Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Philipou having a dig at Essendon

They better hope Elijah is a good player

Didn't like or see the need for 2 KPD/Defenders and another midfielder who doesn't like defensive pressure

We needed defensive pressure in the midfield and probably a KPF more than defender

We resisted the temptation to draft bulk half back flankers (only 1/7) and actually drafted a forward. That's a win, even if I had never heard of him.

Suppose you are backing natural and organic improvement from with (hopefully Amiss has recovered fully from that horrific kidney injury he suffered in the WAFL)
Don't like the Wagner selection as all, I get the need for some experienced/bigger bodies but he is just a list clogger

Would be happy if he proves me wrong and finds a niche at Freo.

Suppose you are backing natural and organic improvement from with (hopefully Amiss has recovered fully from that horrific kidney injury he suffered in the WAFL)
Don't like the Wagner selection as all, I get the need for some experienced/bigger bodies but he is just a list clogger

Would be happy if he proves me wrong and finds a niche at Freo.
Amiss played in the two finals after the kidney injury so presumably he is fine. That said, he wasn't spotted at training Monday so who knows.

Its hard to get excited by Wagner I agree, but given pick 57 in this draft is likely to be a list clogger either way, I suspect we rated the likely list clogger that has a decent chance of contributing next year given who we've lost.

Who knows, for ever 99 list clogger recycled types you get a Menegola. Could get lucky.

I though North did what they needed to do. Have had a very good off season
Lions had a very good off season as well
Blues got quality and needs. Lemmy could be a steal
WCE did well but they needed to
Saints could be very good or very bad. Time will tell
I liked the Hawks picks

Clearly St Kilda and dons had great nights. Norf did well but with their picks you expect that and drury a great rookie get. Hawks great haul but weakening 2023 not ideal but at least we still have our first and late second and third.
Did anyone see the Gold Coast room? No wonder the Bowes trade happened it looked less like a professional recruiting room and more like summer work experience…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely a quiet / boring draft from Freo. We seem to have decided that we have enough kids / projects and we wanted to prioritize mature bodies. Dont think any club bar Melbourne likes rucks as much as we do though.

I'm excited to watch Emmett, the exact type of player that our forwardline needs and Walls doesnt miss on many mature age unheard of smokies. Kid with his history will leave no stone unturned to get the most out of himself as well.

If nothing else, Hugh Davies is going to scare the life out of opposing team KPFs

1669794958414.png

Personally I think he’s a flight risk to go to another Victoria club or back home.

Possibly, Saints can't worry about that, in the first round, you should always take the best available player/talent and clearly Phllilpou was at The Saints first pick.

I would back Ross Lyon to make him happy and settled at The Saints, St Kilda took a more prudent/solid (less risk taking on speculative picks) approach to their drafting this time around.

I’m sure Saints are thrilled Phillipou wanted to go to the Bombers.
Love the kids confidence, grew up following Port Adelaide but now he is a Saint, hopefully he sticks to his word.

South Australian midfielder Mattaes Phillipou has voiced his desire to become a one-club player with whichever organisation he gets drafted to.

Love the kids confidence, grew up following Port Adelaide but now he is a Saint, hopefully he sticks to his word.

South Australian midfielder Mattaes Phillipou has voiced his desire to become a one-club player with whichever organisation he gets drafted to.

Yeah I know he said that, but he said it in the context of in his mind Essendon had chosen him.
I think he’s full of hot air personally.

Yeah considering the picks we had I think we got exceptional value, and in the process we also managed to address key needs with all 4 picks. Which is about the best you hope for.

It will be really interesting to see which way he goes.

I did a best 22 last night and wasn’t necessarily able to fit in any of Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Phillipou, Owens, Sharman, or Bytel, so Ross could easily just pick a team to win, and we could feasibly play finals, or he could leave a few out who would be stiff, and pick a team with half an eye for the future and see how that goes.

Collingwood actually went the latter path in 2010 and it turned out quite well for them.
surely we have to have an eye to the future like we did this year under Ratten, Nas Windy, and Owens all got decent game time, Coops too later in the year, pley'em if you think they're good enough

Yeah I know he said that, but he said it in the context of in his mind Essendon had chosen him.
I think he’s full of hot air personally.
it's good the kids got some personality and beleif, he has denied saying that to Dodoro tho so maybe some bluster from Adrian perhaps.

as for go home factor, we've got maybe 9 SA's on our list now, so I'm sure that club is all over trying to keep them in Vic.

Adelaide will be praying Keeler is a flunk otherwise they'll be the big losers.
Just because you have talent doesn't mean you have the drive to be a professional elite athlete. Yeah the highlights look good but it's the stuff happening when he doesn't have the ball is the concern.
Maybe it'll work out and he'll capture that hunger to be great, but from what we've seen the past 2 years in our Academy the application from him wasn't there for us to warrant an AFL list spot.

It's like your club just wanted to cause maximum carnage and didn't really care about the actual kids they drafted.
Nope. Kinnear doesn't operate that way. We bid were we think the players are according to the Swans. Not where others have them flagged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back