Who would've thought the Big Bash would go so well 5 years ago?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
When the Big Bash League started in 2010, who would've thought that 5 years later, more than 1 million people would attend (with a staggering 80,000+ for one game alone at the MCG), and massive TV viewing? And now, there's talk of expansion not just into regional areas like Geelong, but also the possibility of one, maybe two New Zealand teams entering the competition.

So how could the Big Bash League go so well in 5 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The $64,000 question is though, where does the Big Bash League go from here, in 10-20 years from now?

Could they look at expanding into regional areas ie Geelong (Victoria), Newcastle (NSW)?

And could the BBL see a Kiwi team enter into the competition?

The $64,000 question is though, where does the Big Bash League go from here, in 10-20 years from now?

Could they look at expanding into regional areas ie Geelong (Victoria), Newcastle (NSW)?
Problem with introducing more new local teams is the quality of games will slip.The only way it could work is if there's no international games on in Aus at the time,making every player available,plus perhaps introducing a 3rd international player to each team.

At the moment there's players playing who've never even played state cricket.

Definitely no more Australian teams for the foreseeable future. Maybe look at 2 from New Zealand.
Perhaps one representative team from NZ (not the Black Caps), who would play their games at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin. Should the NZ team finishes top of the ladder, have the semi final (and if they won that) and grand final at Eden Park, Auckland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just been thinking about this just now. What will Cricket Australia do to keep the people that has been introduced to cricket thanks to the Big Bash League?

Who has any emotional investment in the success of their team though? After the Strikers lost the other night, I turned over to the tennis without giving it a second thought. I would feel very differently about the state team losing a Shield final.
Young kids is the market they're probably going for in terms of actual team loyalty.

Hopefully the crowd in Melbourne is better today. The semi-final crowd was atrocious. Apart from the Derby matches, Melbourne hasn't really taken to the BBL like the smaller cities.

• 18,809 (MCG)
  • 20,850 (Docklands)
  • 26,787 (Docklands)
  • 33,603 (MCG)
  • 30,639 (MCG)
  • 25,227 (Docklands)
  • 30,174 (SF @ MCG)
Average: 31,014.
Adelaide: 43,689

The quick turnaround from the semi-final to the final probably doesn't help.

Last edited:
Who has any emotional investment in the success of their team though? After the Strikers lost the other night, I turned over to the tennis without giving it a second thought. I would feel very differently about the state team losing a Shield final.
Totally disagree. I was pretty sad when the Strikers lost and it seemed like everyone else in the ground was too.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I like it, and I'm glad it's succeeding.

I don't see the need for expansion, either, especially not to another country that can just have their own league. Just dilutes the quality IMO.

I know at least the Redbacks and Bushrangers were drawing 25,000+ crowds for T20s in the old format, so the interest was always there I think. Just needs the right promotion and exposure.

Would like to see how the Sheffield Shield and the Matador Cup would do with similar consistent promotion and regular television (even on Foxtel).

I'm emotionally invested in the Scorchers, and a lot of that comes from a lot of our state players being in the team, if we'd drafted a bunch of other players I doubt I'd feel the same.

Similar to the Heat's side so my hair turns a teal colour every summer. I wonder how the Renegades fans feel about their team with Aaron Finch the only player left from the opening season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back