When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you go against Freo in Perth this year??

Every year 10 teams find it difficult to finish in the 8, Carlton is always among them. Bbbbbbbbut next season will be different will it?
Stupid dickhead question mate,Covid caused us to play Freo in Melbourne and we also had to play a home game in Sydney because of Covid.

How is their salary cap going? They've made big contract offers to bring in McGovern, Williams, Martin, Saad and now Cerra. Cripps, McKay and Weitering have signed big deals recently and Walsh will get enormous offers.

That's 9 guys on very high end contracts. Hard to see how they fit them all in without somebody missing out. McGovern has 2 more years but Walsh will more than make up for any savings there. Feels like they're going to hit trouble at some point.

How did you go against Freo in Perth this year??

Every year 10 teams find it difficult to finish in the 8, Carlton is always among them. Bbbbbbbbut next season will be different will it?

Didn’t play Freo in Perth this year, beat them in WA in 2019 and 2020 though.

Anywhere, anytime with the Dockers.

Thanks for the info mate, I'm sure you'll feel better for that.

Not my problem a number of Carlton supporters are making weird takes about how easy it’ll be to make the 8, despite Carlton not finishing inside the 8 for how long?

Not my problem a number of Carlton supporters are making weird takes about how easy it’ll be to make the 8, despite Carlton not finishing inside the 8 for how long?
Supporters are supporters mate, I've read the Bombers board and you all just as crazy as Carlton supporters.

Ladder changes happen every year mate.

Not a big stretch to suggest we will be in the mix with a new coaching group and a couple of decent players being added to the squad.

Essendon made the finals this year and they are a pretty average team the Blues had no issues belting.

Boring campaigners are going to be boring campaigners though.

How is their salary cap going? They've made big contract offers to bring in McGovern, Williams, Martin, Saad and now Cerra. Cripps, McKay and Weitering have signed big deals recently and Walsh will get enormous offers.

That's 9 guys on very high end contracts. Hard to see how they fit them all in without somebody missing out. McGovern has 2 more years but Walsh will more than make up for any savings there. Feels like they're going to hit trouble at some point.

It's completely fine. The contracts for Martin and Saad are not big money, they are just public. McGovern finishes next year and was front loaded. Walsh doesn't have a big contract and won't until 2023. And beyond those we have almost zero players in the 24-30 range of anything other than bargain contracts. That's the area where clubs stack big money - most teams have 8-10 guys in that age bracket earning basically thr same as Jack Martin just by virtue of being good and rqching that point in their career. We have Jack Newnes and Nick Newman earning relative peanuts.

If our 21-24 year olds like De Koning, Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, Fisher, etc make a big leap in the next two years and earn themselves big next contracts then that's where we will struggle to keep them all. And And know what? If enough of those guys earn that for themselves (as McKay did this year) that's a very pleasant problem for us to have cos it probably means we are competing for premierships.

Not a big stretch to suggest we will be in the mix with a new coaching group and a couple of decent players being added to the squad.

Essendon made the finals this year and they are a pretty average team the Blues had no issues belting.

As Carlton should expect to make the 8.
Given almost half the comp makes the finals its not that Herculean an achievement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at the context of Sayer's comment about making finals the question was more about whether Carlton were rebuilding or not.

He replied that we are 'looking to make finals' next year which is not the same as 'expecting'. And I think that's absolutely right. We should be aiming for finals next year - as should 17 or so other teams.

Had he said ' we think it will take more than 12 months so we are just hoping to finish 12th again' that would have been far worse imo.

16 points is a belting? Lmao that's genuinely hilarious.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the question as well.

SOS was lauded as a genius by the Carlton faithful when he did those 'salary dumps' and 'mature bodies to play reserves and develop the youngsters' - they lapped up the kool aid.

But how many of us jumped on here and expressed the importance of valuing each and every list spot?

Now, 3 or 4 years on, what do you have? A best 22 comprised of a combination of first round draft picks and a mish mash of players being paid 10% to 20% overs after having been recruited from other teams.

Who are/will be the best 22 players who are draft picks from outside the first round, which is a key component of any team who contends for a flag?
Gee, I thought this was Melbourne‘s list you were describing for a second there Fadge.

Gee, I thought this was Melbourne‘s list you were describing for a second there Fadge.
Really? Who are the Carlton equivalents of these players:
Jake Bowey (Pick 21)
Trent Rivers (Pick 32)
Tom Sparrow (Pick 27)
James Jordan (Pick 33)
Charlie Spargo (Pick 29)
Bailey Fritsch (Pick 31)
Harrison Petty (Pick 37)
James Harmes (Rookie Pick 2)
Alex Neal-Bullen (Pick 40)
Tom McDonald (Pick 53)
Max Gawn (Pick 34)
These 11 players played in their 2021 Premiership team.

I have excluded:
Jack Viney (Pick 26) Father-Son (he was originally a pick 7 bid from Port Adelaide)
Mitch Hannon (Pick 46) (delisted from Doggies)
Joel Smith (Rookie Pick 41) - injured prior to Grand Final
Jayden Hunt (Pick 57) - unlucky to miss the Premiership team

Look at Simon Goodwin, look at him.
Won 5 games in a season and everyone pointed and laughed. Two years later he's the Coach of the Year with a premiership team.

Maybe Carlton should try picking a coach who they believe in and give them more than two seasons to develop the talent, instil the right culture and implement the right game plan.

Sadly Carlton's supporters have unrealistic expectations of the list, the pitchforks come out, and coach gets the arse.

Teaguey train was "on the right track" IMO.

When May fronted up to the Dees unfit and lacking the required standards of professionalism, including because IIRC he was going through a break up, Goodwin didn’t molly coddle him with the arm around the shoulder and tel him everything was going to be okay. He went down the tough love route. Teague would’ve down the opposite and May would probably have ended up as a BOG average defender.

Our improvement had been steady until we had an injury ravaged 2019 which was a significant reason for our 17th placed finish. Also we stuck with our coach through it all, stability cannot be underestimated.

You also made off field changes, including bringing in Williams. The people you assemble around the head coach are just as critical. Teague IMO could not cut it as a head coach but at the same time he was not helped by the assistants around him.

You post the most idiotic stuff and wonder why everyone treats you the way they do.

Carlton haven’t finished inside the 8 for a decade.

RUOK?

St Kilda took almost a decade to re-enter the finals race, Brisbane likewise up to 2019.

Melbourne took over a decade to get back into finals contention following an incredibly bleak period. Now they are rolling.

Things don’t stay the same forever, as much as you’d like them to. The Bombers may even win a final in the distant future.

Keep spinning those wheels though.

RUOK?

St Kilda took almost a decade to re-enter the finals race, Brisbane likewise up to 2019.

Melbourne took over a decade to get back into finals contention following an incredibly bleak period. Now they are rolling.

Things don’t stay the same forever, as much as you’d like them to. The Bombers may even win a final in the distant future.

Keep spinning those wheels though.

As I said:

You post the most idiotic stuff and wonder why everyone treats you the way they do.

When May fronted up to the Dees unfit and lacking the required standards of professionalism, including because IIRC he was going through a break up, Goodwin didn’t molly coddle him with the arm around the shoulder and tel him everything was going to be okay. He went down the tough love route. Teague would’ve down the opposite and May would probably have ended up as a BOG average defender.
Yeah I wouldn’t know much about that, but I was always quite impressed when Teague spoke. Much more articulate than Goodwin at least and seemed way more switched on than most AFL coaches. I’m not sure how he would have handled May in those circumstances, but some credit has to go to May for getting himself right too.

You really are a lost cause.

Compare these two responses to my comment, and consider why they get different reactions from people:

Leapfrog? That's more like stepping over a Lego brick.
Should be easy, but will bloody hurt if we take a misstep!

This one, a bit of humour, recognises that it's doable, doesn't come across like a douchebag.

We won our three games against St Kilda and Fremantle, and also happen to be taking on one of the Dockers best players.

Richmond and West Coast are both declining and pretty rubbish these days.

Essendon made the finals on 11 wins, and we belted them.

Finishing in the 8 really isn’t that difficult.

This one, posts like a flog, zero humour, no recognition that it's maybe not so easy given your clubs history, comes across like a douchebag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back