Wimbledon 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I guess Tomic is refreshingly honest. It's a job for him, he turns up and gets paid handsomely to do so. He's not playing for anyone but himself and the general public need to come to terms with that.

What else did he say in his presser?

If I was Tomic, I would take a break. It's best for him just to get away from tennis for a year or so and if he feels motivated to come back then the door is open.

Or just play for money. It sucks to a lot of us and is kind of not cool but some athletes are just there for the cheque once they lose that determination.

I have no doubt it will come back to him but when? Don't know.
sorry, went to bed during/after Dasha

I really gotta stay away from the facebook comment section for the next couple of days. a lot of keyboard, 4-week tennis heroes are saying a lot of stupid things. we all get bored, we all sometimes lack motivation. We have all seen this writing on the wall since Jan or even before. Tomic is a lot of things but he is human and he suffers the same ills as we do. Look at Ash Barty and Agassi. Barty was smart enough to exit. Agassi saw that he needed to change when he dropped out of the top 100. He got a "life fitness" coach in for example.

Still, Tomic is wrong when he says that if he plays for the next 10 years, he can retire forever. you might as well retire now and be done with it because there is no money at the Challenger level. Sponsors are not going to touch you, spectators won't pay to watch you(etc no WC) and you will be treading water financially. you play at that level of tennis for the love of the game and the hope of the future, not for the money. Tomic should get himself a good accountant and plan for the next 60 years cause the money train has left the station unless he changes things right now. this current path is no good for him financially or mentally.

Tomic should take a month or even a year out of the game and just rest and live life. then return slowly and see what happens. If he doesnt want to return, then that is fine. his life and i hope he finds something he enjoys eventually.

The Aussie media (and general public) will be out in force today denouncing Tomic based on his performance and comments. I think today we actually got a proper admission for the first time that he doesn't really care about tennis and is just in it for the money. But why is that so bad? The funding argument stands up, but the notion that he needs to love tennis and try hard just because he's been able to carve out a career in the sport doesn't fly with me.

If you can make a few million without really trying then good luck to you.

Withdraw TA funding and good luck to him.

He is not making millions on 2017 form. IMG dumped him the other year so once his current Nike deal expires he would be making stuff all from sponsorships. With his lifestyle, the costs of being a tennis player and no doubt paying for his family on top he wouldn't have much change from the $330k prizemoney he has earned this year, most probably he would even be in the red.

So take away the TA funding and let him do whatever he wants.

Personally I think his behaviour and performance this year points to only one thing and there is a former eagle that will tell you a sporting fortune doesn't last long post retirement.

I'm not so sure about that. You could be right, but if like to get some evidence of that being the case.

There is no evidence as TA doesn't release any figures. Herald Sun ran with $4 million being pumped into Tomic over his career by TA last year. I'd believe that. TA have the money from the slam and it is important to have top players for the sport and Bernie was the only potential player for a long time.

There is no evidence as TA doesn't release any figures. Herald Sun ran with $4 million being pumped into Tomic over his career by TA last year
That figure seems believable. But I'd like to know his funding from TA this year? I doubt it's in the hundreds of thousands. He's made himself unavailable for DC and I can't see TA handing him the cash this year.

Here's a question for everyone. Do you think TA will award Tomic a WC into the Australian open next year, as his ranking will more than likely be outside of the cut off point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry, went to bed during/after Dasha

I really gotta stay away from the facebook comment section for the next couple of days. a lot of keyboard, 4-week tennis heroes are saying a lot of stupid things. we all get bored, we all sometimes lack motivation. We have all seen this writing on the wall since Jan or even before. Tomic is a lot of things but he is human and he suffers the same ills as we do. Look at Ash Barty and Agassi. Barty was smart enough to exit. Agassi saw that he needed to change when he dropped out of the top 100. He got a "life fitness" coach in for example.

Still, Tomic is wrong when he says that if he plays for the next 10 years, he can retire forever. you might as well retire now and be done with it because there is no money at the Challenger level. Sponsors are not going to touch you, spectators won't pay to watch you(etc no WC) and you will be treading water financially. you play at that level of tennis for the love of the game and the hope of the future, not for the money. Tomic should get himself a good accountant and plan for the next 60 years cause the money train has left the station unless he changes things right now. this current path is no good for him financially or mentally.

Tomic should take a month or even a year out of the game and just rest and live life. then return slowly and see what happens. If he doesnt want to return, then that is fine. his life and i hope he finds something he enjoys eventually.

Agree with all this. He's gradually heading south as far as rankings go and the lower he gets the less money he earns and it soon won't be a viable occupation for him. He could probably live on what he's earned if he's invested well but I somehow doubt it, as they say a fool and his money are easily parted and we have already seen that he likes the fast cars etc. All this aside, he can't just sit around doing nothing, he needs a meaningful occupation, we all do. Otherwise things like drugs, gambling etc. will beckon. He comes across as not in a happy place which is pretty sad really as much as he annoys me. Probably not all his own doing as we know he was pushed into tennis by his domineering and abusive father. Like I said, sad.

I don't think he gets any TA funding anymore and hasn't for awhile. The reason his Dad chucked a wobbly about Sara is because she is up and coming. Once you've 'made it' you don't get any help I don't think (not in monetary terms anyway).

That figure seems believable. But I'd like to know his funding from TA this year? I doubt it's in the hundreds of thousands. He's made himself unavailable for DC and I can't see TA handing him the cash this year.

Here's a question for everyone. Do you think TA will award Tomic a WC into the Australian open next year, as his ranking will more than likely be outside of the cut off point.

I doubt it. The Brisbane International wouldn't even give Millman a WC a couple of years ago and he is a hometown hero.

I doubt Tomic has a lot of points to defend for the rest of the year. He is usually complete arse in the second half of the year so he should be able to stay in the top 100.
he is outside the race 100. probably around race rank of 120 when Wimbledon ends. Tomic won't be getting any WC for TA unless things change.

i just hope Nick doesn't get dragged into this. Nick actually cared in his first round and his effort on the court has been good overall. he just couldn't for whatever reason.(injury this week, French was his mind)

The grand slams need to look into retirements and prize money. Too much incentive(etc $50,000 first round loss) to just turn up and retire. All men as well; the one WTA retirement was an injury in the match. probably has more to do with the BO5/BO3 than anything else. anyway, CC today was a joke.

Really impressive from Rodianova. Qualifying was a great achievement to start with but to knock out the 16th seed is terrific. Didn't see her match as I was watching Kokkinakis but look forward to seeing her next one. Well done Arina :thumbsu:

As soon as they get rid of Todd Woodbridge more people would watch tennis in Australia. He is constantly talking about his grand slams especially during Wimbledon. The thing I love is during the Aus Open when they saw Todd Woodbridge winner of 10 grand slams, Jim Courier adds in ‘doubles is a hard game’. I really don’t like the guys comments and pointing out the obvious.

I've always defended Tomic and Krygios because of their undoubted talent, but I can't anymore. Both are pea-hearts for different reasons.

Nik just needs to get his injuries sorted before even thinking about stepping onto a tennis court. He obviously could be anything if he got his body and his head right.

Nik isn't a pea heart. I think he actually wants to win ALOT. If Tomic had that kind of injury he wouldn't have been anywhere near the court. Fronting up and trying to play took alot of guts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back