Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

All religions are stupid in their ideology.

Some are stupider than others in their adherence and practices.

Wokianity is heading up in this regard with a rocket.

Pretend to be a black person .. RACIST..you're horrible if you do this.

Pretend to be a woman .. OK.. you're horrible if you criticise this.

Gender appropriation is awesome!

Plankng is offensive to the non horizontally oriented.

Planking was offensive to some people with spinal injuries in traction.

Offense is everywhere! Just pick up some, take the 'moral' high ground and feel the self satisfaction roll in!!

That's what wokianity is all about! It's beautiful.

Systemic racism is not the same as planking. This thread has gone to s**t.

With "WOKE" in the title it was bound to.

"Woke" collectively represents the emergence & influence of postmodernism & associated epistemological bullshit in the modern academic & socio-political world.

Most of its "victims" aren't even aware of its designs or origins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody cries victim like white men. sh*t, that includes me!

So predictable I'll repeat myself word for word.. This isn't about being victimised.. who's getting victimised?! We get to give up nothing (other than a few things down the memory hole) pay lip service, achieve no progress on nonsense causes and everyone will think we're good people!

It's a wonderful opportunity and I'm glad you're embracing it as I am.

Dunno mate. My wife isn't white. ;)

White males might respond to the initial whinging, but they aren't the ones initially instigating it. Do you think mechanical engineers are driving this "woke" crap?

Nope, it's the humanities & academia which are significantly over-represented by women. Young males brainwashed by 3 generations of this in the education system, and comfortable middle class delusionals, are now driving it further.

1614502899941.png

Wokianity is heading up in this regard with a rocket.

Pretend to be a black person .. RACIST..you're horrible if you do this.

Pretend to be a woman .. OK.. you're horrible if you criticise this.

Gender appropriation is awesome!
Really, really dumb false equivalence.

White males might respond to the initial whinging, but they aren't the ones initially instigating it. Do you think mechanical engineers are driving this "woke" crap?

Nope, it's the humanities & academia which are significantly over-represented by women. Young males brainwashed by 3 generations of this in the education system, and comfortable middle class delusionals, are now driving it further.

View attachment 1067288
Corporate HR departments are the next frontier.

I am all for proactive initiatives to promote diversity, however this is being used as vehicle to push some pretty radical ideology.

Corporate HR departments are the next frontier.

I am all for proactive initiatives to promote diversity, however this is being used as vehicle to push some pretty radical ideology.

It's being utilised to facilitate careers that have no real purpose.

Not every tertiary educated sociologist/political scientist/english lit/race studies/journalism/gender studies graduate can find actual gainful employment in their field, so a bureaucracy that is littered with these types is creatinga for them via socio-political force.

It's an ideological takeover of society.

Really, really dumb false equivalence.
Not completely.

Lets put the term "woke" aside

"Blackface" is racist and has been identified as such for long enough that people cannot plead ignorance when caught.

Identity politics generally favours the more oppressed group. Feminists and Trans activists were initially aligned by their intersectionality which made sense. As Trans activism shifts from being sensible to the ridiculous (people who menstruate, chest feeding, birthing parents, biological males playing womens sport etc..) there is increasing conflict between trans activists with and traditional feminists/women in general.

Women are becoming increasingly aware of the fact that trans people (men and women) are being accommodated at their expense and some of their identity is being lost as a result. If they speak out (JK Rowling) they are labelled as TERFs.

Is painting ones face black a worse type of cultural appropriation than attempting to change language which erodes the gender identity of females to appease a niche minority at the expense of 50% of the population?

(I have no issue with Trans people using whichever language they want to, also happy to address them and use language that makes them as an individual feel comfortable. Just don't attempt to change it for others)

Last edited:
Not completely.

Identity politics generally favours the more oppressed group. Feminists and Trans activists were initially aligned by their intersectionality which made sense. As Trans activism shifts from being sensible to the ridiculous (people who mensturate, chest feeding, birthing parents, biological males playing womens sport etc..) there is increasing conflict with traditional feminists and women in general.

Women are becoming increasingly aware of the fact that biologically born men are being accommodated at their expense and some of their identity is being lost as a result. Of course they are branded as TERFs.
I have a question. When discussing this stuff, do you have to routinely remove your brain or any other accumulated knowledge you possess in order to make sense of things?

'Pretending' to be black is Blackface, which has a long historical precedence as being racist. People can take such too far; it's a bit silly to try to stop people from using gifs featuring black people when they're not for example, but it's at least a conversation worth having.

Referring to being transgender as 'pretending' to be a woman demonstrates either a deliberate misunderstanding of what being transgender is for the purposes of trolling or a genuine inability to understand the nature of gender as socially constructed period.

So yes, a false equivalence, and a really dumb and trolly one.

Identity politics generally favours the more oppressed group.

Time out.

It favors historically oppressed groups.

Now most of it engages in a bastardised form of its origins to facilitate the manufacturing of guilt, a naked grab for power, and the rising above the point of equality for a select group (including the woke activists), at the price of oppressing a manufactured present day oppressor that does not exist.

Welcome to postmodernism.

'Pretending' to be black is Blackface, which has a long historical precedence as being racist. People can take such too far; it's a bit silly to try to stop people from using gifs featuring black people when they're not for example, but it's at least a conversation worth having.

Referring to being transgender as 'pretending' to be a woman demonstrates either a deliberate misunderstanding of what being transgender is for the purposes of trolling or a genuine inability to understand the nature of gender as socially constructed period.

So yes, a false equivalence, and a really dumb and trolly one.
1. Agreed and I have said as such, although not sure "digital blackface" is a conversation worth having.
2. Nowhere did I use the word "Pretending"

Just because gender is a social construct does not mean that people are inherently unhappy with their traditional gender identity. At what expense is the traditional female gender identity being eroded in order to appease a very small minority? Is that just collateral damage of the culture wars that they should just accept?

1. Agreed and I have said as such, although not sure "digital blackface" is a conversation worth having.
2. Nowhere did I use the word "Pretending"
Not talking about your use of the word pretending, I'm talking about the original post I quoted.
Just because gender is a social construct does not mean that people are inherently unhappy with their traditional gender identity. At what expense is the traditional female gender identity being eroded in order to appease a very small minority? Is that just collateral damage of the culture wars that they should just accept?
Is the erosion of the traditional gender identity from necessity a bad thing? Who does it harm, in the short, medium and long term?

Given that trans people represent such a small minority, how does their assumption of a different gender identity affect those whose gender matches their biology? Is there an affect at all?

How does them undergoing gender reassignment affect traditionally gendered people in any way whatsoever?

Before I just assume that there is 'collateral damage of the culture wars', I would appreciate some basis for how the people objecting to it are damaged by it. I also don't understand how people who nominally consider themselves libertarian aren't all for the freedom to allow their bodies to reflect their minds outside of government or social control, but that's just me.

The erosion of traditional gender identity is fine, so long as you don't take it any further than that. Have 2 genders, have 100 genders, have an individual gender for every person - whatever, just don't expect language to be rewritten and biology to be redefined because of it.

The main reason Jordan Peterson rose to fame is his public criticism of bill C-16 in Canada which he considers compelled speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back