Autopsy Why you cant trust this team yet 23 point loss to Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Coaches Votes

PLAYER (CLUB)
Connor Rozee (PORT)
7 Todd Marshall (PORT)
6 Ollie Wines (PORT)
5 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
2 Darcy Byrne-Jones (PORT)
1 Riley Bonner (PORT)

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
71Clayton OliverMELB
65Lachie NealeBL
64Andrew BrayshawFRE
59Patrick CrippsCARL
52Jeremy CameronGEEL
50Touk MillerGCFC
50Christian PetraccaMELB
48Callum MillsSYD
44James SicilyHAW

Total
Callum Mills​
8​
3​
10​
10​
10​
3​
4​
48​
Isaac Heeney​
5​
10​
2​
5​
22​
Chad Warner​
1​
6​
8​
6​
21​
Lance Franklin​
5​
7​
9​
21​
Luke Parker​
10​
3​
2​
1​
2​
18​
Justin Mcinerney​
10​
5​
15​
Peter Ladhams​
7​
4​
4​
15​
Oliver Florent​
5​
3​
8​
Errol Gulden​
1​
1​
4​
6​
Sam Reid​
6​
6​
Patrick McCartin​
2​
4​
6​
Tom Papley​
5​
5​
Logan McDonald​
4​
4​
Tom McCartin​
2​
1​
3​
Jake Lloyd​
1​
1​
2​
Nick Blakey​
1​
1​

FMD Byrne-Jones in the votes. He was a turnover merchant. I hope it was Hinkley who gave him the votes...

Have I missed something here... what are these rankings based on?

Me painstakingly watching the game again in too much detail making notes and tallies about which players most perform the aspects of the game that I value most and then trying to quanitfy that at the end.

i.e. Kicking = aggressive, accurate, creating offence; seagull and conservative stats mostly irrelevant; keeping your opponent accountable in defence and midfield, defensive pressure; scoring involvements and scoring creation; aerial dominance with marking or spoiling etc.

I started it in lockdown the last couple of years and it was interesting if not time consuming, but it's not like time mattered in lockdown. Now that life is relatively normal I only get the time to do the Swans game every week if I'm lucky. It lets me get some perspective on every player but it may only be relevant to me :p But may as well share it since I can be bothered to do the work in the first place.

Random autopsical (if there is such a word) thoughts:

1. Why did Papley start in the mids at the very first centre bounce?

2. We had an arrogance as C88 says, and the worst start was to be 3 goals up. The players thought they would piss it in. Port had nothing to lose. It would have been better if Port had kicked the first three goals.

3. I understand that players make mistakes. Skill errors. Lack of vision. I understand there are smart footballers and dumb ones.
But the A Grade, card carrying world class stupidity of Hayward is beyond me. A mark. 15 metres out at best. Slight angle. What, exactly, does playing on add? Should Heeney have told him to go back and take his kick? Possibly, but how could Heeney have anticipated that Hayward would display all the intelligence of a dog fart?

The paint peeled off the walls of my man cave on that stroke of idiocy!

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread earlier. But a officer at work is a family member of swans training staff, and his words were that a bad flu ran through most of the team after the bye. But no mention of it by the swans camp. I think that is something id like the management to come out and say if it was true.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread earlier. But a officer at work is a family member of swans training staff, and his words were that a bad flu ran through most of the team after the bye. But no mention of it by the swans camp. I think that is something id like the management to come out and say if it was true.

would make sense given how lethargic they looked

And publicly give the boys an out for a shocking performance? No thanks! Want our team to cop all the external heat they can, as it's both needed and so often the cause of our most inspired performances.

That said, it does check out. I was watching Rowbottom's presser last week and could tell something was clearly up with the constant throat-clearing. I was thinking to myself, "was there really no one else with a functioning voicebox we could use for media duties?!"

It was mad cow disease.

Only explanation for Ladhams’ antics.

Didn’t look lethargic in the first 20 minutes when everything was going their way. Port Pressure Flu kicked in there after and the rest was history.

Didn’t feel we ran out the game it could explain it

You would think they would insist on flu shots ? It's not as if it's news that this year's flu is pretty bad.

You can still get knocked around by the flu even with a flu shot.

You would think they would insist on flu shots ? It's not as if it's news that this year's flu is pretty bad.
The fluvax is about 70% effective if they've matched the strains correctly (which they think they have this year). So, some will get it, and some will get it more mildly than you would expect. I'm sure, like most workplaces, they would offer it to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fluvax is about 70% effective if they've matched the strains correctly (which they think they have this year). So, some will get it, and some will get it more mildly than you would expect. I'm sure, like most workplaces, they would offer it to the team.

I had the vax as well as all the covid shots. Ended up with flu and am now dealing with the tail-end of another bronchial infection.

I had the vax as well as all the covid shots. Ended up with flu and am now dealing with the tail-end of another bronchial infection.
Hope our win on Saturday night makes you feel better.

Didn’t feel we ran out the game it could explain it

A regular Joe might just feel a little bit off with the flu. For an elite athlete even a slight drop in performance is significant. Given how many Swans were out for the Saints game it seems likely the team was hit with some sort of lurgy, which may explain why they started well against Port but couldn't keep it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back