Who are you most excited to watch next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a great season this year after his ankle injury hindered him in 2014 so I don't think that's going to surprise anybody.
Really? I've seen A LOT of best 22's with him forgotten about completely lol.

He's a back 6 lock every day of the week. Finished the year phenomenally.

Really? I've seen A LOT of best 22's with him forgotten about completely lol.

He's a back 6 lock every day of the week. Finished the year phenomenally.

Exactly.

For their impact on the game the three players I'm most excited to watch will be Carlisle, Brown and Goddard, the recruitment of two and the return of one, have the potential to completely change our game plan and selection priorities.

Down back the need for third up diminishes massively, if it needs to be done mostly it will be Roberton allowing Savage. McKenzie, Newnes and Webster more of a running with the ball and delivering roles, Geary continues as the small defender concentrating more on his own game and defensive efforts, Carlisle back means the need for Gears to be the general all the time diminishes too. Montagna gets to rotate through the midfield and adds outside foot speed and even more depth. Roberton and Webster can adapt to the Rooey role, taking pressure off his knees during games and allowing longer rests between interstate travelling. No need to play him even partly injured.

We've all talked about the using Carlisle as the resting ruck, the big change is then what the forwards can do. Bruce doesn't have to ruck- obviously- but it allows him an to play as a full time forward, Paddy to not be injured and fitter with Hughey coming in allows depth forward as well as back, between those three and Roo rotating as three marking forwards and genuine targets, both sides of the ground open up as well as deep or shallow entries. The foot skills to actually hit a target and Hawthorn's rotating three tall forwards in 2008 becomes a game plan that we can run at will. Membrey gets to play true medium instead of third tall, and all of a sudden with Acres, Steel, Weller and Billings we have genuine marking options regardless of height as well as their collective ground skills along with Gresham and Lonie. The same can be said down back depending on selection, we can play tall, medium and small depending on form and opposition.

No more undersize defenders and the need to select a team to flood back and support them, no more robbing the forward line, to give Hickey a chop out, with the addition of Steele and Stevens effectively we gain 20 mins of our first choice midfielders, defence and forwards every game. More running forward of the ball, better delivery, more targets, greater strength over the ball, and in the air. I can only dream of how dynamic and exciting our game plan will be next year.

Purely for the pleasure of watching their progress it will be Acres, Billings, Gresham and Steele for me.

Can't wait to watch Carlisle play back. Will be a star.

Though with his marking and kicking I still love him forward but obviously not needed with you guys.
Bonce, do you see Jake being able to play a loose man in defence role with good effect? Obviously his intercept marking is good but does he read the play well enough?

Just think with Brown's recruitment and our attacking gameplan it would be a chance against teams without multiple KPFs.

Bonce, do you see Jake being able to play a loose man in defence role with good effect? Obviously his intercept marking is good but does he read the play well enough?

Just think with Brown's recruitment and our attacking gameplan it would be a chance against teams without multiple KPFs.
To be honest I think your better off playing him as a genuine CHB. While I loved him forward the biggest issue he had was he got lost reading the play at times, it was just his clunking ability was so good we could just put it on his head anyway.

Personally I think he plays much better when he is following someone to the contests. Put him at CHB and you'll see a return to 2012 where he was in AA calculations at the half way point of the season.

However that weakness I mentioned could have just been due to our lousy ball movement and he could play the role perfectly. :p

Why we have Hickey Longer Holmes borderline too many Rucks .
I hope it's only on occasion at boundary throw ins in our backline .
Well because those guys aren't in the team. Hickey will need a chop out at times Carlisle is better than Bruce at it. He will take some centre bounces

Well because those guys aren't in the team. Hickey will need a chop out at times Carlisle is better than Bruce at it. He will take some centre bounces
Fair enough it's just me l hate non Ruckman at Centre bounces all l see is a prospective knee injury .

Remember he'll be second ruck for a part

I don't believe that TBH. How many CHB's are the back up ruckmen? We're no better off throwing him in there then we are Bruce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what was said, Bruce even said it once when he was interviewed.
Carlisle can ruck better than Bruce. Josh is very average in ruck
Agreed, plus think we have the talls to allow us have Jake in the ruck. When Hickey's off and Jakey goes in Riewoldt can drop behind the ball if needed or even have Bruce play back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back