Who is your 2022 AFL grand final pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne versus The Raffle/Lucky Dip ( which could be any of 8-9 clubs - and none of them are locks )

If i had a stab at the most likely teams to play the the Dees in the GF - id nominate Rich and the Swans

Melbourne beaten in consecutive weeks at their home deck, season is definitely open now. They're still playing off in minimum a preliminary final.

Brisbane much the same, definitely missing daniher.

Fremantle need a home preliminary final to make it and will be hard to win against a victorian side, only gonna get stronger with fyfe coming back

Geelong seem to need their forwards firing. When they are they look really strong, missing a ruck, how far will that get them?

The premier comes from the top 4, that being said, anyone from here to 7th you could make a really strong case for.

My pick would be Melbourne against Fremantle. Freo should get home finals and win them both, huge advantage for them.
I disagree about your view on Freo.

I think Freo can win an away preliminary final to make a grand final just like the Eagles In 1991, crows of 1997-8, Brisbane of 2003, swans of 2005 and GWS of 2019.

Just need the players and structure to work well on the day and take your chances

They had to beat Geelong in Geelong in 2013 to make a grand final, mind you that was an epic qualifying final win.

I disagree about your view on Freo.

I think Freo can win an away preliminary final to make a grand final just like the Eagles In 1991, crows of 1997-8, Brisbane of 2003, swans of 2005 and GWS of 2019.

Just need the players and structure to work well on the day and take your chances

They had to beat Geelong in Geelong in 2013 to make a grand final, mind you that was an epic qualifying final win.
Definitely can, loving what freo are doing. 4-5 years ago, I used to hate watching them, boring, slow football, now I genuinely love their brand of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo is just playing a brilliant, system based game. They have 4 games at marvel in the second half against blues, saints, tigers and dogs which will be telling. Current form can see them win all 4 and finish top 2.

Lions really need Daniher in their structure. Most important forward for them. They rely on kicking a big score so missing any parts of their forward line will hurt them more than others.

Fully expect the Dees to be there. May and Gawn their keys.

Geelong’s hopes rest on their twin towers up forward.

Saints and Swans are building nicely and pose a dark horses.

Leaning towards Dees v Freo, with Fyfe to be selfless in the grand final by actively sniping Melbourne players.

Papa G your thoughts mate?

You see 2 non Vic sides make the 2022 grand final?

At the midway point 3 of the best 4 teams are non Vic so the boffins at AFL House will be using the bye to work out ways of ensuring Melbourne win it. I cant see Saints, Carlton or the Geelong Geriatrics winning it but with Andrews and Pakula pulling the strings, who knows.

It's possible but highly unlikely. Freo haven't even contested finals for many years. The current list has no finals experience as a group. They could easily under perform.
Well that's what happens when you go through a 5 or 6 year rebuild.

You almost change your starting 18 or best 22/23.

I look back at freos 2012-15 finals side.... Actually more like freos 2015 finals side. Only a 36 year old Mundy, 30 year old Fyfe and 31 year old Walters are left from that last finals win, that 2015 qf win vs the swans. Taberner played in the preliminary final. So yeah it's an ageing squad.

So that's 4 guys left from 2015.

Yet guys like Clancee Pearce and Matt Deboer and Michael Barlow were all got rid of by the end of 2016. All 3 should of at worst should of hung around for 1 or 2 more years as stop gap players.

Lachie Neale left as he couldn't tolerate hanging around 6 years of no finals. If he was a WA guy, he probably would of stayed.

Role players like Tom Sheridan, Cam Sutcliffe and Hayden Crozier who were from that 2011 draft with Lachie Neale, went to other clubs too.

Melbourne vs Freo/Sydney

Geelong and Brisbane look solid but can't be trusted in finals. No one else is any good.

At the midway point 3 of the best 4 teams are non Vic so the boffins at AFL House will be using the bye to work out ways of ensuring Melbourne win it. I cant see Saints, Carlton or the Geelong Geriatrics winning it but with Andrews and Pakula pulling the strings, who knows.
And if demons choke in a preliminary final or go out in straight sets?

It’s all about getting form and momentum at the right time

Realistically it would be any of Dees, Freo, Lions, Saints, Cats, Blues, Swans and possibly but less likely Tigers or Dogs

For the Grandma I’ll go Dees v Freo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back