Past Will Snelling signs with Sturt

Remove this Banner Ad

Small midfielder who captained SA. Prolific ball winner and strong tackler. Won South Australia's MVP and All-Australian U18 honours. Already impressed at senior level with West Adelaide this year, playing 13 matches.

382756.jpg

From Snoop Dog's rookie phantom:

# 8 GWS - Will Snelling (West Adelaide / 176cm / 75kg)

Terrific little midfielder from SA who has been a standout for some time now. Looks to have a terrific work ethic and the SA coach Phillips speaks very highly about his character. His form in the Champs this year really put him on the radar for a high selection along with his performances at senior level later in the year. He ticks every box insomuch as he reads the game very well, excels at stoppages, has acceleration, he wins his own ball, clean with his hands, good by foot, will tackle with real intent but the fear is his height will probably drop him back a bit. He recorded a fantastic beep result and the combination of all that will see him go and from then on its really up to him.

I can't recall, was Will Snelling discussed in the podcast? if so, what was the view on him?

I imagine the sole downside was his height. Caleb Daniel (ex South) had a reasonable first up season with the Dogs so I am quite optimistic about Snellings prospects.

At the risk of Papa G having a cheap shot, you've done brilliantly to get Will Snelling.

The knock is that he's only about 173cms.

What I can say is that he's a better player than almost all outside the top 20 draft picks the other night.

Great in and under midfielder, smart, great decisions, good skills and a ball magnet through sheer hard work.

His form for West all year was outstanding and he had a wonderful finals series.

Also a class act as a person.

At the risk of Papa G having a cheap shot, you've done brilliantly to get Will Snelling.

What I can say is that he's a better player than almost all outside the top 20 draft picks the other night.

Great in and under midfielder, smart, great decisions, good skills and a ball magnet through sheer hard work.

His form for West all year was outstanding and he had a wonderful finals series.

Thanks for the info. Pretty stoked with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game I watched in the U/18 champs I saw Snelling and thought this guy can play. He looked smallish checked his stats and saw his height and thought s**t we have plenty of little guys and thought no we need more 183 cm type mids. He had a great Sanfl finals series. So bloody happy to get him on the rookie list.

Another U/18 captain at Port.

Cheap shot? We wouldn't do that..................................................while you're looking

a cheap shot.jpg

I feel like this is the Gray factor. A lot of guys who can play don't get a chance because of their height.

3cm shorter than Sam Mitchell

dont get why people worry so much about height of an inside mid

People like tall inside mids due to their reach and their ability to get first hands on the ball because of that. But in the end it doesnt really matter. A lot of the best clearance winners in the modern era have been sub 180cm. If you can read the play, you'll win the ball more than someone whos more athlete than footballer will.

Really really like this pick.

U r silly hehehehehehe :)

Nah seriously though thanks for the writeup mate - although some people get the urge to respond with stupid ******* s**t it is really good that you take the time to give a first hand account on him.

Hieght means nothing when your a mid....

Only kpps really...

Snelling hey the kid obviously a leader ...looks bigger than the mids we had 2011'12 ...

He looks like freaking Moore.....hopefully plays like ollie....

First game I watched in the U/18 champs I saw Snelling and thought this guy can play. He looked smallish checked his stats and saw his height and thought s**t we have plenty of little guys and thought no we need more 183 cm type mids. He had a great Sanfl finals series. So bloody happy to get him on the rookie list.

Another U/18 captain at Port.
Has far better skills than Mitchell so should replace him outright as the second small mid on our list with S Gray next year providing he can make the step up. I'm not liking Hoon's chances of making it past this year on our list btw. I wouldn't say 2 small mids on our list is too many.

Even at the start of this year, I preferred S Gray as a small mid to Mitchell as he actually has good skills.

Has far better skills than Mitchell so should replace him outright as the second small mid on our list with S Gray next year providing he can make the step up. I'm not liking Hoon's chances of making it past this year on our list btw. I wouldn't say 2 small mids on our list is too many.

Even at the start of this year, I preferred S Gray as a small mid to Mitchell as he actually has good skills.
Sammy Gray is pushing for top 10 as far as selection goes so it is hard to include him in this discussion because he is so far ahead in the pecking order.

Can't agree re: height.

its extremely important in the guts, the fact if players were 10cm taller they'd probably carry an extra 5kg of mass and hence strength which means a heap when competing against men. With AFL structures its likely smaller players wont be able to get to the fall of the ball because they would be pushed out of the drop zone. not to mention the increase in marking around the ground and ability to defend in transition. Height is a huge factor, but that said you don't not draft a kid because of height if they are talented enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back