who was the worst player to win a brownlow medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Care to make your case for either (a) why he didn't deserve to win or (b) why je is the worst player ever to win?

Given it is obvious and 'thread ending', it should be a very easy case.

35 disposals a game looks great at first, but what does he do with them? Little dinky disposals that don't really hurt the opposition. There is a reason so many coaches don't even bother to tag him, because he is an accumulator that doesn't do much with it.

For such a 'dominant' season like he had in 2018 (highest recorded disposals in a season ever), I think it is telling that he was only voted 3rd by the coaches in their best player award. Doesn't do much with it or impact the scoreboard.

35 disposals a game looks great at first, but what does he do with them? Little dinky disposals that don't really hurt the opposition. There is a reason so many coaches don't even bother to tag him, because he is an accumulator that doesn't do much with it.

For such a 'dominant' season like he had in 2018 (highest recorded disposals in a season ever), I think it is telling that he was only voted 3rd by the coaches in their best player award. Doesn't do much with it or impact the scoreboard.

So the coaches thought he was a top 3 player for the year, but the idea that he could have been #1 is outrageous?

So the coaches rated him the 3rd best player
The players voted him the best player
The umpires voted him the best player

But he just did dinky little kicks that don't really hurt the opposition? Yeah okay bud.

In my lifetime i would have in order

1. Liberatore
2. Cooney
3. Woewodin
4. Wynd
5. Priddis
6. Dipper
7. Tom Mitchell
8. Couch
9. Cotchin
10. Wanganeen

All really good players in there own right, but when you think of the all time greats these are not names that roll off your tongue.

Jobe was definitely a better footballer than Matt Priddis, and for those suggesting Tom Mitchell it's a bit unfair seeing as he's only 27

That said they're all better footballers than Woewodin, Cooney, Wynd, Libba etc.

Kouta didn't even win the Carlton b&f that year

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

There are many Brownlow winners who didn't also win the B&F.

How the most prestige’s AFL award is decided by the umpires, who should be umpiring the game, not noticing everyone’s 1%'s is pathetic.

The list of non-brownlow winners just proves it.

Priddis is only a Brownlow medalist because it was Robbie grays first elite year in footy and umps were not paying attention to him.

2014 gray averaged 25 disposals, 42 goals, AFLCA player of the year. In a team that finished in a prelim.

So nearly as good as Didak's 2010 then....
(and I don't think he deserved the Brownlow - not nearly).

Being serious, Gray was a jet and would have been a worthy winner.

....has anyone said Cotchin? (runs and hides)

He'd be behind Woewodin and Cooney in this thread and has obviously been a good player for a long time, but would surely be a shout for top 4 or 5?

Last edited:
Nah everyone's forgets he was 5th/6th in the brownlow betting that year

He had a ripping year in 2000, as a young fella I managed to get $20 on him at about 17/1 to win. As a teenager I felt like I had won the lottery when he got up

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It's strange. Yeah he didn't make AA that year, but I genuinely don't think anyone gave a carp about the AA team until the middle of that decade. I remember there was some promo for the footy show at the time where they had a few grand donated to them and loaded up on Woewodin for the Brownlow. He was definitely fancied that year.

It's weird that Woewodin cops it for one sensational year in a solid career, but someone like Scott Wynd never gets brought up. Wynd was the favourite in 1992, was he top 20 any other year?

I guess it depends. Worst career by a Brownlow Medallist, or biggest WTF from that season? If it's the latter, I feel like Wanganeen, Wilson, Libba and Dipper were bigger surprises than Woewodin. Was Paul Kelly fancied in 1995?

I'm happy to be corrected on any of the above, but another nomination I haven't seen yet: Alistair Lord. Two thirds of his career votes came in his Brownlow year and he couldn't crack Geelong's team of the century, despite being one of only four Brownlow Medallists from the club at the time.

Brett Kirk easily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my lifetime i would have in order

1. Liberatore
2. Cooney
3. Woewodin
4. Wynd
5. Priddis
6. Dipper
7. Tom Mitchell
8. Couch
9. Cotchin
10. Wanganeen

All really good players in there own right, but when you think of the all time greats these are not names that roll off your tongue.
Wangas stiff. Revolutionised the BP, first indigenous player to 300, runner up in the Brownlow 10 years after he won it and kicked 4 in a GF. Genuine freak.

Wangas stiff. Revolutionised the BP, first indigenous player to 300, runner up in the Brownlow 10 years after he won it and kicked 4 in a GF. Genuine freak.
No doubt but at the end of the day he was still just a back pocket player, and with genuine guns like Diesel, Buddha Hocking, Carey, Ablett, Harvey, Hird etc running around it’s a bit of a blight that a back pocket player won the Brownlow.

No doubt but at the end of the day he was still just a back pocket player, and with genuine guns like Diesel, Buddha Hocking, Carey, Ablett, Harvey, Hird etc running around it’s a bit of a blight that a back pocket player won the Brownlow.
Would take him over Buddha every day, the others would be all top 25 all time so fair enough.

Not sure it’s a blight that a back pocket won though, I’m sick of it being mids only and in fairness he was significantly more than a back pocket throughout his career, if not in 93

Woewodin was lucky to win but I think most people seem to forget just how good he actually was that year compared to the rest of his mediocre career.

Priddis is the least talented player to win it but he was a hard and consistent worker not to mention a good bloke.

Yes the rest of his career make it seem more weird than it was, though it was still weird.

Whoever won it when Kouta had that year. Think is was before Woewodin.

Also Jobe never won a Brownlow.

I really, really hate this drug sh*t. So Cotchin and Mitchell should have been up there instead of him. They lose the whole "parade" of being a Brownlow medalist.

Same with the Olympics. The person who finishes second misses out on their national anthem being played. The person who finishes fourth is just forgetten.

Nah 2000 was peak Kouta when Woewodin won

Stupid award anyway, if the best player wins it the betting companies wouldn't flog it hand over fist, Carey, Ablett (S), Matthews, Daicos, Dunstal, Kouta, Mason Cox have never won won one, says it all.

Especially Mason Cox. No idea who those other guys you mention are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back