Who will be our next Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Brown turned up to an official AFL function of his nut, slurring his words he made some dubious comments about his misses, and got a laugh out of it. And guess what. Drinking beers and having a laugh with your mates is an Australian past time. There is a time and a place he (JB) came close to the line but Jonathan Brown is still without a doubt the best captain in the AFL!!

The world has gone PC mad!

Its not about being PC- im the least PC person you'll ever meet.

Its about having a massive group of 18-21 year olds looking up to someone that may encourage them to enjoy the party lifestyle more than someone else would. I love Beamer but thats my personal reason why I would choose someone else. VC for sure though.

Im not saying they will bring the club into disrepute- only that he is extremely influential amongst the boys and he'd wanna at curb his beverage consumption somewhat if he were to be captain and therefore club appointed role model for the younger players.

In any case I prefer one of two options. Either Davey for the rest of his career, or Green for a couple of years whilst Grimes or another youngster is groomed for a longer tenure.

I don't think you could find a bloke in the club who has more impression on the players taken in our last 3 drafts than brent moloney. Along with the boxing camps to Warnabool and also making sure all new draftees read a book on the clubs history, research and report on a player who wore their number previously or a past player.

I don't think his drinking is an issue, nor wud it set a bad example, as Andy Mac said about the Jonathon Brown story.

Beamer. We have a lot of young kids who will come under serious fire this year from other clubs eg. Jack watts first touch in afl. We need a captain who is not going to let these young kids get pushed around. Just like neitz did when davey was getting treatment. I used to love watching neitz and ox protect the younger smaller kids. Go Beamer.

I don't think you could find a bloke in the club who has more impression on the players taken in our last 3 drafts than brent moloney. Along with the boxing camps to Warnabool and also making sure all new draftees read a book on the clubs history, research and report on a player who wore their number previously or a past player.

I don't think his drinking is an issue, nor wud it set a bad example, as Andy Mac said about the Jonathon Brown story.

Spot on. It's not a problem as Beamer has never had any off field indiscretions. I've met him a few times, and while he does like a beer or two, he knows his limits and isnt some crazy drunkard like lots of other footy players. He is definitely the leader of the boys and pulls them into line if they're going too far. Him and Nathan Jones seem to be the leaders of the young brigade these days, and both are hard working guys.

I already see Beamer as the unofficial captain of the club, as he's taken on a very big leadership role with the youngsters, moreso than any other player at the club.

It's probably fair to say Beamer is the spiritual leader of the Dees, but it remains to be seen whether he gets an official role down the track.

Gotta love his passion for the club.

Never heard of Moloney having a problem off field and nothing wrong with a drink. I actually think its good. Not only for bonding but as 80% of players would drink a bit it's good to have someone they respect and could beat the crap out of them show that you can work hard on the track and DRINK RESPONSIBLY and have a good time. If he knows when to stop and doesn't lose it he'll get more respect from most players than someone that might come across as a bit of a prude. Anyway, I doubt Moloney would ever show up late on the training track because he was on the piss the night before.

Moloney Captain with Davey VC. Wouldn't mind vice-versa either. Moloney loves the club and is a spiritual leader- he'll always give 100% and lead the team. Has time for a Captain role. It would be great for the club and our aboriginal buys if Davey had a go - I think it would lift his game too.

I think there is a case of going for dual captains- no one really stands out.

There may be a case for it, but I dislike the idea. It kind of undermines the reasoning behind having a captain.

You have a singular captain to set the example for his players, and offer leadership on and off the field.

If you have a number of captains, then the players are given conflicting examples and directions from the different captains.

I just don't think it's a system makes sense. I don't mind the leadership group idea, but I would hope that it consists of players from different parts of the ground, so that once the captain has offered his overall opinion and perspective, then the leaders of the backline, midfield and forward line can then offer their thoughts which are more specific to their given positions on the ground.

Those are just my thoughts, but it seems like a reasonable way to manage the leadership issue.

Personally Im sick of having "nice guy" captains...Neitz, McDoanld, Davey (if he get's the job). I want a captain with a mean streak (Moloney) someone that isn't afraid to stand up for his team-mates if need be. He bleeds red & blue, Moloney has to be captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neitz may have been a nice bloke but he was also an extreme professional at training and during games and was a highly respected leader

Personally Im sick of having "nice guy" captains...Neitz, McDoanld, Davey (if he get's the job). I want a captain with a mean streak (Moloney) someone that isn't afraid to stand up for his team-mates if need be. He bleeds red & blue, Moloney has to be captain.

Tell Luke MaCabe's shoulder that Neita was a nice guy, terrific guy off field but wouldn't like to get on his bad side on the ground.

Neitz may have been a nice bloke but he was also an extreme professional at training and during games and was a highly respected leader

I understand that..but this is the MFC list 2010 not 2007. Moloney just strikes me as captain material. Look at this picture for an example of his sheer grit compared to Davey :p

BMoloneyR082004_1.jpg

I understand that..but this is the MFC list 2010 not 2007. Moloney just strikes me as captain material. Look at this picture for an example of his sheer grit compared to Davey :p

BMoloneyR082004_1.jpg

oh dear.... so we're going to choose a captain on the way he looks in a photo.... (not that I don't think Beamer wouldn't be a great skipper)

oh dear.... so we're going to choose a captain on the way he looks in a photo.... (not that I don't think Beamer wouldn't be a great skipper)

It was a joke..I found it humorous because it was relating to my point. Of course that picture isn't the only reason I rate Moloney a better captain then Davey.

It was a joke..I found it humorous because it was relating to my point. Of course that picture isn't the only reason I rate Moloney a better captain then Davey.

Yeah fair play, was just having a bit of fun too. I'd love Beamer as skipper the more i think about it

Looks like you have a yellow card again ZB, good luck for rest of the night....

It is a good photo of a typical BM contested possession though...

Moloney.

As has been said, he bleeds red and blue, and has shown that he has the leadership qualitys.

Plus, it would be nice having my favourite player as captain :)

Captain : Cam Bruce
VC : Brad Green

Or vice versa. Either way,2 fine choices.

In some sense, I agree.

These two are often the forgotten men when it comes to discussions surrounding the captaincy, and both are certainly worthy candidates for the job.

Having said that, I believe that Davey will be the next captain of this football club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back