Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

They teach the bible as part of religious education, they don’t teach it as science. I don’t think many (if any) kids who attend a religious nowadays would come away with delusions about dead people being resurrected outside of the bible stories, let alone in their own life.
That’s funny I could have sworn the (alleged) resurrection of Jesus Christ was pretty central to the Christian faith.

As for a mentally healthy and robust society, well I think the jury’s still out on that. Religious life has been the norm for basically all of human history up until the last generation or so. So we have a proven but blemished track record on hand, and an unproven record on the other. 🤷‍♂️

There’s plenty of research showing most religions offer a pretty positive aspect in terms of feeling one is part of a community. There’s plenty of evidence prayer offers some benefits not unlike meditation does. There’s also plenty of research showing Christianity’s morbid obsession with death and a supposed afterlife are generating a great deal of mental unwellness in our society.

Can you provide examples of casuals working unpaid overtime?
Rife in two sectors I've worked in, cleaning and petrol stations.

At my first position in a petrol station - which I won't name on a public forum - you were expected to work around half an hour before and after your shift. If you worked a closing shift, the site was to be available to the public every minute until close, where you were only paid until close; you then had to close the site, which could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 depending on if there were any issues. If you worked an opening shift, the inverse is true; you don't just turn up at 5 or 6 and open the doors, you have an array of tasks to accomplish and if you tried to do them without arriving earlier than you were getting paid they weren't getting done.

I've worked for two shopping centre cleaning companies, and the first one did numerous illegal things as far as employment and contracts went. Cleaners were paid below award rates without any renegotiation or recompensation; work went unpaid for significant periods of time; continuous work as a casual must by law move to part time rates and rights after more than 6 months service, where I was a casual for them for 3 years.

Seeing as that's a story, here's some evidence; this, from one of the petrol station companies I haven't worked for:

So, it's only minimum wage earners and conservatives that cry over spilt milk?
It's apparent the left don't care if someone else cleans their s**t. Give the protesters a sentence of 6 months cleaning public toilets and I'd bet they'll learn something.

I suppose many of us don't really care about the soup stain on a piece of glass that sits in front of the ridiculously priced artwork.

s that from the Washington times ? British press say the frames were damaged. This post illustrates ElectriF’s position. Whatever the extent of damage, attacking Art in a museum / gallery is outrageous.

I suppose many of us don't really care about the soup stain on a piece of glass that sits in front of the ridiculously priced artwork.
This is why we can’t have nice things.
No respect. Setting aside the fact that it did not and never would belong to them it’s a mindless display of sheer idiocy. So we can all go out and vandalize other peoples property in the name of climate change?

Would you care if it was thrown on your carpet or emptied onto the front seat of your car ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why we can’t have nice things.
No respect. Setting aside the fact that it did not and never would belong to them it’s a mindless display of sheer idiocy. So we can all go out and vandalize other peoples property in the name of climate change?

Would you care if it was thrown on your carpet or emptied onto the front seat of your car ?

There's plenty of nice things. What a ridiculous assertion to make.

Thought I was offering a solution rather than just stating a fact. But whatever.
My link was to show that the solution ("yeah but they can go to fair work") was not effective in ending wage theft. It happens regardless.

You just repeated "yeah but Fair Work". Not worth carrying on with past that, really.

There's always a silly but vocal minority of people who defend objectively shitty things like mass littering across city blocks (women's march) or razing small businesses (BLM - "but muh insurance"), blocking traffic, or vandalising a famous artwork.

These shitty acts don't necessarily invalidate the movements that inspired them, but we can surely agree that in isolation they are still shitty. We were taught these basic values in primary school. Don't drop your twisties packet on the playground and leave it there. Don't set Mr. Smith's car on fire. That kinda thing.

There's an argument to be made that muh capitalist pigs should pay more to the workers who have to deal with the consequences of these actions, but that doesn't mean we should go out of our way to make their current job conditions even more difficult for them.

My link was to show that the solution ("yeah but they can go to fair work") was not effective in ending wage theft. It happens regardless.

You just repeated "yeah but Fair Work". Not worth carrying on with past that, really.
The MacDonalds link I provided showed it can be effective.
Simply complaining about it isn’t going to change anything. People need to follow through.

The rise of the online anti LGBT right, the Shaprios, the Crodwers, the Tucker Carlsons, have infected Australia to a lower degree than America but they still have some influence. A war for the soul of the Liberal party is currently being fought (and I’d say being won) by them.

They want to turn the formerly Australian liberal right into the conservative GOP.

I agree there’s definitely skeletons in the closet of these guys, Shapiro let it accidentally slip recently that his wife isn’t turned on by him, WTF is going on there?
Totally agree with what you've said.

Definite skeletons, and they always come out eventually. 99 percent of conservatives are projecting with whatever they're outraged about.
No surprise Shapiro can't turn on his mrs. Bonafide dweeb.

It looks to me like these schools that get huge amounts of taxpayer money to push their hateful ideology are attended by students whose parents only send them there in the first place due to how well resourced they are. To me it's quite simple, either they stop with their bible bullshit or the public money stops. I mean the obvious thing to do would be ban such places from even existing in the first place and let religion be a thing that only gets taught in the home or in houses of worship, but i think withdrawing public money is a good start. And none of this bullshit about it taking pressure of the public system, they soak up far more money than they do pressure.

Queensland Christian school principal asked students if they knew unmarried teacher lived with boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back