Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast
Richmond
Adelaide
Collingwood

Stephenson reminds me of Dangerfield in his 2nd year
Will be a top 5 player in 5 years

Yup an we will be playing with 17 men of course not replacing Hogan in anyway

Yeah but this thread isnt who scores the most points. Its who has the best forward line, meaning your front 6. It has nothing to do with goals from the others around the ground so the other 17 players is meaningless.

Yeah but this thread isnt who scores the most points. Its who has the best forward line, meaning your front 6. It has nothing to do with goals from the others around the ground so the other 17 players is meaningless.

I don't think Melbourne has the best 6 on paper but surely you see how silly this post is...

I think people claiming the Pies are in contention for the best forward line have absolutely no idea.

De Goey could be anything and us an awesome talent. Stephenson us very promising.

Cox is better than I thought he would be and developing. He's nowhere near Riewiold, Kennedy , Walker or any number of tall forwards for skill and effectiveness right now.

The Pies have an awesome midfield and went very close last year on the back of it. It doesn't follow they have a great forward line. Given the opportunities their midfield give their forwards it only needs to be competent anyway.

I think people claiming the Pies are in contention for the best forward line have absolutely no idea.

De Goey could be anything and us an awesome talent. Stephenson us very promising.

Cox is better than I thought he would be and developing. He's nowhere near Riewiold, Kennedy , Walker or any number of tall forwards for skill and effectiveness right now.

The Pies have an awesome midfield and went very close last year on the back of it. It doesn't follow they have a great forward line. Given the opportunities their midfield give their forwards it only needs to be competent anyway.

They averaged 2 ... 2 more inside 50s per game than the 10th best side so that argument doesn't hold merit

I think it does.

Your post ignores the quality of the entries a dominant midfield allows.

They averaged 2 more inside 50s than the 10th most prolific in Adelaide
They averaged .5 more marks inside 50 than the 14th most prolific StKilda

So where is their midfield papering over the cracks of their average forward line?

They averaged 2 more inside 50s than the 10th most prolific in Adelaide
They averaged .5 more marks inside 50 than the 14th most prolific StKilda

So where is their midfield papering over the cracks of their average forward line?
I find those stats just wierd, and dont get what they are meant to prove.

If you look at their finals with a dominant midfield in all 4, it was only the PF against the Tigers defence they regularly took mark's in the right spots in the forward 50. In the GF when they were rampant in the first QTR the only mark inside 50 was WHE deep in the pocket in a bad place. He slotted it and kudos but still.

In the SF we were smashed at the contested ball and the clearances, and Sidebottom had it on a string outside. They deserved to win with that dominance no argument. Our back seven were able to keep us in the game when the stats suggest we shouldn't have been able to.

So I do reject they have the best, or even close to the best forward line in the comp. They have very close to the best team though.

Last edited:
I reckon if Stephenson and Rioli swapped clubs. Rioli would of score 50 goals for Collingwood last year. Stephenson wouldn’t have been as effective in west coasts system.

If I compare to a player from 2018 at Carlton. Matthew Wright. If he played for Coll in 2018 he would of scored 38+ goals too. Stephenson is playing welldue to collingwoods system. He can afford not to man up and just roam around and attack. He gets 1 goal a game out the back due to other midfielders excellent work.

Stephenson has set the bar so high in just one year that many opposition supporters are already racing in to downplay his ability and importance

Stephenson has set the bar so high in just one year that many opposition supporters are already racing in to downplay his ability and importance

Correct, Rioli’s career average inside 50’s are actually 2.25 vs Stephensons 1st year @ 2.42.
Rioli’s 1st year ave for inside 50’s is 1.72.
Chew on that Zoom or should we call you Finger?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Collingwood have the best forwardline but it’s definitely up there. De Goey and Hoskin-Elliott both kicked over 40 goals in 2018. Stephenson and Thomas both contributed over 35 goals. Mihocek contributed 29 over 16 games. Extrapolate it out to a full season and he kicks around 40 goals also. Then there’s Cox with only 25 goals. Posters don’t seem to get that Collingwood don’t rely on their key forwards to kick goals like other teams do. Beating Collingwood requires shutting down most, if not all, of Collingwood’s forwards because they’ve all proven capable of kicking a bag in any given week. Add a fit Jamie Elliott to the mix and you’ve got one of the hardest forward lines in the league to defend.

Probably not the best forwardline but I’m struggling to think of another that is as even from top to bottom.

I don’t think Collingwood have the best forwardline but it’s definitely up there. De Goey and Hoskin-Elliott both kicked over 40 goals in 2018. Stephenson and Thomas both contributed over 35 goals. Mihocek contributed 29 over 16 games. Extrapolate it out to a full season and he kicks around 40 goals also. Then there’s Cox with only 25 goals. Posters don’t seem to get that Collingwood don’t rely on their key forwards to kick goals like other teams do. Beating Collingwood requires shutting down most, if not all, of Collingwood’s forwards because they’ve all proven capable of kicking a bag in any given week. Add a fit Jamie Elliott to the mix and you’ve got one of the hardest forward lines in the league to defend.

Probably not the best forwardline but I’m struggling to think of another that is as even from top to bottom.

Many like to point out Collingwood’s key forward deficiencies but won’t comment on our very strong array of small forwards, but all goals are worth six points no matter who kicks them or whether they came from contested marks or ground balls. Sure we don’t have JJK/Darling or Riewoldt/Lynch but where are their De Goey/WHE/Elliott/Stephenson/Thomas’? We have five small to medium forwards who are capable of kicking a bag and winning a game, most clubs have 1 or 2. And of course the aforementioned Cox and Mihocek are decent contributors at worst too as key forwards, and Cox’s instinctive taps and knock-one have shown to be vital in creating goals for our smaller dudes.

For us to nab Rioli at that +50 speculative range is insane. Its like taking Dean Kemp at pick 100 25 years ago. Talk about flip a list! People other than me/us speculating that he may well be the best Rioli and I dunno about that. Just beautiful to watch.

Last edited:
Lets look at this hypothetical Willie Rioli and Stephenson trade with some logic.

Say hypothetically right now, they are completely equal in everything form/talent wise. Stephenson is still 4 years younger, wouldn’t you do the trade in hope to get 4 bonus seasons from Stephenson?

For Collingwood to want Rioli, hes going have to offer more or something(that Stephenson won’t) to make up for the 4 seasons of football we lose.

Right now im really struggling to see how Rioli’s next 7-8 years offers more than Stephensons next 11-12 years, he simply has to offer more than Stephenson to make up for the age loss.

Thats not even mentioning Stephensons very high draft positioning(which was still lowered due to the heart condition) and then flawless transition to senior football, both of which still very relevent in this point of time when discussing trades.

Lets be real, Rioli is steak knives in a deal involving Stephenson and thats just a fact. Stephenson was drafted with pick 6 and 12 months later has a rising star award and a 40 goal season behind him, his stock has only risen and an offer of his original pick 6 would now be ignored.

Whats Willie Rioli getting on the open trade market? Pick 20-25? Maybe pick 15-20 from a side like GCS/Carlton who can afford to pay overs?

Last edited:

Beating Collingwood actually involves shutting down Sidebottom as West Coast showed, and a lot of hard work competing with their mids at the contest.

Beating Collingwood actually involves shutting down Sidebottom as West Coast showed, and a lot of hard work competing with their mids at the contest.

Literally one kick difference between them. You post that like WC had a magical formula to beat them. They won on the last goal of the game. The last

Everyone of Collingwoods forwards is capable of kicking 3 or 4.

Name the sides with better forward lines

Literally one kick difference between them. You post that like WC had a magical formula to beat them. They won on the last goal of the game. The last

Everyone of Collingwoods forwards is capable of kicking 3 or 4.

Name the sides with better forward lines
I never said it was a dominant GF win though. I dont think you cant see the difference between team perfomance and forward line.You jump randomly from one to the other, making discussion pointless.

I never said it was a dominant GF win though. I dont think you cant see the difference between team perfomance and forward line.You jump randomly from one to the other, making discussion pointless.

You insinuated that WC shut down Sidebottom an curbed their midfield, so it was either their defence or attack that nearly won it for them.

Again, which teams have better forward lines than Collingwood

You insinuated that WC shut down Sidebottom an curbed their midfield, so it was either their defence or attack that nearly won it for them.

Again, which teams have better forward lines than Collingwood
I didn't insinuate anything. I stated it.

Shutting down Sidebottom brought their rampant midfield dominance back to manageable levels. I never said or intended to say it curbed them.

I dont follow other peoples instructions on what to post. You'll just have to live with that.

I didn't insinuate anything. I stated it.

Shutting down Sidebottom brought their rampant midfield dominance back to manageable levels. I never said or intended to say it curbed them.

I dont follow other peoples instructions on what to post. You'll just have to live with that.

It's pretty simple in a discussion. You refuse to give them any credit an now im asking your opinion on who's better an your being stubborn like a child?

It's pretty simple in a discussion. You refuse to give them any credit an now im asking your opinion on who's better an your being stubborn like a child?
Literally nothing in your post is true, and now you descend to personal insult. I'm done with this discussion.

Back