Prediction Who replaces David Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's arguable whether it makes us weaker or not. Noble was Trigg's main man and we've not really done great things under his stewardship. Reid will take over part of the role and it sounds like someone like Sumich will cover the rest. I think under Noble we're stable but limited, him going is likely a very good thing for us. Fresh ideas and hopefully a more ruthless edge will be a great and needed change.
It makes us weaker because of the timing. Anyone who comes in at this late stage can't possibly have a good grasp of our wants/needs etc. I also think it's good time for Noble to go... but the timing sucks for us (also for the IP he takes to an opposition team that we are competing against in regards to trades/draft).

Last edited:
If we really wanted him to stay, he would be staying.
Maybe so, but if that's the case why keep him for so long? Either he was the man, or he wasn't but we didn't have the guts to give him the flick either. Third scenario is the AFL threw significant coin at him to get him up to help Brisbane. Seems the most likely, and as we see again they're not shy to give us a kick when the chance arises.

That aside, it seems like a fresh point of view could be useful. Provided we are able get the right person for the job.

Listening to Fages today I didn't get the impression he was too cut up. He said no disrespect to Nobes, but these are ideal opportunities to look at the way things are being done and improve them.

If you add that statement to the fact the role is now going to be split, I reckon Nobes prob had his fingers in too many pies

It makes us weaker because of the timing. Anyone who comes in at this late stage can't possibly have a good grasp of our wants/needs etc. I also think it's good time for Noble to go... but the timing sucks for us (also for the IP he takes to an opposition team that we are competing against in regards to trades/draft).

There's never going to be any other time, that's the industry that we're in. But any targets that had been identified are still identified. Any targets, wants or needs that haven't been identified are Noble's thought bubbles. He's not the messiah of building a premiership capable list, in fact there's some evidence that he's limited in that capacity. I'm not concerned that many of our realistic trade targets will end up at Brisbane, are you?

Maybe so, but if that's the case why keep him for so long? Either he was the man, or he wasn't but we didn't have the guts to give him the flick either. Third scenario is the AFL threw significant coin at him to get him up to help Brisbane. Seems the most likely, and as we see again they're not shy to give us a kick when the chance arises.

That aside, it seems like a fresh point of view could be useful. Provided we are able get the right person for the job.

I doubt that Brisbane can afford any more under the footy dept cap than we can. Unless they significantly scrimp elsewhere, which I doubt they will. The AFL will only be providing funding so they can spend up to the cap, no more. Noble was done at Adelaide, he'd been here 12 years and we've gone nowhere. We needed fresh eyes and he needed a new challenge. Leigh Matthews comment that the AFL told them Noble was gettable says it all. This comes from us or Noble himself. It's no different to Trigg, except that Noble didn't completely s**t the bed like Trigg.

Wonder if this system was used for team selections as well as list management?

If it's the foundation to player rankings, then probably. Would be very anti-WW by not watching the game with your eyes though. Noble nay be a genius, I doubt it, but I can't see how a moneyball system translates. So much of a players performance is determined by the role they're playing and how the team is functioning and their method of play. 18 constantly moving pieces. A sport like baseball is effectively a bunch of individual efforts joined together to form a team result, not much different to team golf.

Pdub , you must be devastated. No handover, Nobes gone already. I guess we can kiss the next few years goodbye courtesy of not having a 6 week handover and training period from such a crucial employed. Surely he was contracted to give at least one months notice and yet Fages and the board haven't held him to this. Unbelievable stuff, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's the foundation to player rankings, then probably. Would be very anti-WW by not watching the game with your eyes though. Noble nay be a genius, I doubt it, but I can't see how a moneyball system translates. So much of a players performance is determined by the role they're playing and how the team is functioning and their method of play. 18 constantly moving pieces. A sport like baseball is effectively a bunch of individual efforts joined together to form a team result, not much different to team golf.
I agree with what you're saying.

I think people use the term Moneyball loosely in football circles.

Whenever I hear it used in AFL, it's often to justify the recruitment of a B grade player that people don't seem to agree with or understand, and has nothing to do with sabermetrics.

I'm sure the NNSR (Nobles Non Statistical Rating) of a player is a number from 1 to 10 based on how much of a decent human being the person is (according to nobes).

I agree with what you're saying.

I think people use the term Moneyball loosely in football circles.

Whenever I hear it used in AFL, it's often to justify the recruitment of a B grade player that people don't seem to agree with or understand, and has nothing to do with sabermetrics.

I'm sure the NNSR (Nobles Non Statistical Rating) of a player is a number from 1 to 10 based on how much of a decent human being the person is (according to nobes).

Except that based on Radar's comment it sounds like Nobes has built some kind of statistical model that he actually uses.

He said we on 5AA in reference to Brisbane.

We over analyze everything to the nth degree.

The we or I is of little significance.

Fagan is right, administrators can be replaced. Jenny is right too, it hurts our club to lose him. We now have to cover the hole. The hurt maybe temporary, but it is there none the less.
That's true but no one should be even close to indispensable. If the role is split, the sum of the parts may end up being bigger than the whole. If you get the right replacement the on field effect should be zero.

Pdub , you must be devastated. No handover, Nobes gone already. I guess we can kiss the next few years goodbye courtesy of not having a 6 week handover and training period from such a crucial employed. Surely he was contracted to give at least one months notice and yet Fages and the board haven't held him to this. Unbelievable stuff, right?

You think he only told the club he was leaving yesterday?
I also wasn't suggesting a 6-week handover, my comment was that we shouldn't push him out the door weeks ago when it was first said that he was gone, my comments were that there was lots to be done, preparing for his replacement was just one of those things.

Caro said he had the Job 4 weeks ago, it appears his job is going to be split in two, the admin side of his job will be split amongst current staff who I have no doubt he has spent the last month working closely with, he would have used the time to tie up all loose ends and handover to other staff loose ends that can't be tied up before he left. The football coaching management side of his job will need to be done in the way the next guy thinks is best, no need for a hand over there.

Don't forget you have zero knowledge of what is going on behind closed doors and what has been going on behind closed doors for the last month.

I don't mind the outcome, it's a good opportunity to refresh and have some change in that role, but I really don't like the way it happened.

What happens when the AFL decide they want Fagan pulling Gold Coast out of their hole?
You've summed it up nicely there. It seems like a win for both Adelaide and Brisbane, but the AFL shouldn't be the catalyst for things like this.

Anyway, upward and onward. This could start some real change at the club.

I don't mind the outcome, it's a good opportunity to refresh and have some change in that role, but I really don't like the way it happened.

What happens when the AFL decide they want Fagan pulling Gold Coast out of their hole?

I expect the AFL involvement has been overplayed. Lethal said the AFL gave them a heads up that he was attainable which obviously means he's approved as well. That's purely on him and us. As far as cash is concerned the AFL are obviously funding their footy dept so that its resourced to the extent of most of the rest of the comp. They'll be footing the bill for development coaches as much as they will Noble. But it's highly, highly unlikely that they'll be spending in excess of the footy dept cap.

If we were desperate to keep him, he'd still be with us.

Exactly this, you CANT moneyball AFL.. you just can't.

Wonder if this system was used for team selections as well as list management?

OK assuming his moneyball system had some merit, which I don't believe it does.

WHY is he able to take it with him?

Any half decent contract should make all IP he developed while at the Crows our property not his. This system should belong exclusively to the Crows and he should be forbidden from utilizing it, or any derivative of it, for the Lions.

Exactly this, you CANT moneyball AFL.. you just can't.
I don't know but we seem to be doing a pretty decent job of it. Sure you need you A grade talent so you either have to be brilliant at recruiting and developing especially when you don't have early picks or you have to be smart at trading.

Out team is literally filled with players, some that were in AA squad this year that were classic money ball moves. Lynch, Jenkins, Brown, Seedsman, Cheney are the first ones that come to mind.

OK assuming his moneyball system had some merit, which I don't believe it does.

WHY is he able to take it with him?

Any half decent contract should make all IP he developed while at the Crows our property not his. This system should belong exclusively to the Crows and he should be forbidden from utilizing it, or any derivative of it, for the Lions.
Because if he is the one that has come up with it, then it is HIS IP, not necessarily the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back