Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast defeated Collingwood by 16 points in the Qualifying Final at Optus Stadium, and defeated Collingwood 3 weeks later in the Grand Final by 5 points.
By my calculations that's an 11 point difference.
1/2 of that is 5.5 points, or slightly under a goal.

Your second point is invalid because neither game was played at a neutral venue.
The difference in scores between the two teams who each played a game against each other at their own home ground was 11. Half of that is 5.5
Therefore, if the Grand Final was played at a neutral venue, using this example, West Coast would have won by 10 or 11 points instead of 5.

FMD :rolleyes:
2:1

Free agency the great equalisation tool working wonders for the vics
you might have a point there....

AFL puts money into grass roots in Victoria such as the VFL and TAC/NAB cup. No complaints there.

Swans put money on the Academy. Well Swans sponsors puts money on the Academy, Victorian sides complain.

Setting up GWS and Gold Coast as development squads for the Victorian teams was a masterstroke.

Yeah I see your point... Just look at GWS blokes going to Victoria: Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith, Adam Treloar. Now a couple of those Victorian players want to go to Richmond.

Gold coast let go of Dion Prestia and he gets a premiership medal with the tigers in 2017.

You are right about Bringing tassie in. Will have some old experienced players in the short term, but Long term is they will draft lots of locals in that Tassie state league.

Cats gave away firsts to bring jezza Cameron in 2020.

The two geelong locals in 2020 were henry and bruhn were first rounders.

Strong likelihood both end up in Geelong this year
The other kicker is we traded out of the draft like you said to get Cameron, but then we fleeced Richmond with the live-trading and picked up Holmes in that draft too. :grinv1:

Here's a quick example:

James Frawley receives 4 year, $2.2 million contract - Melbourne receive Band 1 compensation

Steven Motlop receives 4 year, $2 million dollar deal - Geelong receives Band 2 compensation

Brad Crouch receives 4 year, $2.8 million dollar a year deal - Adelaide receives Band 3 compensation

Karl Amon receives 5 year, $3.25 million dollar deal - Port Adelaide receive band 3 compensation
Here's another quick example:

Scott Lycett receives 5 year 3 million dollar deal - West Coast receives end of first round pick compensation

Brandon Ellis receives 5 year 3 million dollar deal - Richmond receives end of second round pick compensation.

Give us 11 home games so we can play 1-2 games a year at the MCG like the majority of clubs, including 3 other Victorian clubs that get shafted come home finals.

The MCG is a dump because it’s half empty the vast majority of the time. Prefer AO and Optus.
So on one hand we have non-Melb clubs wanting more than 1-2 games at the G, and here we have you wanting only 1-2.

Can you guys get it sorted out amongst the lot of you and come back to us - is it an advantage or not an advantage to have more H&A games fixtured at the G?

I can tell you, if the GF was at Optus every season I'd be pushing hard to get as many Richmond games scheduled there during the H&A as possible. Probably even including a couple of "home" fixtures.

Yeah I see your point... Just look at GWS blokes going to Victoria: Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith, Adam Treloar. Now a couple of those Victorian players want to go to Richmond.

Gold coast let go of Dion Prestia and he gets a premiership medal with the tigers in 2017.

You are right about Bringing tassie in. Will have some old experienced players in the short term, but Long term is they will draft lots of locals in that Tassie state league.
Let's not forget Charlie Dixon, Trent Mackenzie, Jeremy Finlayson, Cam McCarthy and Rory Lobb in all of this.

So on one hand we have non-Melb clubs wanting more than 1-2 games at the G, and here we have you wanting only 1-2.

Can you guys get it sorted out amongst the lot of you and come back to us - is it an advantage or not an advantage to have more H&A games fixtured at the G?

I can tell you, if the GF was at Optus every season I'd be pushing hard to get as many Richmond games scheduled there during the H&A as possible. Probably even including a couple of "home" fixtures.

Let's not forget Charlie Dixon, Trent Mackenzie, Jeremy Finlayson, Cam McCarthy and Rory Lobb in all of this.
So, I used to be quite big on this being the biggest disadvantage in world sport. However, I’ve had it beaten into my brain by the rest of you Victorian club supporters on BF that playing 9 games at alphabet soup stadium and 5-7 more at the MCG is indeed a massive leg up over the 8 interstate clubs as well as North, WB and St Kilda.

Geelong shouldn’t have it both ways. If they want 11 home games and home finals then they should be treated like an interstate club. However you and I both know that home finals at GMHBA is never going to actually happen therefore I say why mess with a great thing? We currently have the best H&A set up in the AFL.

9 non-neutral genuine home games is an advantage that no other Victorian club has. I’m not surprised we haven’t been bottom four since 1986.

Beaten into me, or maybe I’m the only Geelong fan with common sense, perhaps?

Honestly both South Australian and Western Australian clubs should get academies similar to the Northern clubs.

The ability to make money in Victoria via side hustles/ property portfolios is so much bigger than in all other football states.

If the SA and WA clubs got a couple of free hits with local kids it would mean there's going to be less "go home" factor, which is killing all the interstate clubs that selected highly rated Vic kids.

They would only be allowed 1 academy pick per year though. The kids would be zoned through their SANFL and WAFL clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5.5 points
But we know the results between Vic and non-Vic clubs in Grand Finals at the G is 50:50. Can't get any fairer than that.
Again that's not to say the GF shouldn't be rotated for other reasons.
So funking what?

When it isnt their home ground they dont have a home ground advantage.

I mean pathetically lumping geelong of 1994 in, when geelong actually played less games on the mcg than WC did that year shows how lamely you are casting around for anything to throw.

The fact of the matter is - teams that play lots of games on the mcg vs those who dont

ARE 14-7 IN GRANDFINALS

And your ass aint talkin your way outa this s**t.

Here's a quick example:

James Frawley receives 4 year, $2.2 million contract - Melbourne receive Band 1 compensation

Steven Motlop receives 4 year, $2 million dollar deal - Geelong receives Band 2 compensation

Brad Crouch receives 4 year, $2.8 million dollar a year deal - Adelaide receives Band 3 compensation

Karl Amon receives 5 year, $3.25 million dollar deal - Port Adelaide receive band 3 compensation
AFL could just make the formula public and eliminate all doubt.

AFL could just make the formula public and eliminate all doubt.
They could, if they actually had a formula. If you think they don't just make it up as they go along, you're kidding yourself.

Thats not the formula though.
No, it's not. But I think it's a long bow to suggest that the AFL would prefer Victorian clubs to do well out of the system over non-Vic clubs, given the sheer amount of money poured into expansion since 1987.

Absolutely there is a huge amount of Vic bias built into the AFL, but most of it is baked-in as a result of competition origins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back