Why are Sydney so dominant over West Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sydney have now won 14 of the last 17 encounters between them and West Coast.

This dominance spans the last 15 years and 15 years is a long time.

Sydney and West Coast have been mostly good sides over that time yet the Swans continue to put the Eagles away.

Why is that?

Fun fact: in this 14-3 run a grand total of 4 matches out of 17 have been played at the SCG, our worst venue by win %.

1-1 at COVID neutral venues (Metricon, Kardinia Park)
2-0 at Stadium Australia
4-0 at SCG
5-2 at Subiaco
2-0 at Optus Stadium

Considering our W-L record prior to this streak starting was 19-18 I can only deduce something changed in 2007. Assassination of Benazir Bhutto? Release of the first iPhone? Geelong winning a flag? Who can really know...

It’s because their players can’t do lines at half time anymore to get their energy back. Cousins took all the Coke home. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We struggle to beat them at the SCG, and we seldom upset them either when they are the better side. The Swans had victorious debuts at Subi and Optus, and won their first three SCG matches against us by an average of 75 pts. It goes back to the very beginning really if you disregard that horrid run they had in the early 90s. They have always felt like one of our couple bogey teams, at least going back to the mid-late 90s. It can be frustrating. As an Eagle growing up in a Swans family, the SCG fixture was the first match I'd circle on the calendar each year, and a lot of those encounters started promisingly before bending over in the second half. Might also be psychological as we rarely put them away easily, especially away. There needs to be a stark difference in class and formline for us to get off the chain and win comfortably.

Our biggest ever win was a 61pt win in 1990, and our 2nd biggest win outside WA was a 15pt win in the other 1990 fixture. So it is very tough. We don't really take a win against them for granted.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back