Why do you think the Crows cant hang onto players?

Remove this Banner Ad

The 'go home factor' seems to be something that is genuinely accepted in AFL - is this something that has the same significance in other competitions? I don't really follow many other sports close enough to know the answer myself, so happy to hear others' thoughts.

The 'go home factor' seems to be something that is genuinely accepted in AFL - is this something that has the same significance in other competitions? I don't really follow many other sports close enough to know the answer myself, so happy to hear others' thoughts.
It's not unheard of but very rare in US sports. It's a little common in the NRL but there's freedom of movement so in general the team they leave just buys a replacement. Haven't really heard of it in soccer.

I don't know why, but I'm pretty sick of it

I'm not sure if it's because I notice it more because it's Adelaide or if it's genuine, but I feel like the AFL media (mostly based in Melbourne) always write stories about out of contract Crows players requesting a trade at every possible moment -

Anyone that says Adelaide is a shithole hasnt lived here.

end of discussion.

it may not be a shithole, but I can't imagine any reason why I'd ever move back

In the USA it isn't an issue, but that is partly because most of the major sports have the capacity to trade players against their will, wherever they want (which is generally accepted as the players are getting HUGE sums of money).

In soccer, it does happen in Europe. You have players shifting home, or to countries/places more akin to home, but it is far far less frequent than Aussie rules. And less so with stars. You will often find players who can't crack the top teams, may go back to home countries. That said, you have different drivers of movement, such that it is very hard for many mid-table clubs to keep anyone talented as they all go to larger clubs. Southampton spent years developing heaps of young talent to see it all get plundered by bigger clubs. Even clubs as large as Arsenal and Tottenham often see players being poached by larger and/or richer clubs like Real Madrid and Manchester City.

Last edited:
There is an issue with SA and WA kids not getting the same chance of being drafted by a team in their home state, the difference is massive.
Its not just about Adelaide and retention, its about how SA and WA kids only have an 11% chance of playing football in their home state in the draft. The best NSW and Qld kids get to play in their own state.
The reality that next year there are three elite kids and none will be drafted by an SA club.

Although this may (or may not) be an issue, I don't think it is the issue of this thread.

Depends what you are after. I love it here and much prefer it than other cities I've lived in
I really like SA
I don't get into Adelaide much, but love the Hills, Barossa & McLaren Vale. Plan to move there one day.

Adelaide Oval is a great ground.
The state is parochial in their support of sport.
I can't recall a boring Adelaide team either.

I really like SA
I don't get into Adelaide much, but love the Hills, Barossa & McLaren Vale. Plan to move there one day.

Adelaide Oval is a great ground.
The state is parochial in their support of sport.
I can't recall a boring Adelaide team either.
Neil Craig's Crowbots were horrid to watch

Being found guilty of corrupt and systematic cheating of the salary cap with the Crows cheating scandal and loss of their board Chair doesnt scream a place players would want to stay involved with.

Unfortunately Trigg thought we were all lucky enough to have COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back