Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Promised Land - Mads Mikkelsen leads this Danish historical epic about a retired war captain who gains permission to build a farm and colony on what's thought to be uninhabitable land. It plays like you would expect it to, complete with an easily dislikeable villain, but I think for the better. The right level of melodrama, led brilliantly by Mads but with a great supporting cast around him. 7.5/10

Evil Does Not Exist - Don't think there's a film I think of more from the 2020s than Drive My Car. Probably my favourite of the decade so far, and Ryusuke Hamaguchi has shown himself to be a master of these slow-paced but beautiful mediations. This one is set in a village outside Tokyo where a company is looking to set-up a glamping site that would disrupt the local eco-system. There's a bit to unpack with the ending, but after sitting with it for a while, it feels earned. 8.5/10

I started Barbie last night. 15 minutes in and I'm not sure I can continue.

Is the movie a massive pile of s**t or is there something I'm missing?
It changes perspective which was needed.

Stick it out until the change

And dont expect great acting

Love Lies Bleeding - Aka Frank Millers She-Hulk.

Nothing will convince this isn't a She-Hulk movie in disguise.

It wasn't perfect but I was really digging this movie until the ending, which maybe the best or worst example of driving your movie off a cliff with one decision.

The movie reminds me a lot of Cold in July as a small town crime film with people in over their heads, even has a pivot half way through like Cold in July though not as severe.

Shout out to Katy O'Brian who I have to say felt way more natural in her acting then her more experience and famous co-star Kristen Stewart. I saw an interview saying the made her audition 6 times even with a acting coach, I guess they had doubts as maybe she did not audition well, but she was good. Kristen Stewart just plays her self and is so awkward, but that is just her naturally and did not have to stretch because the role was written for her.

You know I totally would have been on board with the movie being a version of Rocky in the world of female body building or even the pitfalls of that world and competitions which is where I thought the movie was going at one point early on.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024)

A paint by numbers Guy Ritchie WWII caper about a group of outcasts put together to scuttle a Nazi ship that supplies U-Boats. It starts off ok then gets silly towards the end. They are tasked with an impossible mission but they are so awesome at everything that you never feel a sense of jeopardy. All the characters are cliched, with no development. Rory Kinnear is usually very good but he's badly cast as Churchill.

It's ok as a couple of hours of entertainment but forgettable.

4/10
Geez.. 4/10 does not sound like a couple of hours of entertainment to me 😂

Godzilla -1 . Maybe not as good as I had heard but was pretty good.

I do have to say it should not have won the best visual effects oscar. Yeah I get the budget was not same as the 80 million for The Creator but that should have won since the visual effects in that film were pretty much flawless and much better than way more expensive movies (looking at you indy 5 and flash).

It must feel somewhat Ironic to Gareth Edwards that his own Godzilla movie from 2014 looked better this one he lost too.

Geez.. 4/10 does not sound like a couple of hours of entertainment to me 😂

It was either a 4 or a 5.

Love Lies Bleeding - Aka Frank Millers She-Hulk.

Nothing will convince this isn't a She-Hulk movie in disguise.

It wasn't perfect but I was really digging this movie until the ending, which maybe the best or worst example of driving your movie off a cliff with one decision.

The movie reminds me a lot of Cold in July as a small town crime film with people in over their heads, even has a pivot half way through like Cold in July though not as severe.

Shout out to Katy O'Brian who I have to say felt way more natural in her acting then her more experience and famous co-star Kristen Stewart. I saw an interview saying the made her audition 6 times even with a acting coach, I guess they had doubts as maybe she did not audition well, but she was good. Kristen Stewart just plays her self and is so awkward, but that is just her naturally and did not have to stretch because the role was written for her.

You know I totally would have been on board with the movie being a version of Rocky in the world of female body building or even the pitfalls of that world and competitions which is where I thought the movie was going at one point early on.

I appreciated the ending and its originality, and it reminded me of the ending of Rose Glass' previous film, Saint Maud, in an abstract way. I get how it could annoy though.

I thought O'Brian was great and a terrific find, but I continue to carry water for Kristen Stewart, who I think is an interesting and unfairly maligned star. It wasn't a showy role (especially with Ed Harris and Dave Franco free to go all-in on sleazebags) but I think she's someone whose nervy energy can really bring a lot to a role.

Exorcist: Believer - fmd what a load of shit. Can’t believe Ellen Burstyn and Linda Blair agreed to appear in this embarrassing flick. - 1/10

Dream Scenario -
Quite enjoyed this. Decent take on cancer culture and social media ‘fame’. Cage was very good ..one laugh out scene involving farting - 7/10

The Promised Land - Mads Mikkelsen leads this Danish historical epic about a retired war captain who gains permission to build a farm and colony on what's thought to be uninhabitable land. It plays like you would expect it to, complete with an easily dislikeable villain, but I think for the better. The right level of melodrama, led brilliantly by Mads but with a great supporting cast around him. 7.5/10

Thanks for this recommendation. I found it under its Danish title, Bastarden.

It's a slow paced epic with murders, a love triangle, racial prejudice against gypsies. It reminded me of the Thomas Hardy and George Eliot novels I used to read. Mads Mikkelsen is good in everything he touches but he is is perfect in this. Simon Bennebjerg gives Matt Smith vibes as the evil villain. All the characters have some depth and development. The bleak landscape is almost another character. I loved the ending.

8/10

I have no idea what Fall Guy is about other than he's a stuntman? So to me it seems like, what if take a basic concept from Drive but make a fun action comedy romance instead?

Now I still wanna see it cause I heard it's a fun action flick for grown ups, which is not that common, but I really think that trailers give away too little of a movie's story these days, and instead just focus on the big scenes and funny lines. Show me a plot. It's ok to see people talking.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
The bolded is genuinely the first and probably only time i have ever seen this criticism. It is usually the opposite. Also which trailers have you watched cause the ones ive seen show plenty of the plot
Gos plays a stuntman doing a film for Emily Blunt as the director who is an old flame. Aaront Taylor Johnson is the star of the film and he goes missing due to being caught up in some dodgy shit. Gos is tasked with finding him, hijinx ensue. That is all from one of the 2 or 3 trailers doing the rounds.
I started Barbie last night. 15 minutes in and I'm not sure I can continue.

Is the movie a massive pile of s**t or is there something I'm missing?
Yes id suggest you are missing something. Great set design and production values, good performances, well written and directed. I can understand not licking it but massive pile of shit is way way ott.
It changes perspective which was needed.

Stick it out until the change

And dont expect great acting
Gos was nommed for an Oscar. At the very least his performance is exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
I have resisted watching this for almost 20 years because I have great affection for the 1995 adaptation, and the book is in my top 2 favourites of all time.

I should have continued to resist. It was okay. Probably much more enjoyable for those who aren't attached to the novel. For me, it is but a 4/10, and that's for the cinematography, the score and the casting of Rosamund Pike as Jane.

WHY were the Bennets portrayed as poor? Mr. Bennet is a country gentleman and by no means poor! He is a gentleman of the same class as Mr. Bingley, just with a smaller fortune and fewer connections. This movie portrays the Bennets as paupers, which is ridiculous because balls would never have entertained mixed classes.

The costume inaccuracies were HEINOUS. Corsets?! In 1795?! Low waistlines and...BARE ARMS?! Men with long hair after the French Revolution? No.
The women's hairstyles were LAUGHABLE.

This adaptation loses a lot of the satire and is a much more straight up romance than Austen's novel and the '95 version. The ludicrous characters, Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and Mr. Collins in particular, are dialled down. The sharp wit of Mr. Bennet is dialled down. Don't even get me STARTED on Miss Bingley's attitude and the complete omission of Mr. and Mrs. Hurst!

The Meg 2

This was most certainly a film about Jason Stratham battling giant sharks. There was also a giant octopus.

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
I have resisted watching this for almost 20 years because I have great affection for the 1995 adaptation, and the book is in my top 2 favourites of all time.

I should have continued to resist. It was okay. Probably much more enjoyable for those who aren't attached to the novel. For me, it is but a 4/10, and that's for the cinematography, the score and the casting of Rosamund Pike as Jane.
How does it compare to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

For a family movie this was outstanding, can't believe I'd never heard of it

10/10

Why the heck did Sacha Baron Cohen go all stupid and play moronic roles. He was brilliant in this movie, playing a balanced blend of personas. He could have been so much more.

He's been in a lot of flops and mediocre films and played roles that can't be taken seriously.

amazing movie

Love Lies Bleeding

This worked for me big time. Super stylish, colourful and entertaining. Most violent love story since True Romance? While it has some familiar crime story beats (which I liked), it's also bold, gross, sweaty, psychedelic, rambunctious.

Kristen Stewart is in her bag at the moment and I’m into it. Katy O’brian gave a wild, physical performance and nailed the theme of dysfunctional young love. Ed Harris is perfectly cast. Also thought Anna Baryshinkov was really good as the ditzy liability.

I just dug the whole aesthetic from start to finish: the fashion, the excellent score, the cinematography. This has the feel of an entire film production on top of their game and on the same page.

8.5/10

Love Lies Bleeding

It's tough to end a movie. I liked the ending though.

They made a bold choice, which I respect. What was the decision you are referring to?

It's tough to end a movie. I liked the ending though.

They made a bold choice, which I respect. What was the decision you are referring to?

Her hulking out into a giant and playing with him like a doll. It just looked too silly for me in this movie. I can respect a bold choice too but it didnt work for me even though I understand what they were going for. If they didnt do that I would have prob given the movie a 8/10, as I really liked everything up until that. Also the woman being alive in the pick up and having to be finished up was a unnecessary.

Her hulking out into a giant and playing with him like a doll. It just looked too silly for me in this movie. I can respect a bold choice too but it didnt work for me even though I understand what they were going for. If they didnt do that I would have prob given the movie a 8/10, as I really liked everything up until that. Also the woman being alive in the pick up and having to be finished up was a unnecessary.
Fair enough.

For me there was enough fantastical/hallucinatory elements in the lead up that it didn't totally throw me, but I can totally see how it wouldn't work for some. Also just a personal taste thing I think.

Like spinynorman pointed out, it kinda makes sense when you look at it alongside the Saint Maud ending.

Last edited:
Ahead of watching his new film at the cinema, I watched a few other Ryusuke Hamaguchi films - I had missed Drive My Car and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy the two and a bit years ago that they came out, so it was good to make amends on them.

But first, I watched Happy Hour, his 317 minute epic from 2015 (hurray for rainy days) about four 37 year old, middle class women, their friendship and their dramas in life. It obviously feels long (it's impossible for a 5+ hour movie not to), but I was enjoying this the whole way. Scenes take their time to build and release, pieces of information drop along the way, in a quite narratively brilliant way to bring the audience along on this journey.

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is a much briefer 120 minutes, and is a three short film anthology. I found each worked better than the prior, until the final one was quite beautiful and poignant.

When Drive My Car was released I thought the write ups made it sound like a piece of slow cinema, basically three hours of him in a car listening to tapes, something more akin to The Plains than what we ended up with. I should've known that a movie such as that wasn't going to be Oscar nominated for Best Picture! I loved it for what it was, and found its narrative quite gripping. Some beautiful touches throughout, and similar to Happy Hour I think he's a real master of slowly building something.

So to the cinema for Evil Does Not Exist, a comparatively brief 105 minute jaunt about a rural community who live with the beauty of the nature that surrounds them and who are concerned about the disruption of a proposed glamping site that would pollute the local river and upend a deer trail. The first half shows the beauty of this world and is truly gorgeous. The second half slowly pollutes that with corporate Powerpoints and obnoxious Zoom meetings, before an ending that is surprising in some sense, but also probably the inevitable one. Beautiful images on a screen.

A beautiful, thoughtful and melancholy world to enter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back