List Mgmt. Why the Late Change of Choice for Pick 5 in 2014 Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wright 3 goals, 8 marks
De Goey dropped
I like this game

This was just too good to pass up :)

JDG 20 possessions 4 goals.

On the year JDG is ahead of Wright in every statistical area except marks (4.3 v 5.2) and goals (1.2 v 1.3).

Wright never felt right to me. He'll no doubt go on to be a goodin, but JDG has star power unlike any young player on our list, IMO. Out of what has been a horrible year for us he's been one of the true bright spots.

Overall I went looking for this thread to find out whether the discussion had shifted yet with JDG beginning to grow into the player he was always going to be. So has anyone changed their opinion on this selection yet?

without going through the thread the debate is more about meeting our needs - which is a marking forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. I'm a fan of JDG and in the long run we'll come out ahead in the Beams trade but the here and now is an urgent need for a Wright-type.

However if JDG continues to develop I'll be happy. I still want to see him unleashed in the midfield though. I'm hoping his 4 goals don't categorise him as a permanent forward.

JDG will be a winning selection.
When clubs interview 17/18 year olds (then follow up strongly with them), the kids may think or imagine they will be drafted by that club.
However (as we all know), circumstances may change on draft day, if another player slips & is still available, the club may change tack on the spot.
Clubs obviously interview many players & probably indicate to them they would be keen to draft them if available at that pick. The bottom line is, we may have 3 or 4 players all around that draft pick selection, however there is no guarantee which player will still be available...hence the same/similar conversation may be had with a group of players...but we can only draft one.
Some players may be surprised that we didn't select them.
I'm sure it happens with all clubs...it's the nature of a draft system.

The other point (probably already mentioned...but I didn't read entire thread), is that we were going to select Moore with pick 8, hence decided to pick best available or a mid, rather than another tall Forward, for a more balanced/broader draft outcome.

I would have been happy to select 2MP, although still happy with JDG.
We can't have our cake...

JDG will be a winning selection.
When clubs interview 17/18 year olds (then follow up strongly with them), the kids may think or imagine they will be drafted by that club.
However (as we all know), circumstances may change on draft day, if another player slips & is still available, the club may change tack on the spot.
Clubs obviously interview many players & probably indicate to them they would be keen to draft them if available at that pick. The bottom line is, we may have 3 or 4 players all around that draft pick selection, however there is no guarantee which player will still be available...hence the same/similar conversation may be had with a group of players...but we can only draft one.
Some players may be surprised that we didn't select them.
I'm sure it happens with all clubs...it's the nature of a draft system.

The other point (probably already mentioned...but I didn't read entire thread), is that we were going to select Moore with pick 8, hence decided to pick best available or a mid, rather than another tall Forward, for a more balanced/broader draft outcome.

I would have been happy to select 2MP, although still happy with JDG.
We can't have our cake...
Just wait until the trade period ;)

If the last month is an indication of the type of footy we can expect from DeGoey, we comfortably won the Beams trade.

Greenwood is a decent foot solider, Crisp off half back has been super impressive and DeGoey has the ability to win games for us.

I was a little concerned especially after his indiscretion earlier in the year but i'm very bullish on him now, has really stepped up.
His attack on the ball is first class and his disposal has really surprised me of late, contested pill and can slot a goal, great combination and needs to use these last 5 games as a platform for next season.

On the year JDG is ahead of Wright in every statistical area except marks (4.3 v 5.2) and goals (1.2 v 1.3).

Wright never felt right to me. He'll no doubt go on to be a goodin, but JDG has star power unlike any young player on our list, IMO. Out of what has been a horrible year for us he's been one of the true bright spots.

Overall I went looking for this thread to find out whether the discussion had shifted yet with JDG beginning to grow into the player he was always going to be. So has anyone changed their opinion on this selection yet?
I hadn't seen much of Wright until the recent Gold Coast game, no doubt a good player, strong mark and one that would suit by position, but at the same time he looks a low possession lead up forward with limited ground level skills. An upgrade on Cox due to his marking if you will. Jenkins has made a career out of similar attributes, as will Wright, but the game is moving away from these types, so I can see why we overlooked him.

De Goey should end up a better player I had him pegged for but I have absolutely no doubt Wright would have been a better list fit for us.
Not to mention the fact big men take more time to develop fully and don't hit their peak till mid 20's and our quality KP player stocks are barren.

Oh and a quick browse through your posting shows that at some point you agreed :)
From there if moving one of those players allows us to trade into a Peter Wright or Josh Jenkins our list is complete.

I'm too much of a De Goey fan to jump off.

Serious question? Is Wright going to be A grade? Elite?

Or just a very very good player?

I'm uncertain where he fits in, no doubt talented, but what level?

De Goey should end up a better player I had him pegged for but I have absolutely no doubt Wright would have been a better list fit for us.
Not to mention the fact big men take more time to develop fully and don't hit their peak till mid 20's and our quality KP player stocks are barren.

Oh and a quick browse through your posting shows that at some point you agreed :)

That's fair enough.

Interesting that you found that in a browse of my posting history, but it isn't particularly relevant to the discussion of who was best for us on draft day and who will be the better of the two.

Shifting the discussion to whether I'd like Wright at the club and it's a yes because as I said he's a goodin' and would fill a hole in our list. The signs Moore has shown in the ruck role actually make Wright a more desirable prospect now because he'll do his best work as a permanent deep forward.

As long as it's not at the expense of JDG let's bring him in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the question is whether a very very good Wright is more value than an elite DeGoey.
I honestly don't know except that it's easier to function with majority B-grade mids than living without a very good tall (who can ruck). Am thinking of Adelaide in this one who have Sloane as their one elite mid.

The other thing to remember is that Wright has Lynch to partner him whereas Darcy has been on his own. Which goes back to the failure of White/Cox/Mayne to provide that extra tall support. Sigh...

the question is whether a very very good Wright is more value than an elite DeGoey.
I honestly don't know except that it's easier to function with majority B-grade mids than living without a very good tall (who can ruck). Am thinking of Adelaide in this one who have Sloane as their one elite mid.

The other thing to remember is that Wright has Lynch to partner him whereas Darcy has been on his own. Which goes back to the failure of White/Cox/Mayne to provide that extra tall support. Sigh...
I'm of the view an elite De Goey is worth more.
But he ofcourse must get there.

Interesting discussion.

Wright is a better list fit for us as of this season due to the lose of Cloke, Frost, Brown, Marsh, Gault, and Wyatt over the off-season but he wasn't in 2014 when the draft took place given we'd also added Moore. Happy for anyone to show me where they predicted all of those players departing at the end of 2016.

Or just a good average footballer?

Wright is a better list fit for us as of this season due to the lose of Cloke, Frost, Brown, Marsh, Gault, and Wyatt over the off-season but he wasn't in 2014 when the draft took place given we'd also added Moore. Happy for anyone to show me where they predicted all of those players departing at the end of 2016.
Not sure what defenders in Frost, Marsh and Brown have to do with our need for a KPF? In terms of Cloke, Gault and Wyatt, there were plenty who said that there was a dire need to recruit a couple of quality key forwards to fill the void in a few years when an aging Cloke would finish (came sooner than expected but it was a clear need still) and it was pretty clear that White was never going to be more than a 3rd tall. Wyatt and Gault were always highly speculative as rookies, and shouldn't have even come in to consideration in list management terms given that neither of them were even close to being best 22 players.

I'm glad to have DeGoey, but overlooking another genuine quality tall forward was a poor list management decision at the time given our lack of genuine quality tall timber up forward.

Not sure what defenders in Frost, Marsh and Brown have to do with our need for a KPF? In terms of Cloke, Gault and Wyatt, there were plenty who said that there was a dire need to recruit a couple of quality key forwards to fill the void in a few years when an aging Cloke would finish (came sooner than expected but it was a clear need still) and it was pretty clear that White was never going to be more than a 3rd tall. Wyatt and Gault were always highly speculative as rookies, and shouldn't have even come in to consideration in list management terms given that neither of them were even close to being best 22 players.

I'm glad to have DeGoey, but overlooking another genuine quality tall forward was a poor list management decision at the time given our lack of genuine quality tall timber up forward.

Said it myself at just about every draft since 2010 but that doesn't alter my point that at the time we opted for DeGoey over Wright, DeGoey was actually the better list fit. The relative merits or otherwise of all those players has been done to death and irrespective of peoples views on them they were on our list or added over the journey. And that doesn't even factor in the White's and Reid's who we still have.

Said it myself at just about every draft since 2010 but that doesn't alter my point that at the time we opted for DeGoey over Wright, DeGoey was actually the better list fit. The relative merits or otherwise of all those players has been done to death and irrespective of peoples views on them they were on our list or added over the journey. And that doesn't even factor in the White's and Reid's who we still have.
Agree to disagree. Another KPF was a more pressing need imo.

Agree to disagree. Another KPF was a more pressing need imo.
Especially since Wright was touted as a potential pick 1 candidate too... Elite talent slid to 5 and is the type of player we desperately needed/need. Alot has to go right for De Goey to justify his selection.

The argument is not that we chose De Goey over Wright. The argument is that we replaced proven tall forwards in Dawes and Cloke with speculative tall forwards in Lynch (free agency) and White (forties draft pick) and are now paying the price of having only Moore in the forward line. In any of the drafts after 2011 we could have drafted a young tall forward and spent 2-3 years developing him to a point where that player would now join Moore in attack. That we didn't is a recruiting scandal. A forward line where your primary leading forwards are Greenwood and Fasolo is just disgraceful and a blight on good governance by the club football department.

Peter Wright is an average mark and kick forward. Not worth pick 5. Just doesn't have enough strings to his bow to become a dominant forward. If he becomes a gun it will be as a ruckman.

You're kidding yourself if you'd take DeGoey over Wright if you were to re-do that draft.
With an abundance of midfielders and a severe lack of KPP, Wright would have made all the difference in our list profile.
Having Wright up forward with Moore this year, we'd have won another 3-4 games and be playing finals.

Especially since Wright was touted as a potential pick 1 candidate too... Elite talent slid to 5 and is the type of player we desperately needed/need. Alot has to go right for De Goey to justify his selection.
JDG is well on his way to more than justifying his selection at 5. He is a beauty and more than worthy of being taken where he was. Whether or not he was a more pressing need than a KPF is up for debate, but there's no question in my mind that he was a worthy selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back