly unsettling experience (you’ll never see David Wenham in the same light again), and a reminder that films used to actually come in at around an hour and a half. Don‘t think I could have taken much more though tbh.

It must have been around the time of its release I last saw it (now on Stan) but that score by The Necks came back to me straight away. 8/10

BlackBerry

Really enjoyed it. Story about the events concerning the development of the Blackberry phone and its ultimate demise due to the Apple iPhone and Google Android. Good cast, frustrating at times watching in slow motion the bad decisions that were made at the time and the transformation of Mike Lazaridis as he becomes more desperate in the wake of the competition.

8.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joy Ride… throwback to the early ‘00s raunchy comedies, the difference being it’s four American Asian women going on a road trip to find the birth mother of one who is adopted. Plenty of slapstick, sex, jokes etc and follows the usual beats, though it does it well. Gets a little absurd at times but then most films like these do. Gets quite emotional towards the end before wrapping it all up at a neat 95 minutes that means it doesn’t overstay its welcome. 7/10 and well worth the time.

Been on a bit of a binge lately

No Time to Die: Going against the grain but again like Spectre I just didnt really get into it. Clearly D Craig has had enough, his Bond wasnt smooth, classy nor particularly quick witted, just seemed very angry and impatient. Story was largely forgettable and Remi wasnt much of a villain. Didnt like the ending either. Maybe Bond has run its course. 5/10

Indiana Jones - Dial of Destiny: Well it was a vast improvement of the Crystal Skull abomination, was quite enjoyable, liked the plot of the artefact itself and good to see Salah back. Was decent but again probably time to retire this franchise. Nothing will ever top the third one. 6/10

I'm still obsessed with alien/ufo movies but not the big explosion block busters such as Independence Day or War of the Worlds, I much more like ones that are real sci fi with proper tension building and remote locations where strange s**t happens.

The Phoenix Incident: Found footage movie which is a bit disorientating but the non disclosed interviews over the phoenix lights was interesting, it then descends into violence and gore and delivers little. 4/10

Dark Skies: Again on the Phoenix lights but focuses on a group of friends who crash into a strangers ute whilst witnessing the phoenix lights. Again quite a good build up then descends into garbage of abductions, gory alien experiments etc. Acting is pretty poor from all involved. 3/10

Neither of these are in the same league as Signs.

Going to hit Fire in the Sky which apparently is more drama thriller based on a claimed abduction.

Damage

Brilliant movie. Saw it again yesterday and really took in how great this film is. Pretty much truth in many respects. About a young New Zealand boy who gets sent away at a very young age for a minor crime and had some bad sh1t happen to him while at boys/juvenile's home. Transformed and became a Bikie and yeah. The rest is history. You see the gang life and the violence and the mindset. The modern days Once Were Warriors flick.

I give it a 9.5/10

Reptile

Two really great performances from Benicio and Silverstone inside a competently made film with a pretty dull story that feels telegraphed from the outset.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre

Good clean mindless fun. This isn’t nearly as comedic as the trailers would lead you to believe. Statham and Hartnett are good, Hugh Grant doing the smarmy cockney villain in another Ritchie film is amazing.

I haven't seen a scary movie that's been truly scary to me for a while. And I'm not saying that for the sake of being contrarian, I just feel as though all of the scaring tactics have been tried before and I see right through it. Or that it's mainly based on jump scares and when you've seen enough of them you can generally tell when one is coming.

I still like going with friends and such and being like "haha yeah, that part got me" or "what would you do" but deep down I feel let down. Not sure if that's just how it'll stay or if the industry is just out of ideas/not trying anymore but it is a shame.

I haven't seen a scary movie that's been truly scary to me for a while. And I'm not saying that for the sake of being contrarian, I just feel as though all of the scaring tactics have been tried before and I see right through it. Or that it's mainly based on jump scares and when you've seen enough of them you can generally tell when one is coming.

I still like going with friends and such and being like "haha yeah, that part got me" or "what would you do" but deep down I feel let down. Not sure if that's just how it'll stay or if the industry is just out of ideas/not trying anymore but it is a shame.
Maybe you just became an adult?

I love horror but rarely get genuinely scared since say my early 20s. The Ring traumatised me as a teenager.

How scary a movie is shouldn't be the only metric for how effective a horror movie is imo. Fear responses are flimsy and subjective.

That said, I thought Talk to Me was one of the creepier movies I have seen recently. But there is also plenty of other aspects that recommend the film, ie the cinematography, acting, metaphors and social commentary.

The first act of Barbarian didnt really have jump scares but built the tension really well, i was stressed as * watching it in the cinemas 😅

Maybe you just became an adult?

I love horror but rarely get genuinely scared since say my early 20s. The Ring traumatised me as a teenager.

For me less is more when it comes to horror. Imo it's scarier re. what you dont see on camera rather than what you do. That's why I loved Blair Witch Project. Or say SOTL where in the abduction scene you hear the violence rather than see it.

Damage

Brilliant movie. Saw it again yesterday and really took in how great this film is. Pretty much truth in many respects. About a young New Zealand boy who gets sent away at a very young age for a minor crime and had some bad sh1t happen to him while at boys/juvenile's home. Transformed and became a Bikie and yeah. The rest is history. You see the gang life and the violence and the mindset. The modern days Once Were Warriors flick.

I give it a 9.5/10
Called Damage or Savage? Trying to google it and I can only find the movie Savage from NZ about bikies

Been on a bit of a binge lately

No Time to Die: Going against the grain but again like Spectre I just didnt really get into it. Clearly D Craig has had enough, his Bond wasnt smooth, classy nor particularly quick witted, just seemed very angry and impatient. Story was largely forgettable and Remi wasnt much of a villain. Didnt like the ending either. Maybe Bond has run its course. 5/10

Indiana Jones - Dial of Destiny: Well it was a vast improvement of the Crystal Skull abomination, was quite enjoyable, liked the plot of the artefact itself and good to see Salah back. Was decent but again probably time to retire this franchise. Nothing will ever top the third one. 6/10

I'm still obsessed with alien/ufo movies but not the big explosion block busters such as Independence Day or War of the Worlds, I much more like ones that are real sci fi with proper tension building and remote locations where strange s**t happens.

The Phoenix Incident: Found footage movie which is a bit disorientating but the non disclosed interviews over the phoenix lights was interesting, it then descends into violence and gore and delivers little. 4/10

Dark Skies: Again on the Phoenix lights but focuses on a group of friends who crash into a strangers ute whilst witnessing the phoenix lights. Again quite a good build up then descends into garbage of abductions, gory alien experiments etc. Acting is pretty poor from all involved. 3/10

Neither of these are in the same league as Signs.

Going to hit Fire in the Sky which apparently is more drama thriller based on a claimed abduction.
I watched one a while back on Amazon called The Vast of Night. I liked it, worth a watch if you're interested in those kinds of UFO visitation sci fi kind of movies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back