Who's closer to their next premiership: Carlton or Freo?

Is Carlton or Freo closer to their next flag?

• Carlton

Votes: 102 33.7%
  • Freo

Votes: 169 55.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 32 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Respectfully disagree. We have far more options this year than last with:
Amiss- high round draft pick that was picked over Taberner for the finals and is a special talent. (This kid was injured for most of last year)
Body not up to it.
Fyfe- who could provide plenty up forward and was injured last year with a horrible pre season (he literally lost 20kgs)
Can't kick straight.
Jackson- could be anything.
Not a natural forward and has a fat, long term contract and a medal in his back pocket.
Treacy - glandular fever for most of last year.
WAFL quality forward.

Lobb's done it, the guys above are all cents on the dollar until proven otherwise.

There's an assumption here that Freo will be playing long balls onto someone's head (as in with Lobb last year). Our match sims show we're gearing up for a slingshot game based on speed and fast ball movement, so the need for a Lobb-style player is lessened, both structurally and in terms of output.

Also Lobb kicked 36 last year. That's not amazing. He also provided zero pressure or follow up whereas Jackson and Fyfe provide immeasurably more. Treacy offers great pressure for a tall, as does Amiss. I think you'll see quick ball in, high pressure if not marked, and repeat entries as Darcy or Jackson hang back with our defence (which has exceptional marking power) to cut off the outlets, especially if kicks are rushed.

If the ball does go in long, it'll be to players that should half the contest, even to a Moore/Balta type, who then offer superior ground work. I could be wrong, but, whilst a decent forward, I think we've upgraded from Lobb across a few players.

gungho said:
Respectfully disagree. We have far more options this year than last with: Time will tell but see comments below

Amiss- high round draft pick that was picked over Taberner for the finals and is a special talent. (This kid was injured for most of last year) - Lightly built 20year old will struggle to be a focal point (good 3rd tall for now) has kicked 4 goals in 3 games

screenshot_20230131-180355_facebook-jpg.1597442

19 year old Amiss doing his best to address the 'lightly built' part
Done well working on those beach muscles on a narrow frame

Body not up to it.

Can't kick straight.

Not a natural forward and has a fat, long term contract and a medal in his back pocket.

WAFL quality forward.

Lobb's done it, the guys above are all cents on the dollar until proven otherwise.
Wait, Amiss’ body is not up to it because he had a lacerated kidney?

There's an assumption here that Freo will be playing long balls onto someone's head (as in with Lobb last year). Our match sims show we're gearing up for a slingshot game based on speed and fast ball movement, so the need for a Lobb-style player is lessened, both structurally and in terms of output.

Also Lobb kicked 36 last year. That's not amazing. He also provided zero pressure or follow up whereas Jackson and Fyfe provide immeasurably more. Treacy offers great pressure for a tall, as does Amiss. I think you'll see quick ball in, high pressure if not marked, and repeat entries as Darcy or Jackson hang back with our defence (which has exceptional marking power) to cut off the outlets, especially if kicks are rushed.

If the ball does go in long, it'll be to players that should half the contest, even to a Moore/Balta type, who then offer superior ground work. I could be wrong, but, whilst a decent forward, I think we've upgraded from Lobb across a few players.
Improvement will come to our midfield & attacking backs due to their age profile. Development isn’t linear but while some might stagnant, more should improve than not. Same with the mids.

Better ball movement upfield will result in more entrees and higher scores. It’s all about multiple avenues to goal which we will have plenty of options.

That is all well and good in playing in the vacuum of a match sim against yourself. Teams will assess Freo's strength and weakness and defend accordingly. Expect teams to keep numbers behind the ball to prevent the rebound goals and block the leading lanes.

That is all well and good in playing in the vacuum of a match sim against yourself. Teams will assess Freo's strength and weakness and defend accordingly. Expect teams to keep numbers behind the ball to prevent the rebound goals and block the leading lanes.
As soon as they throw numbers behind the ball we can have someone like Hayden Young as the loose defender. We are already the second hardest team to score against.

We'll just have to win more out of the centre bounce with our gun midfield and rucks. I think if we can exploit the oppositions resting ruck and B midfield we will be in for a better year than 2022. Having Fyfe as a break as emergency midfield option will be a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think this is where Freo really shine (on paper at least). We have an incredibly versatile team, speed, and strong marking power all over the ground. As others have said, I feel we have a plan B & C this year. If teams stack behind the ball we'll kill them with repeat entries, and we have at least 2 or 3 players that can roost them from 60 out. If teams slow it down we can rely on aerial domimance around the ground (admittedly this is where Lobb would be handy, but honestly I prefer kicking to Jackson who at least halves it and turns into a rover. Let's face it, if it turns into a ground scrap inside 50, Jackson and Fyfe are pretty handy. I also rate our smalls, so happy to see them get busy.

It may not click, they may have injuries and players may not perform, but I'm really bullish as to what Freo can present opposition, across a few styles of play.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think this is where Freo really shine (on paper at least). We have an incredibly versatile team, speed, and strong marking power all over the ground. As others have said, I feel we have a plan B & C this year. If teams stack behind the ball we'll kill them with repeat entries, and we have at least 2 or 3 players that can roost them from 60 out. If teams slow it down we can rely on aerial domimance around the ground (admittedly this is where Lobb would be handy, but honestly I prefer kicking to Jackson who at least halves it and turns into a rover. Let's face it, if it turns into a ground scrap inside 50, Jackson and Fyfe are pretty handy. I also rate our smalls, so happy to see them get busy.

It may not click, they may have injuries and players may not perform, but I'm really bullish as to what Freo can present opposition, across a few styles of play.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
family guy weed GIF

So you don't rate their ability to bring the ball to ground and apply second & third efforts (especially when compared to Lobb), or do you just think they'll play better if they're stoned?
The first one, though something about Luke Jackson playing stoned just wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Somewhat true. But we didn’t trade out our best defender and double down on it did we?
No but Weitering >> Lobb so it wouldn't be equivalent anyway.

Lobb leaving looks terrible but I'd argue it makes almost no difference since if we were relying on him again in 2023, we're clearly not up to it forward of centre.

There is also an outside (very outside tbf) chance that Tabs stays fit. He's considerably better than Lobb when near 100%.

Has anyone considered that maybe Lobb being our focal point (by virtue of Tabs, Amiss and Treacy being injured a lot) was the reason we couldn’t score?
207cm, athletically gifted and doesn’t leave the forward 50. I would have thought less than 30 goals would be a massive fail so I can’t really see how 36 goals (roughly what Jack Darling kicked in the worst team with no preseason under his belt) could be considered anything more than meh.

Back