Wingard to the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are just trying to stretch the cap of the teams that will push them in the coming years ... i am sure they would take Chad on a 5 for 5 but i really hope he stays on course with the Pear .

It's only rumour I've heard, but was that he basically said "if you draft me I won't play" or words to that effect.

With 15 first round picks, GWS stayed clear.
Disagree, it wasn't that extreme. From my understanding basically it was
"You can draft me, but in 2 year's I'll be going home"
Fearing he'd leave after they'd spent 2 years developing him, GWS let him slide.

The rumour is no doubt crap, but did Wingard manipulate the draft to stay in SA / go to Port, or was it more to make sure he didn't go to GWS?

It's only rumour I've heard, but was that he basically said "if you draft me I won't play" or words to that effect.

Not rumour, he's confirmed it himself. He literally told GWS in a pre-draft interview that if they took him he'd leave after two years (and hilariously has been called "brave" for his draft manipulation). GWS had the top five picks, Port was 6th so with GWS warned away he was only ever going to a home town club.

Not rumour, he's confirmed it himself. He literally told GWS in a pre-draft interview that if they took him he'd leave after two years (and hilariously has been called "brave" for his draft manipulation). GWS had the top five picks, Port was 6th so with GWS warned away he was only ever going to a home town club.

Judd said the same thing (sorta) to West Coast.

Except it was after he was drafted. "Thanks for drafting me, but I will be leaving after 2 years".

The punt we took paid dividends with A Brownlow medal, a premiership captain then into a 100+ game midfield + Coleman medallist.

With all those draft picks, GWS were stupid not to take the punt

this wouldn't surprise me, As Clarkson said If he had the chance to pick any player it would be wingard. I have a feeling they would do anything to get their grubby hands on him when he's out of contract.

stay the F away Hawks!

This is rubbish makes no sense. Hawks have the best forward misquote fleet there is. Hawks would be aiming to consolidate its midfield for when Mitch, Burgs and Hodge call it a day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd said the same thing (sorta) to West Coast.

Except it was after he was drafted. "Thanks for drafting me, but I will be leaving after 2 years".

The punt we took paid dividends with A Brownlow medal, a premiership captain then into a 100+ game midfield + Coleman medallist.

With all those draft picks, GWS were stupid not to take the punt
Ollie Wines was just about in tears when he got drafted to Port. DID NOT WANT. Wouldn't have blamed him at the time either.

link
Ollie found out 10 minutes before the draft, Port Adelaide would choose him. The family found out minutes later.

"We were in shock,'' she said. ‘'Tony was in shock. Not shock, but he was losing Ollie so to speak. I didn't even know where Port Adelaide was, put it that way. Can I say that? I was like, where is Port Adelaide. I knew it was in Adelaide somewhere, but we didn't know about Alberton.

"And you know what else, this time last year, what had been in the papers with the poor boy who died (John McCarthy), all the tragedy that occurred. I remember reading the paper, sitting right there at the table, and I felt for the club and the family, but I was hoping he doesn't go there.

"We thought we were in footy hell and now we're in footy heaven and I say that in the nicest possible way.''

A year past, a season continuing, and with 18-year-old Ollie playing with the angels on the MCG in an AFL finals series, mum couldn't be happier.

"He's in footy heaven. We are in footy heaven. From footy hell to footy heaven.''
link
You're right, sometimes you've just got to back yourselves to get it right. And as in West Coast's case, even if they do end up leaving if they're worth picking you'll be rewarded when they're off. I'm sure you're feeling ok about Kennedy and Masten driving you to a home prelim right now.

It's interesting to hear these stories re: wingard manipulation and wines nearly in tears about port. I know the kavanagh stories, care factor zero on that one but is there a thread on these topics?

Given the number of picks they had I don't think that's the reason GWS didn't take him. Probably more of a negative attitude assessment issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back