Strategy Which changes do we make at seasons end? (coaching, rec, dev, admin?)

What changes do we make at seasons end?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the gist for those on the wrong side of the paywall?

Craig Kelly has a lot of conflicts of interest given the number of assistants and prospective replacements for Buckley he manages (including Brad Scott) and the fact that he is close to Pert. The two of them helped orchestrate that damned succession plan.

Club board is scheduled to meet in a fortnight. Prevailing wisdom is that Buckley coaches the year out unless he walks. McGuire arrives back Thursday night...

Craig Kelly has a lot of conflicts of interest given the number of assistants and prospective replacements for Buckley he manages (including Brad Scott) and the fact that he is close to Pert. The two of them helped orchestrate that damned succession plan.

Club board is scheduled to meet in a fortnight. Prevailing wisdom is that Buckley coaches the year out unless he walks. McGuire arrives back Thursday night...
Do you think Eddie flew Emirates?

I would like to see an independent review on all levels of the club, ...

Isn't that pretty much what we're getting now with the Peter Murphy review?

He might have diddly squad idea about whether Broomhead should be selected or dropped, but that's not what a reviewer does. They ask all kinds of questions about "What is your purpose, what are your objectives, what are your systems, what people have you got around you and what fo they do? What is your plan? What are your key problems? How are you addressing them? If he asks a bunch of different people the same questions and compares the answers he'll quickly get a sense of how well the joint is running (or not) and who is doing their job well (or not)

Consultancies (like the one Peter Murphy operates) deal with very complex problems across a broad range of industries all the time.

Usually it actually helps not having a background in the industry (footy in this case). It means that the reviewer can ask dumb questions that do need to be asked. It means the reviewer is more inclined to look at the big picture rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae ... for example: how well the senior coach works with the recruiting department to recruit players who are optimal for the gameplan, rather than the specifics of why Ben Reid wasn't selected to play in the Hawthorn game.

The problem ATM with Peter Murphy doing the review is that Collingwood is a very public organisation and nobody seems to know who he is and what he's doing and how he operates. Even the details about his terms of reference have been a bit mixed.

We're just going to have to be patient.

Back in 2006 Geelong conducted a full review of their club, they even held onto their (under siege) senior coach, and yet they've done pretty well since?

... held from a respected person whether that is Parkin, Roos, Mathews etc or maybe get it from all 3 and see if there is any common denominators from the 3 reports.

Parkin - he'd be long past it - think over 10 years older than Malthouse, and the last time he coached a footy team computers looked like this ...

images

... not even Carlton involve him in reviews anymore. If you had a choice between David Parkin or Ange Postecoglou on your coach selection panel, which one would you choose? So did Carlton.

Matthews - he's currently on the Brisbane Lions board of directors. That probably wouldn't work.

Roos - yeah, maybe. I don't think you can just send someone in like Roos and expect success to instantly work. IMO things happen at a higher level than that, it starts with club administration.

Last edited:
If we're hand picking a selection panel.

Dunstall is an obvious one. Great of the game, board experience, history of excellence and very intelligent in an every day sense as well!

Frank Ponissi is the second. Being the football director of the most consistently high achieving sporting club in Australia means he's a no brainer.

What's the gist for those on the wrong side of the paywall?
I know it was answered however, here's the list of coaches Craig Kelly manages...
THE KELLY GANG

Coaches managed by Craig Kelly’s TLA empire

Nathan Buckley - Collingwood senior coach

Scott Burns - Collingwood midfield coach

Robert Harvey - Collingwood backline coach

Brad Scott - North Melbourne senior coach

Chris Scott - Geelong senior coach

Alan Richardson - St Kilda senior coach

Simon Goodwin - Melbourne senior coach

Adam Simpson - West Coast senior coach

Leon Cameron - GWS senior coach

John Barker - Carlton stoppages coach

Mark Harvey - Essendon defence coach

Matthew Knights - Geelong midfield coach

Dean Solomon - Gold Coast midfield coach

Justin Leppitsch - Richmond forwards coach

Brendon Lade - Port Adelaide forwards and rucks coach

Adam Kingsley - St Kilda midfield coach

Stuart Dew - Sydney assistant coach

McGuire arrives back Thursday night...

Overheard in the Holden Centre yesterday:

Buckley: "Hey Scott, I was thinking of taking the team up to the Gold Coast a day early on Thursday, give the lads an extra day to out of the bubble, to get some extra sunshine, and to freshen up a bit?"

Pendles: "C'mon, I'm a dad now, I don't have the freedom to do that kind of thing anymore. And you know the AFLPA rules, you're not allowed to just spring that on us like that."

Buckley: "Ed arrives back in town Thursday night"

Pendles: "You arrange the tickets for Thursday, leave the AFLPA for me to sort out. See you at the airport."

As he prepares to return to Melbourne, I reckon Eddie will be bitterly regretting his decision to call an Annual Members' Meeting. In 2014 when that first meeting was held at the MCC, it was suggested by many media people, that Ed had called the meeting to head-off the growing lynch mob furious at the team's performance and the alarming injury list. From memory, there were reports that Ed had called meetings within the club and had gone in swinging. Mr Davoren did not escape Ed's wrath. They've been pretty staid affairs since then, but I'm going to book my seats early this year. The 2017 Members' Meeting is guaranteed to be one for the ages.

As he prepares to return to Melbourne, I reckon Eddie will be bitterly regretting his decision to call an Annual Members' Meeting. In 2014 when that first meeting was held at the MCC, it was suggested by many media people, that Ed had called the meeting to head-off the growing lynch mob furious at the team's performance and the alarming injury list. From memory, there were reports that Ed had called meetings within the club and had gone in swinging. Mr Davoren did not escape Ed's wrath. They've been pretty staid affairs since then, but I'm going to book my seats early this year. The 2017 Members' Meeting is guaranteed to be one for the ages.

I reckon the fireworks will have already gone off and the the dust will be settling by the time we get to this year's meeting. It'll be orchestrated to be another staid affair.

You might be onto something here ... Carlton is on the rise after all. Let's all think about it is all I am saying!
Carlton on the rise.
They still look like they are in the toilet bowl to me.
Well may it continue..... long

Probably. Club sponsor, and all that.

But the real question is, was he on the same flight as Jennifer Aniston...?
Why?

Is she a friend ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media won't play, can we get a thumbnail sketch of what occurs at 1:23
Assistant coaches other than Sanderson don't have a contract for next year. Usually know their fate by Aug 1 but that is all up in the air at the moment and they are in limbo.

Media won't play, can we get a thumbnail sketch of what occurs at 1:23

That's when the segment starts.

But, in summary, Tom Browne reporting that all of the assistants bar Sanderson are out of contract. With contracts linked to Buckley's, they all face an uncertain future and won't find out their fate until the review of football (I presume he is referencing the one being done by Geoff Walsh) is complete. Usually, out of contract assistants are notified by August 1st what their futures are...

I found this staggering.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/who-makes-the-calls-on-your-clubs-recruits

The Magpies, perhaps surprisingly given their status as the competition's biggest club, are on the smaller side in the recruiting area. Derek Hine is the boss: he makes the final call in the recruiting and trade/free agency decisions as its list manager. He joined the club in 2003 but officially became its list and recruiting manager several years ago as lieutenants Dom Milesi and Matthew Rendell stepped up their roles. Rendell joined the Pies after his stint as Crows recruiting manager, including the brave call to select Patrick Dangerfield at No.10 in 2007. Rendell's role at the Pies includes identifying the talent, with Milesi adept at using the statistics to provide extra analysis. Adam Shepard is a national recruiting officer, and the Pies have part-time managers in all states, and about 15 scouts who report to them from around the country. The Pies call on some consultants in terms of the organisation of data, but are relatively thin in the core team.

How the hell are we one of the smallest when it comes to recruiting. Where the hell is our money going? Considering the Dogs have a much bigger recruiting staff yet spend more then a million a year less then us on the footy dept.

So there's one change we need to make. Not really a change but we need to give Hine more support. Go nuts, break the footy depth salary cap, pay the tax and increase the size of our recruiting network.

I found this staggering.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/who-makes-the-calls-on-your-clubs-recruits

How the hell are we one of the smallest when it comes to recruiting. Where the hell is our money going? Considering the Dogs have a much bigger recruiting staff yet spend more then a million a year less then us on the footy dept.

So there's one change we need to make. Not really a change but we need to give Hine more support. Go nuts, break the footy depth salary cap, pay the tax and increase the size of our recruiting network.

Que?

Article say "Adam Shepard is a national recruiting officer, and the Pies have part-time managers in all states, and about 15 scouts who report to them from around the country."

Think that'd give us good coverage.

The story below gives a generalist overview of where FD's spend their cash.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-02/making-the-new-cap-fit

There was a story about what each club spent on FD's in 2016 but I've had a quick look and can't find it. Not sure that the Doggies were that far below the cap.

That's when the segment starts.

But, in summary, Tom Browne reporting that all of the assistants bar Sanderson are out of contract. With contracts linked to Buckley's, they all face an uncertain future and won't find out their fate until the review of football (I presume he is referencing the one being done by Geoff Walsh) is complete. Usually, out of contract assistants are notified by August 1st what their futures are...
Certainly believe Harvey will go, Burns the same...and development coaches Rocca & Lockyer's time at the club must come to an end. So if some out there believe the playing list needs another rebuild then the entire football department is in the same boat...

Isn't that pretty much what we're getting now with the Peter Murphy review?

He might have diddly squad idea about whether Broomhead should be selected or dropped, but that's not what a reviewer does. They ask all kinds of questions about "What is your purpose, what are your objectives, what are your systems, what people have you got around you and what fo they do? What is your plan? What are your key problems? How are you addressing them? If he asks a bunch of different people the same questions and compares the answers he'll quickly get a sense of how well the joint is running (or not) and who is doing their job well (or not)

Consultancies (like the one Peter Murphy operates) deal with very complex problems across a broad range of industries all the time.

Usually it actually helps not having a background in the industry (footy in this case). It means that the reviewer can ask dumb questions that do need to be asked. It means the reviewer is more inclined to look at the big picture rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae ... for example: how well the senior coach works with the recruiting department to recruit players who are optimal for the gameplan, rather than the specifics of why Ben Reid wasn't selected to play in the Hawthorn game.
Speaking of dumb questions, do we know whether the findings and recommendations from the review will be made available to members? Seems like it could give away strategic advantages and IP but at the same time it would be nice to get some clarity on whats been going wrong for the last few years.

Speaking of dumb questions, do we know whether the findings and recommendations from the review will be made available to members? Seems like it could give away strategic advantages and IP but at the same time it would be nice to get some clarity on whats been going wrong for the last few years.

You'd think they'd release the abridged version, without the gannet. Can make generalist statements about findings and recommendations.

You'd think they'd release the abridged version, without the gannet. Can make generalist statements about findings and recommendations.
I'd be fine with things being abridged and redacted as long as the purpose isn't to save face

Personally what i would like to see is Bucks step back to assistant. I still believe he has the makings of a good coach. It seems like you need years of experience sitting and observing how to address the team through breaks and how to make good decisions game day. If he served under a person who has been in the system for a long time, stepped back and took it all in i still think he can become a good head coach.

FWIW if he took it all in he would be an excellent assistant coach, if he doesnt score a head coaching job he will definitely get an assistant job somewhere. I hope we keep him. If we keep Bucks it will hurt the club a lot, membership numbers and attending will plummet. If we were to jag a Paul Roos and bite the bullet on players like Mayne and Blair i think we see a big resurgence.

Personally a big change in the assistant coaches with Bucks going back to assistant with Roos or Clarkson as head coach or if they doesnt want it then i would like to see Dew, Bassett or Ratten. Lets be honest Ratten did not have much to work with when he was coaching Carlton, we go into this draft/trade period in a strong position (currency wise) and he has been a part of the Hawthorn successful assistant coaching system (really like the way Bolton has his players going about it).

Back