Wigg - what does he need to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
So?

He was a second round draft pick - nothing to be dismissed..

He was South Australia's MVP in the U18 squad.

Had a late season drop off last year, after being overlooked in favour of perennial underperformers, but, prior to that, was comfortably amongst our best SANFL players. For some reason, told he wouldn't be debuting last year.

Now, we're apparently trying to turn him into an inside mid - when we have a glut of them; and, in doing so, we're making his left leg, one of his acknowledged strengths, almost irrelevant.

Performs well in the SANFL this year; carves up last week... ignored, yet again.

Now, for those buying the line of BS from the Club, this is from the time we drafted him;

Harrison Wigg - AFC.com.au
www.afc.com.au › player-profile › harris...
Selected with Adelaide's second pick (No.35) in the 2014 National Draft, Wigg is a rebounding defender with an elite left-foot kick.Wigg was named South Australia's most valuable player at the Under-18 National ...

A rebounding defender with an elite leg... that's what we actually want in our side, right?

It's feeling like Lyons all over again - no matter what he does, he won't get a fair go.

From the AFL draft profiles;

CRAFTY and clever, Harrison Wigg helped lift South Australia to the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships division one title with a consistent display in defence.

He was named an All Australian – one of only four representatives from his state – and showed his traits as an attacking small defender capable of shifting into the midfield.

Wigg returned to his local club, North Adelaide, after the carnival hoping to build on his form, but woke up one day with a pain in his right foot after a game of school footy.

Scans showed a stress reaction in his third metatarsal, which ruled him for eight weeks and saw him sidelined for the draft combine.

2014-draft-countdown-title-whyx.jpg

In a nutshell, Wigg can use the ball and he can find it, two qualities that don't go out of fashion.

Wigg is under consideration having proved across the season he's more than adept at both getting the ball and delivering it.

Playing mainly as a small, rebounding defender for South Australia during the championships, he averaged 19 disposals a game and used the ball at 80 per cent efficiency.

It was also about his speed of ball movement – Wigg has the conviction to go for long kicks and doesn't waste too much time doing it. When he's got the ball, he's looking forward and one recruiter said he was close to the best kick in the draft.

In four games with North Adelaide's under-18 team he averaged nearly 30 disposals and five clearances, showing he can also shift up the ground if required.

What are we doing to this kid?

Could be at port next year for their 4th round pick. That's how high we rate him.

The only other thing he can do is be 25yo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although he looked a little nervous and butchered it a little bit,. I thought he showed alot of promise in the NAB Cup,.. I can't understand why he hasn't got a game yet... Opting for David Mackay this weekend when Wigg was a perfect replacement is a slap in his face. When Seedsman comes back he will be about 4th in line... Sadly I'm with you guys,. I can't see him ever getting a gig at the Crows.. watch him go for very little compo to another club and turn into a best 22 player though.. :(

career was over as soon as we didn't pick him against Brisbane or Essendon last year

Wouldnt it be nice if there was at least one decent journo in this state who was prepared to ask some questions about wtf is going on with players like Wigg etc. So much about his non selection and continual dominance in the Sanfl just doesnt add up. But this is the same club that continuously picks Mackay so we all sit in the dark together on this one. Tell u what though he must be a resiliant bugger, he turns up every week despite watching players go past him as he stars in the sanfl.

So plenty on here complaining about our development process, which includes actually picking players for the senior side and testing them, and in turn dropping under performing players. But when I suggested our development process is poor on another thread I was blasted.

We all get extremely frustrated at the lack of creativity in selection which kills our development.

We do have a problem

I am just stating reality unfortunately. Unless our off field decision makers change we arent going to win a premiership
No you were being a complete tool, suggesting our best players should leave our club.

What true supporter of any club would want their best players to leave? No one of course.

It's a reflection on what you really think of our club & goes to the heart of what many of us think on this board where your true interests lie. You outed yourself.

After having, in my opinion, a poor trade period at the end of 2016 and the AFC boasting organic growth, he was one of the guys I was most excited to see come into the AFL side. He might not have set the world on fire, but being a second round pick, been on our list for 3 years and put in worthy performances in the SANFL, I would have thought he'd be given at least 1 game. Just to see how he goes.
Not really sure how much more he can do.
Unfortunately, will be delisted or traded for nothing at the end of the year.
If he does get traded I hope he does well at another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back