Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

That's kinda the point I'm making, you aren't really thinking about it.

Just jumping on an outrage wagon without reading the instructions.
I don’t think you can circumvent these constraints (and they are constraints) by putting obese redheads in it. You might be right - I can’t be bothered doing the further reading.
I think either way it’s perverse and weird that the arts are subject to these sprawling standards, as if they’re engineering requirements for building a bridge or something. In my view the criteria should be:

Your film should be:
A. A good film.

I don’t think you can circumvent these constraints (and they are constraints) by putting obese redheads in it. You might be right - I can’t be bothered doing the further reading.
I think either way it’s perverse and weird that the arts are subject to these sprawling standards, as if they’re engineering requirements for building a bridge or something. In my view the criteria should be:

Your film should be:
A. A good film.

It seems to only relate to one type of funding, and perhaps award eligibility.

So as others in here suggest, the 'unwoke' films which are apparently where all the money is made, shouldn't need government funding or woke awards to succeed. Because apparently the market supports those unwoke films regardless of criteria.

It seems to only relate to one type of funding, and perhaps award eligibility.

So as others in here suggest, the 'unwoke' films which are apparently where all the money is made, shouldn't need government funding or woke awards to succeed. Because apparently the market supports those unwoke films regardless of criteria.
Yeah okay that sounds fair enough. You’re right, I’m wrong etc.

Under represented groups could include - an actor with red hair, obesity, baldness, freckles etc etc.

There is a lot of scope within that criteria. Creative people could work around it quite easily.
Only if its a she with short red hair. Baldness would have to also be a minority group or a cancer survivor.
Obesity should never be promoted but yes, the far left seem to think they are victims of something.

And this under represented idea is a woke ideology. Should be the best actor, writer etc you can get. If that happens to be someone from a minority group, the majority would not care but we know that isnt the case.

Only if its a she with short red hair. Baldness would have to also be a minority group or a cancer survivor.
Obesity should never be promoted but yes, the far left seem to think they are victims of something.

And this under represented idea is a woke ideology. Should be the best actor, writer etc you can get. If that happens to be someone from a minority group, the majority would not care but we know that isnt the case.

It specifies under represented, not minority. There is a difference.

It specifies under represented, not minority. There is a difference.
You are correct on the definition but in practice, we know that isn't the case. If you are white and especially a white male, you are out. Particularly in the film industry.

The diversity bean counters totally lost control years ago. The whole point of diversity in media is that it's not just the same straight white men in every film, reading the news, on the radio etc. Now they can't measure anything on merit without holding up a diversity checklist. But Hamilton is stunning and brave.

That doesnt prove me wrong about Hollywood movies and how you now need to tick the boxes to get a gig. Esp in the last few years.
And Hopkins is a star. Malek is Egyptian or something too,

U must have your eyes and ears shut if u think its the best actors featuring in movies these days and not an agenda. Just go through all the remakes coming out for starters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesnt prove me wrong about Hollywood movies and how you now need to tick the boxes to get a gig. Esp in the last few years.
And Hopkins is a star. Malek is Egyptian or something too,

U must have your eyes and ears shut if u think its the best actors featuring in movies these days and not an agenda. Just go through all the remakes coming out for starters.
Sorry I got in the way of your white male victimhood.

Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back