AFLW Womens Tactical Analysis - Where can we see fast improvement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I’ve watched a fair bit of AFLW since it’s inception and the evolution of the tactics and skills of the original sides is extraordinary to say the least.

I can’t say I’ve watched VFLW so Friday was first look at our women.

the gulf in the tactics/skill was crazy. Was this just nerves do we think?

Defensively our structures were solid I felt but offensively quite frankly was garbage and Carlton looked like they were playing another sport.

So where do we need to improve? Is it something that a switch can be flicked? Was Friday an anomaly compared to the girls in the VFLW (or are there totally different players in both?)

Are our tactics actually ok and the personnel not up to it and I’m barking up the wrong tree?

I’ve watched a fair bit of AFLW since it’s inception and the evolution of the tactics and skills of the original sides is extraordinary to say the least.

I can’t say I’ve watched VFLW so Friday was first look at our women.

the gulf in the tactics/skill was crazy. Was this just nerves do we think?

Defensively our structures were solid I felt but offensively quite frankly was garbage and Carlton looked like they were playing another sport.

So where do we need to improve? Is it something that a switch can be flicked? Was Friday an anomaly compared to the girls in the VFLW (or are there totally different players in both?)

Are our tactics actually ok and the personnel not up to it and I’m barking up the wrong tree?

Think we need to wait until we have a few games under our belt. I've watched a fair bit of our VFLW games and the structures and tactics have been very sound. We have been hard to play against. Unfortunately this doesn't mean much when you hit AFLW though.

Think Friday night was a bit of everything, nerves, jump in standard, skill level under pressure.

Need to remember that Friday night we had:
5 players who we know have succeeded at this level before;
6 have been on an AFLW list before but were cut or not given a game and have been given a second chance;
7 were VFLW upgrades new to AFLW so finding their feet at this level;
3 were draftees;
First time AFLW coach. (VFLW Coach of the Year 2019 though so right guy chosen)

This on what is arguably the second biggest AFLW match of the season prime time Friday night. Tough gig.

We will be ok. Just takes a bit of time.

Last edited:
I noticed at times it looked like Carlton had a spare in def and sometimes two.
The womens game had less players so if a mid loses theyre oppo going forward or back it’s alot of space for somebody else to cover.
Also I’d rather see more hit up players when moving the ball and more emphasis on marking when picking players.
Gabby Seymour spent alot of time in def but could be used more transitioning. We lost alot of the ball when it hit the ground.
But still its hard to judge cause were judging the way Carlton made us play.

We just hacked it forward. A number of times another disposal would of opened up some
options for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah which is what teams in the inaugural season did.

we looked 4 years behind.

Haven't had a chance to watch the game yesterday, but from the first game it appeared that a lack of understanding a teammates tendencies caused a lot of attacking moves to breakdown as a kick wasn't quite put in the right spot or the teammate simply wasn't in the right spot. The more the girls get to play together the more cohesion we will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back