List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can assume the reasoning for losing Walker is 1) Adams and 2) Payne. I wonder if we really needed to draft Adams, Walker seemed to be doing a similar role with a more than serviceable intercepting mark.

Payne must be the long term goal to replace Adams.
It was said this year that Walker doesn’t have the ability to play on the smaller/ish players where Adams does.
And that was the area that Walker needed to work on. The ability to be able to play on different types within games, as different players role through, is extremely valuable.
Payne is quite quick so may have that ability as well.

Some nice jersey numbers have become available this year:1, 2, 4, 14, 18, 26 and 28 are available. I wonder if anyone will ask for a jersey change.

Answerth and Oscar, since they are out in the 40’s but I suppose sometimes players grow attached to their number or get superstitious about a change.
#1 is the devils number over recent years. Can't remember the last #1 having a long career with us. Headland got a flag with us but only played 52 games and the list goes on.

Listening to Noble on SEN this morning,he said that there would be further modifications to the list this week. He also suggested that we would be drafting Coleman and Cumberland as academy picks. Based on that it appears that there could be more delistings to come.

Listening to Noble on SEN this morning,he said that there would be further modifications to the list this week. He also suggested that we would be drafting Coleman and Cumberland as academy picks. Based on that it appears that there could be more delistings to come.
I imagine that may involve swapping someone onto the rookie list for OMac.

In a year when the delisting process has been so difficult, I'm surprised Hinge has survived. I'd have thought the emergence of Answerth and recruitment of Ah Chee and Birchall would have meant the end of his time with us. I admit that I didn't find his senior performances all that impressive and, while he played well in the NEAFL, a lot of blokes did well there. And I think Allison is a somewhat similar type that we've got to retain for another year (unless we pay him out).

I'd have Hinge off the list and move Corey Lyons onto the rookie list.

I imagine that may involve swapping someone onto the rookie list for OMac.

In a year when the delisting process has been so difficult, I'm surprised Hinge has survived. I'd have thought the emergence of Answerth and recruitment of Ah Chee and Birchall would have meant the end of his time with us. I admit that I didn't find his senior performances all that impressive and, while he played well in the NEAFL, a lot of blokes did well there. And I think Allison is a somewhat similar type that we've got to retain for another year (unless we pay him out).

I'd have Hinge off the list and move Corey Lyons onto the rookie list.

Do we have anything even semi-official on Hinge? I'm very very surprised he survived.

Do we have anything even semi-official on Hinge? I'm very very surprised he survived.
It might still be to come but, if he is to be delisted, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have occurred when the other players were announced as leaving. After all, he's a 2nd year rookie who played bugger all senior footy. It is almost a no-brainer that he will be delisted and yet, the club hasn't said anything which makes me think he's either staying or they are weighing up list options.

It might still be to come but, if he is to be delisted, I'm not sure why it wouldn't have occurred when the other players were announced as leaving. After all, he's a 2nd year rookie who played bugger all senior footy. It is almost a no-brainer that he will be delisted and yet, the club hasn't said anything which makes me think he's either staying or they are weighing up list options.

Seems a strange one, like you said seems an obvious candidate. That he hasn’t been included with those announced to date would seem to indicate the club hasn’t made a decision to delist Mitch at this stage. Otherwise it surely would have been included in the weekends news. If the club is weighing up list options then it has to be that the club considers we lack real depth in wingers, yeah? Perhaps if this is the case he gets a one year contract until we can find better options?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think he has actually been on the rookie list for 3 years so he would have to be upgraded to the main list if they are to keep him. Seems a bit strange that they would do that considering he hasn’t really shown a lot when he has plpayed in the seniors. And from what I saw of the neafl he didn’t seem to stand out as a potential senior player.

Maybe it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but list managers tend to have a habit of gladly clearing out players recruited by previous list managers, and can be a tad more reluctant to delist players they oversaw the recruitment of themselves. Hinge, Lyons and Allison are the first players recruited by Noble + Ambrosio to be up for consideration for delisting. I'm not surprised that we are shuffling things around in order to find a spot for them for a 4th year.

I know Conole manages the draft - but I'm sure I remember Hinge was a favourite of Noble before he was drafted, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lyons was too given the connection to his brother

Maybe it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but list managers tend to have a habit of gladly clearing out players recruited by previous list managers, and can be a tad more reluctant to delist players they oversaw the recruitment of themselves. Hinge, Lyons and Allison are the first players recruited by Noble + Ambrosio to be up for consideration for delisting. I'm not surprised that we are shuffling things around in order to find a spot for them for a 4th year.

I know Conole manages the draft - but I'm sure I remember Hinge was a favourite of Noble before he was drafted, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lyons was too given the connection to his brother
Allison still has another year.
Lyons was probably the 2nd best NEAFL player behind Bastinac, however given his age and inexperience, l can see why they would wnt to give him an opportunity at senior level first.
Hinge could be considered lucky, however he still might be delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club is weighing up list options then it has to be that the club considers we lack real depth in wingers, yeah?

Maybe that's their thinking but I probably don't agree. Hinge is a half back and wing type but so are Answerth and Allison and I'd put Birchall and especially Ah Chee in the same basket. Witho is probably less of a runner but fills a similar role. And then you've got Robbo and McCluggage who were our starting wingmen and guys like Berry and Bailey would played that role too.

I think we're well off for running, outside types.

If he stays on the list, I think the simplest explanation is that they rate him quite highly and think he's going to play an important role.

Maybe that's their thinking but I probably don't agree. Hinge is a half back and wing type but so are Answerth and Allison and I'd put Birchall and especially Ah Chee in the same basket. Witho is probably less of a runner but fills a similar role. And then you've got Robbo and McCluggage who were our starting wingmen and guys like Berry and Bailey would played that role too.

I think we're well off for running, outside types.

If he stays on the list, I think the simplest explanation is that they rate him quite highly and think he's going to play an important role.

Assuming we do rate him highly it’s still hard to see which role he slots into given the competition for spots, that you’ve rightly touched on, that exists. Seems odd this one from the outside looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It seems we tend to give young draftees some time to show their development before making a decision on them, unless theyre clearly not up to it. Lyons and Hinge have had 3 years - if they're kept on, next year is make or break you would think.

Keays was let go after 4 years. The only person who left earlier than that (senior or rookie list) under the current setup was Reubin William after 2 years, and I hear he may not have been as dedicated as might have been.

Getting in a draftee is a big commitment. I can understand why they would want to give themselves and the draftees enough time to see what they've got.

#1 is the devils number over recent years. Can't remember the last #1 having a long career with us. Headland got a flag with us but only played 52 games and the list goes on.
Yes the only players over 50 games including Fitzroy & Bears that i can find are:-

Headland 52 (total games 166)
Mitch Clark 82 (total 106)
Richard Champion 183
Kevin Murray 167 (total 333)
Paul Roos 269 (total 356)

Many many many moons ago (my time) the Captain regularly wore the number 1.
Murray was captain for 8 years and Roos for 6. So that may explain their totals.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we keep Mitch Hinge on our list, he showed quite good glimpses in his 2 games in the seniors and has been very good in the NEAFL, he isn't only a back pocket player, has played on the wing and did a good job, has a very useful left leg and delivers well into the forward 50, he also isn't averse to the in and under stuff. IMO he is more of a chance of making it at AFL level than Corey Lyons.

I'm hoping we keep Mitch Hinge on our list, he showed quite good glimpses in his 2 games in the seniors and has been very good in the NEAFL, he isn't only a back pocket player, has played on the wing and did a good job, has a very useful left leg and delivers well into the forward 50, he also isn't averse to the in and under stuff. IMO he is more of a chance of making it at AFL level than Corey Lyons.

Wish granted. Hinge elevated to senior list.

The plot thickens. With Hinge and OMac both needing to be upgraded we only have one live pick at the draft. Read on another thread we are looking at Coleman and Cumberland also as academy selections. With 6 picks in the top 60 at the draft there is still plenty to play out.

Re Christensen: not looking good. To go top 22 to delisted in the same season is a bit stiff.

Sure Lester is well liked and Zorko’s brother in law (our club has a thing about players and groups of two), but he isn’t top 22 and will not be top 22.

Lester is seen as a great leader at the club but I’m not aware of anything in the community beyond the gigs all players get. Anyone got anything further on Lester and community?

Bundy’s leadership in indigenous fields is superb and he has a lot to offer re his history through gambling addiction and getting sorted. Would hate to see him delisted.

And then there were 4 OOC-

Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner, Allen Christensen, Matty Eagles(will retain catB for 2020).

Christensen would be extremely unlucky to be delisted IMO.

Not looking good for C.Lyons and Skinner, Skinner would be a strange delisting for me, we have only just got him through his 1st full season, I'd be surprised if he isn't rookied.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back