List Mgmt. Why the Late Change of Choice for Pick 5 in 2014 Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor????

His stats are good for a second year player.

You judge a player on how good they are at their level of experience and development otherwise every player in the comp is a dud compared to Ablett, Franklin, Pendles and the like.
Kilby you and I agree, I think people expect de Goey to already be a Selwood

I think people are reading too much into Wright having a good few games. He has the potential to be more of a game changer than De Goey (Given size and position/s) but i would put money on De Goey being much more likely to be an A-Grade level player, whilst Wright could range anywhere from Roughead to Gault (slight exaggeration).

As it is, I am very happy with the De Goey pick. He is clearly not in his ideal position on the wings and HF, and once hes developed more (physically, skills and consistency, and just experience) we will see him more and more as our key inside mid (along with Adams) allowing Pendles/Treloar/Sidey to stay outside, and that is when we will see his true value.

FWIW that 2nd year mid we drafted at pick 5 is going to go alright so I might bookmark this one! The real mistake was choosing Freeman 12 months earlier. We were seduced by his athletic profile and even though we got Aish for him out the back door that one really hurts.

We dont know whether it was a mistake to pick Freeman because he has never had the chance to show what he could have been. Short of a crystal ball picking Freeman has just been bad luck not a mistake. No one could have predicted his injury history.

when you look back , our clearance area at that time was appalling , De Goey fits that need.

I'm happy with how hes going. Hes aggressive , runs all day and loves the contest. We need that in the guts

when you look back , our clearance area at that time was appalling , De Goey fits that need.

I'm happy with how hes going. Hes aggressive , runs all day and loves the contest. We need that in the guts

Our Clarence Stats is Still Appalling considering we are the Worst in the AFL

Gun Mids a lot easier to get then Gun KPF's
Wright is far from being considered a gun forward. At one stage he was touted as a possible number 1 pick, so 7 other recruiters didn't think he warranted an early pick. There has got to be a reason behind that.

We dont know whether it was a mistake to pick Freeman because he has never had the chance to show what he could have been. Short of a crystal ball picking Freeman has just been bad luck not a mistake. No one could have predicted his injury history.

I wasn't even factoring in his injuries. The guy just flat out isn't that sort of quality and I was never a fan of that selection.

It's interesting the criticism of De Goey.

Most consider Isaac Heeney to be a future star of the AFL, yet if you compare his averages to JDG's this season, it's clear who is performing better, in a worse side too.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=17&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=4026&fid1=S&fid2=S

De Goey is a lock for 200 games and will be a vital part of our midfield going forward.

Developing well on point I would have thought for a second year kid in a struggling team.

Short term bias is a funny thing.

Are we forgetting what De Goey showed in the VFL and AFL last year, NAB challenge and early season this year?

Are we judging Wright based on a great performance in one game against a poor defence?

Pretty confident De Goey will prove to be a great pick up once he gets more midfield time and particularly at centre bounces and when he gets in better shape. He's a second year player who has played every single game in the season in a side that is underperfoming and plays a physically demanding style.

Most consider Isaac Heeney to be a future star of the AFL, yet if you compare his averages to JDG's this season, it's clear who is performing better, in a worse side too.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=17&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=4026&fid1=S&fid2=S

De Goey is a lock for 200 games and will be a vital part of our midfield going forward.

Developing well on point I would have thought for a second year kid in a struggling team.
I think JDG is a good footballet and will develop into a great player for us. Regardless of stats Istill think Heeney is and will be a much better player. He's just so much stronger overhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think JDG is a good footballet and will develop into a great player for us. Regardless of stats Istill think Heeney is and will be a much better player. He's just so much stronger overhead.
Yeah I'd have to agree, Heeney has the ability to take a mark, as JDG hasn't really shown that at senior level yet, although he did show a little of that in the under 18's. Will be interesting to compare the two in 3-4 years time.

It was a risk, but he was a top 5 pick prior to his injury and his attitude/leadership is first class... plus he plays a position we desperately need some young talent in.

I'm not saying De Goey will be a bad player, he should end up quite good, but I think it's a poor choice to take a midfielder with "potential" over a largely proven Key-Position junior star like Wright or Lever

If it was a poor choice by definition then Beau Dowler (pick 6, AA junior KPF) would have been a better pick than Scott Pendlebury.

Can't see the need for hard and fast rules.

If it was a poor choice by definition then Beau Dowler (pick 6, AA junior KPF) would have been a better pick than Scott Pendlebury.

Of course there are no rules in drafting, it's all a murky mess of personal opinion.

In this case, I would of preferred Lever.

yep beau dowler, he's the player I still have nightmares about.
Hawthorn being infallible pounced on him at pick 6. Still spewing we picked up some basketball type, Pendlebury at 5. Hine what a dunce. Even Caroline Wilson said that was a ridiculous selection.
If only...... What could have been....

Maybe mcavaney hasn't grovelled about de Goey yet....

Has he been hanging around with Reidy?

Can't really see why we would want Wright when we have Cox.

This, it probably swayed us in going for a mid knowing the potential Cox had.

Must say tho, watching Wright in the u/18's, he was the smoothest moving ruckman i hav seen since Dean Cox, just moves like a mid in a huge frame, beautiful kick to boot.

DeGoey is best when at the feet of the ruckman( especially centre bounces ) best reader of a tap bar pendlebury. This is his go, hope buckley allows him far more time there. Averageing 18 disposals with 9 goals for the year so far. Needs to tidy up his finishing in front of goal but definately a key mid for us for the next 10 years.

My hope was for Langford, and i still think he will turn out to be a star. In fact all 3 will be longterm players of high talent.

It was a risk, but he was a top 5 pick prior to his injury and his attitude/leadership is first class... plus he plays a position we desperately need some young talent in.

I'm not saying De Goey will be a bad player, he should end up quite good, but I think it's a poor choice to take a midfielder with "potential" over a largely proven Key-Position junior star like Wright or Lever

If the Doggies didn't bid for Moore we could potentially have had DeGoey, Lever and Moore...

I never said De Goey is a Dud. I just saying Wright would been the Better Fit then De Goey was

It's in the midfield where we're winning and losing games... just saying!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back