List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I read somewhere that the Big O has put pen to paper?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dunno if he put pen to paper.... the headline seemed to indicate that...read that article but it was just a re-run on him & Hinge being upgraded to the senior list.

Edit:https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/e5d1c31af7b401a66525d435861d3d7b
Brisbane re-signs Oscar McInerney, two others as list takes shape
Towering Brisbane big man Oscar McInerney has been elevated off the club’s rookie list as the Lions re-signed another young gun and a veteran utility.

Brisbane cult hero Oscar McInerney will head into next season a senior Lion after being elevated from the rookie list off the back of his standout 2019.
The versatile ruckman adapted well to full-forward duties throughout the year was among Brisbane’s best in their home-and-away leap from 15th to 2nd, booting 10 goals from 21 games including braces against North Melbourne in Rounds 2 and 18.

McInerney, who is contracted through to the end of 2021, will be joined by Mitch Hinge on the senior list after the 21-year-old’s breakout season.
It took three years for Hinge to make his Lions debut — the Round 9 win over Adelaide — and Brisbane have repaid the faith by offering him a one-year contract to stay at the Den.

Veteran utility Ryan Lester was also offered a one-year contract extension that will see him rack up a 10th season with the Lions.

The 27-year-old featured in nine senior games last season, taking his career tally to 126 games since being drafted to the club with Pick 28 at the 2010 AFL Draft.
As a utility, Lester can swing between the forward and backline and played nine senior games for the Lions in 2019.
Both Hinge and Lester played in the undefeated NEAFL team’s grand final win over Southport with Lions football manager David Noble hailing their efforts

Last edited:
. In fairness, there haven't been too many reasons in the past couple of years to watch football north of the Murray...
While I agree for your average Joe, I find it frustrating when AFL "pundits" show no reticence in having an opinion on something they clearly weren't watching. Buckenara was one of the worst from memory.

While I agree for your average Joe, I find it frustrating when AFL "pundits" show no reticence in having an opinion on something they clearly weren't watching. Buckenara was one of the worst from memory.
Maybe... Not knowing the exact ins and outs... I will say that Buckenara was a shifty footballer both on and off the field.. He openly states he wants to forget his Senior Coach gig at the Swans...As the Hawks recruiting manager from '99 to '15 (they did well out of other clubs during his time)...maybe part of that 'opinion' was to throw others off the scent.

The AFL have deliberately designed a system that facilitates a flow of players; list spots must be created so that new players can enter the system.

Our club has also improved the quality of its players and its list management strategy. With a proven game plan we can be very specific about the players we target.

The net result of all of these factors is that the players that left our club (through proactive trading and delisting) is of higher quality than it ever has been before. It's fair to feel sad, Ben, Nick, Josh etc have all had good games and looked capable of solid careers with us.

The reality is we have a finite number of list spots and the current administration is getting results.

It's the recession we had to have.

If you're following AFL to watch every kid become a 300 gamer you're gonna have a bad time.

Have really felt this with Bastinac. Watched him since he was drafted, thought he'd be a star for us when we traded him in and it's been hard to watch him slowly die.

Have really felt this with Bastinac. Watched him since he was drafted, thought he'd be a star for us when we traded him in and it's been hard to watch him slowly die.

Its unfortunate, sometimes is just the situation they are in, sometimes they lose that drive, sometimes a new coach cant find the right role for them, theres so many things that change and impact players careers. Its the nature of the game.

Its unfortunate, sometimes is just the situation they are in, sometimes they lose that drive, sometimes a new coach cant find the right role for them, theres so many things that change and impact players careers. Its the nature of the game.

In many ways it's like your Sweet FA posting career. Just got worse and worse until you were forced out :(

The reality is that we've reached a turning point in list management that we haven't seen for a decade or more. No longer can we, or should we, select or retain players on all those attributes we've valued for years - loyalty, retention and to a degree culture above all other things. And it's pretty gut wrenching to see those loyal soldiers who busted their guts and give their all for us have their papers stamped.

Along with the obvious rise in our fortunes and list, what Noble has done in management is bought a confidence that we previously lacked. To be able to present a confident, astute, directed and purposeful package to prospective players - both for those considering Brisbane as a club or more importantly to those who previously hadn't considered us as a club, changes our pitch dramatically.

We're playing with the big boys now. We're a top 4 team and in every aspect of the game we need to act like it. Like we deserve to be there. That we've earned the right.

Part of that change in mindset is a ruthlessness and determination we really haven't been able to show for a very long time.

Want Brisbane to be a destination club? Act like one. Don't be timid about your goals, your beliefs or your expectations. Would Lachie or Charlie be here if we had gone in meek and mild? I very much doubt it.

We let our selves believe our own down trodden, screwed over rhetoric for a very long time. For a while deservedly so, but it went on for too long and we reaped what we sowed.

Yes, it hurts to see guys who once were the very fabric of our club depart. Unfortunately for them, this is our moment. We have to be hard. We have to strive. We have to no longer settle - because our competition isn't either.

I don't like it one bit, but I hope we suffer this angst for year after year after year. Because if we are, we are striving for improvement. And if it's done in a respectful, honest and understanding way, our club will continue to improve both on and off the field.

Last edited:
The reality is that we've reached a turning point in list management that we haven't seen for a decade or more. No longer can we, or should we, select or retain players on all those attributes we've valued for years - loyalty, retention and to a degree culture above all other things. And it's pretty gut wrenching to see those loyal soldiers who busted their guts and give their all for us have their papers stamped.

Along with the obvious rise in our fortunes and list, what Noble has done in management is bought a confidence that we previously lacked. To be able to present a confident, astute, directed and purposeful package to prospective players - both for those considering Brisbane as a club or more importantly to those who previously hadn't considered us as a club, changes our pitch dramatically.

We're playing with the big boys now. We're a top 4 team and in every aspect of the game we need to act like it. Like we deserve to be there. That we've earned the right.

Part of that change in mindset is a ruthlessness and determination we really haven't been able to show for a very long time.

Want Brisbane to be a destination club? Act like one. Don't be timid about your goals, your beliefs or your expectations. Would Lachie or Charlie be here if we had gone in meek and mild? I very much doubt it.

We let our selves believe our own down trodden, screwed over rhetoric for a very long time. For a while deservedly so, but it went on for too long and we reaped what we sowed.

Yes, it hurts to see guys who once were the very fabric of our club depart. Unfortunately for them, this is our moment. We have to be hard. We have to strive. We have to no longer settle - because our competition isn't either.

I don't like it one bit, but I hope we suffer this angst for year after year after year. Because if we are, we are striving for improvement. And if it's done in a respectful, honest and understanding way, our club will continue to improve both on and off the field.

I agree with everything you have said. I have said it myself several times lately.

Only thing that remains to be seen is.. are we ready to fully step away from the 'cotton wool on culture' model?

The off-season will tell us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I like the delistings, but I do. Though these were the guys that carried us through the thin times they were a big part of the reason for the thin times. Remember Mitch saying the opposition teams thought / new we were the easy beat? There was a reason for that & a lot of it came down to the playing group. On decent to big bucks to supply mostly s**t with a bit of hope here & there.

We're looking like a team that cares about the result now, not just the pay packet.

Not that I like the delistings, but I do. Though these were the guys that carried us through the thin times they were a big part of the reason for the thin times. Remember Mitch saying the opposition teams thought / new we were the easy beat? There was a reason for that & a lot of it came down to the playing group. On decent to big bucks to supply mostly s**t with a bit of hope here & there.

We're looking like a team that cares about the result now, not just the pay packet.
Wowza two guys get traded to emerging clubs lists to hopefully continue developing their careers, 4 guys who were among best in an undefeated neafl side go and that is your assessment? A bit of hope here and there but mostly s**t

Wowza two guys get traded to emerging clubs lists to hopefully continue developing their careers, 4 guys who were among best in an undefeated neafl side go and that is your assessment? A bit of hope here and there but mostly s**t

I think the essence of what he is saying is true. They are all players that might get games on decent coin in a struggling team, but that you would expect get pushed out of a team that is premiership quality, maybe just not all at once.

For sure, in comparison to some other league players I just don't think they are ones we could really lump with guys that are just there for some coin that don't add to culture and helping the tide rise generally which these guys did

For sure, in comparison to some other league players I just don't think they are ones we could really lump with guys that are just there for some coin that don't add to culture and helping the tide rise generally which these guys did

Yep, perfect for where we were at. Loyal, serviceable and didn't get poached by other teams. Each of them added to our build and culture. The club decided now is the time to get ruthless, I thought they might move on a couple and do it next year but they really must think we are ready.

Yep, perfect for where we were at. Loyal, serviceable and didn't get poached by other teams. Each of them added to our build and culture. The club decided now is the time to get ruthless, I thought they might move on a couple and do it next year but they really must think we are ready.

Must admit they all seemed to have reached their ceiling (with us anyways). Admire them all for getting the best out of themselves but I would imagine all would rather try their hands elsewhere than be eternally labelled 'depth'.

Id expect the club said to other clubs during trade period that we'd facilitate a trade for any of the delisted players before the end of trade, but also respected their decision to instead wait for them to be delisted free agents.

Im sure during the exit interviews something of a similar nature would have been communicated to them as well.

As I said, I didn't like the delistings, I had become attached to these guys, but, they had to go or we stayed in the rut and starting the go home cycle again, rinse & repeat.

Good on them for doing so well in the NEAFL, but that's NOT where they had to do well to make us a successful club. We came close to winning a few more than we did last season, but oddly with these guys playing predominantly NEAFL we managed to finish top 4 end of this season. Speaks for itself.

They weren’t the reason for the “thin times”.

Except for Keays, they were all drafted, or traded in, in the aftermath of the go home 5.

The go home 5, and further back, the poor list management, were the reasons for the “thin times”.

They were 18 and 19 year old kids, except for Bastinac, thrust in to the best 22, often because they were the best options we had, and they had very little quality senior players around them, to protect and guide them.

Now, they’ve been overtaken by better, younger talent, or been replaced by more experienced and higher quality traded in players.

This is what good list management looks like.

To say they were a big part of the reason for the “thin times”, to me displays a complete lack of understanding of why our list was in the position it was in, and laying blame at the feet of the wrong people, the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back