List Mgmt. Why the Late Change of Choice for Pick 5 in 2014 Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally baffled that a certain poster decided to bump this thread last night to pot Wright and use his game as evidence that he's not a key forward. He ended up with 9 disposals and a goal. Those are numbers Moore was putting up all year until the last few games, and Wright is averaging more goals per game this year than Moore, yet Moore is praised as the second coming of Jesus and Wright is only a ruckman...

Seriously, I love JDG, and think he's going to be a great player, but please don't act like you wouldn't be fawning over Wright as a fantastic KPF prospect if he was playing for us. It's just embarrassing.

I still wouldn't be using hindsight at this stage to compare de goey and wright. When it comes to hindsight, you can never have enough. Six months after the draft, there was enough hindsight that suggested that de goey was the best pick. When Wright appeared on the scene and de goey was going through a slump, the amount of hindsight was enough to prove that Wright was the better pick.

Generally speaking, I try to keep my opinions open on the question until hindsight has delivered a certainty and then I make an announcement and say that I always thought one player was always clearly the better player. The golden rule is that when it comes to hindsight, you can never have enough of it..

I still wouldn't be using hindsight at this stage to compare de goey and wright. When it comes to hindsight, you can never have enough. Six months after the draft, there was enough hindsight that suggested that de goey was the best pick. When Wright appeared on the scene and de goey was going through a slump, the amount of hindsight was enough to prove that Wright was the better pick.

Generally speaking, I try to keep my opinions open on the question until hindsight has delivered a certainty and then I make an announcement and say that I always thought one player was always clearly the better player. The golden rule is that when it comes to hindsight, you can never have enough of it..
It also takes a few seasons for rookies to hit their straps. Time will tell. I think we made the right choice

His under 18 coach said he needed to improve his overhead marking just prior to the draft.

Regularly matched up on guys 4/5 inches shorter them him. Still has those marking queries.

Looks a good back up ruck/part time forward once he builds a fitness base and improves his co tested marking against much smaller opponents.

I'm wrapped that we didn't take Wright! He's kicked a few goals against ho-hum opposition, but had a grand total of one scoring shot against the Hawks and Bulldogs.

As a ruckman playing forward, ya can snag a few leading goals and maybe clunk the odd mark, but does that mean the project as a full-time, high performance KP forward?

I mean, Wright is currently averaging marginally more goals per game than Mason Cox...does that mean Coxie's a future KP forward to build a team around too?

For mine, Wright will likely be a decent ruck option who can rest forward competently, but I have serious doubts on a long term KP position. At which point, with Grundy on the list, we had bigger holes to fill.

I can appreciate us not taking Lever with Shaz already with a knee issue and with similar elite level intercept marking. Other than that, De Goey will prove to be a fine option, despite those people who can' see a sample size longer than one month saying otherwise.
/Thread. Perfectly put Figgy.

I picked nick maxwell being the captain of collingwood when he was playing junior footy for st. josephs in geelong....
A true leader nick. Extracted everything out of himself and all his team mates. Led the side like a warrior

i picked frankie raso and ben kinnear being duds.... sometimes i'm surprised that collingwood hasnt offered me a job but that's their loss...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know this isnt related but i'm watching ufc and I was wondering if we should get all the collingwood boys to shave their heads, listen to bad rock music and shout a lot....to improve their mongrelness...

i know this isnt related but i'm watching ufc and I was wondering if we should get all the collingwood boys to shave their heads, listen to bad rock music and shout a lot....to improve their mongrelness...
Sports science department wouldn't allow it

Literally baffled that a certain poster decided to bump this thread last night to pot Wright and use his game as evidence that he's not a key forward. He ended up with 9 disposals and a goal. Those are numbers Moore was putting up all year until the last few games, and Wright is averaging more goals per game this year than Moore, yet Moore is praised as the second coming of Jesus and Wright is only a ruckman...

Seriously, I love JDG, and think he's going to be a great player, but please don't act like you wouldn't be fawning over Wright as a fantastic KPF prospect if he was playing for us. It's just embarrassing.
I don't fawn over Mason Cox as a KPF prospect and he's averaging the same amount of goals per game as Wright.

Talent identification is a long term game. There's a list as long as your arm of 'new age' ruck sized forwards who don't cut it long term at AFL level who showed some glimpses of forward nous; Fraser, Meessen, Brooks, Bradley and even Brodie Grundy's a great example.

Long term, if you need a pure KP player to build a side around. Not just a ruck who has attractive crossover characteristics.

I don't fawn over Mason Cox as a KPF prospect and he's averaging the same amount of goals per game as Wright.

Talent identification is a long term game. There's a list as long as your arm of 'new age' ruck sized forwards who don't cut it long term at AFL level who showed some glimpses of forward nous; Fraser, Meessen, Brooks, Bradley and even Brodie Grundy's a great example.

Long term, if you need a pure KP player to build a side around. Not just a ruck who has attractive crossover characteristics.
Fraser was good till he buggered his knee in that state of origin game

Mason Cox is 26. Wright is 20. Wright will be a good KPF, who can also ruck. The end.

I rate old Rogan more than most, but he wasn't a KP forward's arse!

He had some of the all time biggest wraps on him as the new KP forward / ruck hybrid.

Same as Wright. Just history repeating.
Fair call.

Let it go mate the bump was a windup! Wright isn't a ruckman's a-hole and I'll back Eade's view on him over some Big Footy nuffy's any day of the week.

Just a couple of points to make on JDG v PW. Firstly they play different positions, and secondly the are going to go through peaks and troughs at different times so if one is up while the other is down, then it changes your perception. I go back to the reasons why we chose to go with JDG in the first place. Firstly at the time, we were fine in the KPF area, with Cloke expected to have several years left, White & Reid playing down there, and having recruited Cox & Moore who the club rate very highly. On the other hand it was widely discussed here and by our recruiting team that big bodied midfielders with good skills, which is why we went with De Goey, Maynard and Goodyear in our other draft spots.

When you look at the context of this, then De Goey was the logical choice as he was considered the next best in this role after Petracca and Braywshaw who were not available by our pick. What both Wright and De Goey will become by the end of their careers is still a decade away from coming to fruition, but there is no point going back and second guessing. De Goey was the best available for the need that was identified as needing to be the top priority at the time, and now it is up to him and Collingwood to develop him to allow him to get the most out of himself. Don't forget the development system is as much responsible for the outcome of a draft as the player themselves. Would we regard Naitanui & Watts the same had they gone in reverse order and NicNat ended up at the Demons and Watts to the Eagles for example. Or did the development system of the Eagles and Demons play a part in how those two players came along post draft.

I have no concerns with JDG at pick 5.
2nd year player, he is developing just fine.

He has that nice size as a lead=up/marking overhead forward and can play on ball and win his own footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back