Who is the best shooter of all time?

Who is the best all time shooter in NBA history?

• Jason Kapono

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Penberthy

• Nikola Jokic

• Terry Mills

• Mark Price

• Kyle Korver

• Mike Miller

• Dale Ellis

• JJ Redick

• Brent Barry

• Antoine Walker

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So many facts wrong in one sentence.

Not really. If you want the best 3 point shooter of all time then sure, it is Steph Curry but if you want the best shooter in terms of overall ability to get buckets at will, it is Durant.
You are witnessing this right now as we speak in the playoffs.

Not really. If you want the best 3 point shooter of all time then sure, it is Steph Curry but if you want the best shooter in terms of overall ability to get buckets at will, it is Durant.
You are witnessing this right now as we speak in the playoffs.
The same Durant who went 11/28 in his last game?

The same Durant who went 11/28 in his last game?

Yep, it's all about the last game played.
The great thing about Durant unlike Curry, he rarely goes through scoring droughts. You can effectively count on him to knock down 50% of his shots in the next game. Hence why Brooklyn will take a 3-1 series lead and eventually advance to another conference final.

One wonders if Durant gets his third finals MVP?

The great thing about Durant unlike Curry, he rarely goes through scoring droughts. You can effectively count on him to knock down 50% of his shots in the next game. Hence why Brooklyn will take a 3-1 series lead and eventually advance to another conference final.

So MJ greatest shooter of all time being that he's won 6 FMVPs?

Magic a better shooter than I originally thought as well...

Anyway, you can argue Durant is a better player than Curry and have a good case, but arguing he's a better shooter is obviously wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So MJ greatest shooter of all time being that he's won 6 FMVPs?

Magic a better shooter than I originally thought as well...

Anyway, you can argue Durant is a better player than Curry and have a good case, but arguing he's a better shooter is obviously wrong.

What is the criteria though?
Are we talking about the best shooter overall because I see the 7 footer being a little more dynamic and better at getting baskets as based on his career field goal percentage. He literally sleepwalks to 25-30 points a game.
But if you want to talk about the best three point scorer then it's Curry (takes 4 more shots per game than Durant behind the arc).

I am still gobsmacked that Durant is absent from the list. Seriously, anyone who watches this sport weekly can attest to how great of a natural scorer he is. And he's also universally regarded as better in the 'clutch' than Steph Curry.
Surprisingly, LeBron James has been of the most perennial clutch players in NBA history.

I get what you are all saying but perhaps rename the title of this thread "best 3 point shooter of all time" and you have a case.

What is the criteria though?
Are we talking about the best shooter overall because I see the 7 footer being a little more dynamic and better at getting baskets as based on his career field goal percentage.

You shouldn't use FG% to determine who a better shooter is.

Curry's overall number is going to be lower because of the volume of 3s he takes. And Durant's will be higher due to number of dunks.

Curry has Durant covered in eFG% and TS%, by 4% and 1% respectively.

He literally sleepwalks to 25-30 points a game.

This isn't a "who is a better scorer" thread.

But if you want to talk about the best three point scorer then it's Curry (takes 4 more shots per game than Durant behind the arc).

It's not just bout 3pointers, but it's obviously got a heavy weighting on it. Not just 3 scorer, but range, quantum, difficulty etc.

I am still gobsmacked that Durant is absent from the list. Seriously, anyone who watches this sport weekly can attest to how great of a natural scorer he is. And he's also universally regarded as better in the 'clutch' than Steph Curry.

This isn't a "who is a better scorer" thread or a "who is more clutch" thread.

Surprisingly, LeBron James has been of the most perennial clutch players in NBA history.

You probably want to keep that in the other thread.

I get what you are all saying but perhaps rename the title of this thread "best 3 point shooter of all time" and you have a case.

Curry shoots 46.5% from 10 feet to the 3 point line in his career. I'm sure that puts him among the best of all time (e.g. Durant is 45%).

What a post this is.
Durant 9/25 at 36% as Brooklyn takes the L and the series is tied at 2 all.

Might be time to put the Durant pom poms away

lol running your mouth off because a series is tied at 2-2.
This is when greatness rises to the top Look2Me4Guidance. Sit back and enjoy what is about to come ;)
It was you running your mouth champ and everything you said was wrong. Keep shooting your shot

Kerr had his moments with the bulls. got the Game winning 3 pointer for the bullls in the 1997 finals.

Another bull played alright in point guard, John Paxon. Wasnt the greatest point guard in history but he too scored a game winning 3 pointer in the 1993 NBA finals.
The precise game I started supporting the Suns. Used to be like a Sunday morning highlights package on Channel 10 back in the day with Bill Woods and an American dude and remember watching the highlights. During the game supported the Suns for whatever reason (probably 6 or 7 year old me going the anti popular approach) and haven’t looked back since... have not made the NBA finals since that game either. :(
actually had that program/coverage on vhs for years and years but threw it out a few years back in my kondo phase.

The precise game I started supporting the Suns. Used to be like a Sunday morning highlights package on Channel 10 back in the day with Bill Woods and an American dude and remember watching the highlights. During the game supported the Suns for whatever reason (probably 6 or 7 year old me going the anti popular approach) and haven’t looked back since... have not made the NBA finals since that game either. :(
actually had that program/coverage on vhs for years and years but threw it out a few years back in my kondo phase.
Steve Carfino!

Nash doesn’t get talked about because he’s unassuming, “unathletic”, goofy.
Nash was a far better facilitator than Curry and KD though and still maintained those shooting numbers. Imagine Nash shooting whilst playing off the ball!
I think the argument of “greatest shooter” is getting muddled by scoring volume, etc. Nash is a superior shooter to Durant for mine.
All of those are factors in the discussion, otherwise just filter by percentage (which is obviously silly). You need to factor in a lot of things when it comes to best shooter.

For instance, I think Steph is a better shooter now than his MVP years, even though he's shooting a few percent points lower. The quality of shot he gets now is a lot harder.

Steve peaked at about 17-19 shots in Phx per 100 possessions (he had a couple of outliers in 19.8 and 21.3 in Dallas), while Steph has been around the 24-29 during his peak. It's a big step up, and quality of shot is harder.

Don't get me wrong. Nash is Top 5 of my favorite players list of all time, and I used to scream at the TV when watching him that he needed to shoot more. He is elite, and I'd have him to 10-15 shooters of all time. Could have been a lot higher on the list if he had some volume.

Steve Nash as a Point guard averaged 14.3 points a game and 8.5 Assists a game.

He won the MVP one season averaging 18 points and 10 assists a game. Thats craz stats for a point guard.

John Stockton who played 19 or 20 seasons at Utah Jazz averaged 13 points a game and 10 assists a game.

What a post this is.
Durant 9/25 at 36% as Brooklyn takes the L and the series is tied at 2 all.

Might be time to put the Durant pom poms away

What about Curry's last game of the season.
He went 6 of 15 from three including a no show in over time.
Cherry pick games if it suits the narrative should we?

It was you running your mouth champ and everything you said was wrong. Keep shooting your shot

Long way to go in this series. Surely a team as dominant on the defensive end as the Bucks are will force a game 7.
But KD has another opportunity to really cement his legacy.

As you saw today, this guy did something Curry could never do in the playoffs. Literally carry a team on his back against a terrific team.
There is a reason why Steph and Draymond pleaded with KD to join them after going down to LeBron and the Cavs a few years ago . . . Durant is arguably the best player in the NBA and when all is said and done, will go down as the greatest shooter in NBA history.

Back