Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)

There's the basis for a good comedy Western. Fairly straightforward plot. Some of the jokes are funny, others fall flat, quite a few times they really labour the point. Good cinematography and score.

Seth MacFarlane directs it but he shouldn't have cast himself. He can't act. Charlize Theron and Liam Neeson provide some star quality. There's some fun cameos.

5/10

Pulse (2001 dir. by Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

Truly terrifying first half that'll make your skin crawl, with all the sounds and camera work but then the movie falls off a bit. Not as good as Cure or Retribution.

Ricky Stanicky... an old fashioned 90s, early 2000s adult comedy. The premise is good: three childhood friends create an imaginary fourth friend to blame for all their misdeeds. This continues all the way into adulthood, but after one incident too many, people demand to actually meet him. So they hire a down-on-his-luck actor to play Stanicky but he decides he likes being Stanicky more than his old life.

There's a few good laughs in there, almost entirely from John Cena, who is up for anything as the loser actor playing Stanicky, whose research is still admirable. A genuinely good comedic turn from him. But as the lies build up, you start to think there's no way they can wrap this up without stretching credibility to breaking point. And they can't. Wrapped up in too neat a bow without genuine growth from the characters. But it passed the time easily enough. 5.5/10

Reckon it's worth watching just for John Cena alone, but only if you have time you're happy to kill. It's mildly amusing, not offensively bad, just not a great 'movie' in terms of plot and character progression. Helps if you like Peter Farrelly's earlier work (Dumb & Dumber, Something About Mary etc).

81ieZaej4tL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Saw it cheap on Amazon last week, can't wait to watch it (will be surprised if I learn anything new - being a Robo head and all).

81ieZaej4tL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Saw it cheap on Amazon last week, can't wait to watch it (will be surprised if I learn anything new - being a Robo head and all).
It's great

Brightwood... free on Tubi. A mastercraft in making a good film on a micro budget. Just two actors and one location. A couple whose long marriage is falling apart go for a run around a small lake. But after completing a lap, they can't find the trail back. No matter which direction they turn, they end up in the same place. Then there's a mysterious hooded figure who appears. Part psychological horror, part sci-fi time loop, it's genuinely creepy at times. It gets a bit schlocky at times, the soundtrack is the most amateurish part, and the theme less than subtle, but it's a great premise, executed well and mostly sticks the landing, even if it might seem like they weren't 100 per cent sure where to take it. 7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snowtown

I knew it was a mistake watching that movie because seeing that sick s**t makes you aware of the harsh reality of what people are capable of and that actually transpired. Sickness. You get people like that. They prey on the weak and directionless and brainwash others to do their dirty work. I'm glad those disgusting *s got caught and are in jail.

As for the guy that played the main villain as much as I hated that campaigner which is what he's supposed to do he was very funny at the start and really nailed his role. I think he was in that movie Skin. Well yeah it was him. Good to see that the movie elevated his acting career and he's on to bigger and better things.

The Lighthorsemen

They have been showing it on SBS movies, it's a decent film but a poor man's Gallipoli which was the film to end all Australian WWI films.

A tragic footnote to The Lighthorsemen was that Jon Blake had a bad car crash on the last day of filming and ended up being an invalid.

He was destined to be the next Mel Gibson, he got a million dollar payout for potential Hollywood earnings due to the likes of George Miller.

No amount of money makes up for the career he lost though.

Last edited:
Tangerine (2015)

The story of a trans hooker searching for her unfaithful, pimp boyfriend in downtown LA. It's not as user friendly as Sean Baker's later work, The Florida Project, but it's remarkable what he put together with iPhones, inexperienced actors and improvisation.

6/10

I've been wondering about that, some people raise Roadhouse up to a ridiculous level, but I remember it being pretty shite. I'd hope Gyllenhall wouldn't be in something truly terrible.
It’s an acquired taste, and whilst I am partial to a lot of cheesy 80s flicks this one just wasn’t for me. Revisited it recently and gave it a 1.5/5.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about that, some people raise Roadhouse up to a ridiculous level, but I remember it being pretty shite. I'd hope Gyllenhall wouldn't be in something truly terrible.
I am with you - I didn't like the first one and have no real want to watch the remake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back