Why we are where we are at

Remove this Banner Ad

himmelberg?

Shocked Animal Crossing GIF by Mashed

Its hard enough to nail your high 1st rounders while bottoming out, we screwed that up for 30 years.
To expect a successful refresh using low 1st rounders during contending years is asking too much.
Consider the importance of the 09-13 years, when we were getting that top end talent to 50-100 games as quick as possible. That exposure to AFL level was crucial for their development.
It's harder to develop another generation of players (lower picks) through the 2nds with occasional stints at top level, often being thrown into different positions covering for the older injured players.

Todd Marshall & Nick Larkey end of 2024
Darcy Fogarty end of 2025

3 restricted free agents that would better suit the age profile of being longer term options and all better key forwards than Harry is
Todd Marshall is the only realistic chance to move

Larkey & Fogarty wont be leaving and will be 1 club players and their clubs have more than enough to pay them what they want

But getting Himmelberg doesnt stop you from going after another KPF as we also will be needing a Lynch replacement in 2 years

Todd Marshall is the only realistic chance to move

Larkey & Fogarty wont be leaving and will be 1 club players and their clubs have more than enough to pay them what they want

But getting Himmelberg doesnt stop you from going after another KPF as we also will be needing a Lynch replacement in 2 years
And we'll need a Harry replacement 2-3 years after that, he's just not worth it

Why would you need a replacement in 2-3 years ?
He has 5 years in him atleast
He's 27 next weekend, so would be 28 first year with us if he comes at seasons end. By time Lynch retires in 2-3 years time, that would mean Harry is 30-31, that means we'd have another 1-2 years before we'd need to be looking at a Harry replacement. As I saiid we need KPFs that can be there for 7-8 years so that our bookends are settled for that period of time as we'll have the likes of Balta and Gibcus playing in 7-8 years time if they continue on as they've started their careers.

He's 27 next weekend, so would be 28 first year with us if he comes at seasons end. By time Lynch retires in 2-3 years time, that would mean Harry is 30-31, that means we'd have another 1-2 years before we'd need to be looking at a Harry replacement. As I saiid we need KPFs that can be there for 7-8 years so that our bookends are settled for that period of time as we'll have the likes of Balta and Gibcus playing in 7-8 years time if they continue on as they've started their careers.
Dude seriously its not that hard you get 5 years out of a player like HH

Dude seriously its not that hard you get 5 years out of a player like HH
I'm not saying you can't get 5 years out of him, I just don't think he is worth the investment it will take to get him and the return that we'll get from that. If we're going to invest $750k like you've suggested I want a KPF who can kick 50-60 goals a season, not 35-40 goals that is Harrys best return for a season. So far this season playing as a forward he's kicked 1 or 0 goals in 5 of 7 games and that's not what you want from a bloke you're paying big $ to.

I'm not saying you can't get 5 years out of him, I just don't think he is worth the investment it will take to get him and the return that we'll get from that. If we're going to invest $750k like you've suggested I want a KPF who can kick 50-60 goals a season, not 35-40 goals that is Harrys best return for a season. So far this season playing as a forward he's kicked 1 or 0 goals in 5 of 7 games and that's not what you want from a bloke you're paying big $ to.
You clearly are not understanding what im saying

* You get him for no trade as a free agent and he is way better than what we have on the list for the next 5 years until we develop Ryan , Bradtke , Bauer or who ever else we have

* Martin , Lynch , Riewoldt , Cotchin , Grimes , Tarrant , Castagna , Broad , McIntosh , Pickett and possibly another 3-4 more will all be gone in 3-4 years time. You cannot just Bank salary cap space and over pay players like Gibcus or Cumberland when they have not yet earned that and have no players keeping you competitive then start losing talent because players play to win

We need a mature 2nd foward for 2024-2028 period

You clearly are not understanding what im saying

* You get him for no trade as a free agent and he is way better than what we have on the list for the next 5 years until we develop Ryan , Bradtke , Bauer or who ever else we have

* Martin , Lynch , Riewoldt , Cotchin , Grimes , Tarrant , Castagna , Broad , McIntosh , Pickett and possibly another 3-4 more will all be gone in 3-4 years time. You cannot just Bank salary cap space and over pay players like Gibcus or Cumberland when they have not yet earned that and have no players keeping you competitive then start losing talent because players play to win

We need a mature 2nd foward for 2024-2028 period
I do understand what you're saying, it's you not understanding what I'm saying.

While we get him for free as a free agent, there are a few things you don't seem to be considering.

* Harry is struggling to kick a goal a game this year and you want to pay him $750k a year for the first 3 years of his time with us. For that kind of money I'd be looking at a return of 2-3 goals a game even as a second string KPF.

* By playing Harry you're depriving development opportunities to the likes of Ryan Bradtke & Bauer to play that second fiddle role where they may well average the same 1-2 goals a game that Harry is currently averaging, but they're being paid about $600k a season less than him. Much better to either bank the money for future years or pay extra to others who might be on bigger deals like Hopper Taranto Short Bolton so that we create more cap space down the track so that when all those older guys have moved on we can target their replacements either through the trade or free agency route.

* We will have a mature 2nd forward during the 2024-2028 period, with Ryan getting exposure this year and then continuing on next year when Jack has retired, he could gradually work his way into being the number 1 option from 2025 which then sees Lynch become the secondary option if he remains, if he retires at the end of 2025, we could then go and target a younger option via trade/free agency then, which then gives us someone who can stick around well past what Harry would.

I do understand what you're saying, it's you not understanding what I'm saying.

While we get him for free as a free agent, there are a few things you don't seem to be considering.

* Harry is struggling to kick a goal a game this year and you want to pay him $750k a year for the first 3 years of his time with us. For that kind of money I'd be looking at a return of 2-3 goals a game even as a second string KPF.

* By playing Harry you're depriving development opportunities to the likes of Ryan Bradtke & Bauer to play that second fiddle role where they may well average the same 1-2 goals a game that Harry is currently averaging, but they're being paid about $600k a season less than him. Much better to either bank the money for future years or pay extra to others who might be on bigger deals like Hopper Taranto Short Bolton so that we create more cap space down the track so that when all those older guys have moved on we can target their replacements either through the trade or free agency route.

* We will have a mature 2nd forward during the 2024-2028 period, with Ryan getting exposure this year and then continuing on next year when Jack has retired, he could gradually work his way into being the number 1 option from 2025 which then sees Lynch become the secondary option if he remains, if he retires at the
Mate seriously do you even watch games

HH is not being played as a foward and spends as much time in the ruck , in the backline and all over the place

HH is averaging 1.3 goals a game and 1 point a game , He averages 11.5 poss a game at 75% DE
What do you think he is doing with the other poss if he was played as a foward ??

You really need to watch more GWS games Hogan , Cadman , Greene have all been played as KPF this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The HH vs drafting and or developing a player is interesting. HH would take the opportunity from a player currently on our list as we only use 2 KPF.
We traded our high draft picks for a couple of years.. what we do have in 2023 is the chance to trial some players. Ryan, Bauer has been emergency a couple of times.
Bradkte seems a bit raw but we have Young, Balta and Miller in defence and Gibcus due to return.

I think Balta was pretty good up fwd but I'd trial gibcus there.
They spud it up, bring in a player. maybe not a top line KPF, a weideman type.

Martin money is available in 2024, and 200cm Lynch is closing in on retirement.
I hope Ryan might be the tall KPF and Gibcus/Balta the 2nd KPF.

Mate seriously do you even watch games

HH is not being played as a foward and spends as much time in the ruck , in the backline and all over the place

HH is averaging 1.3 goals a game and 1 point a game , He averages 11.5 poss a game at 75% DE
What do you think he is doing with the other poss if he was played as a foward ??

You really need to watch more GWS games Hogan , Cadman , Greene have all been played as KPF this year
Considering our backline is settled(Balta & Gibcus)
2nd fwd/Ruck duties sounds like a job for Ryan.
Why spend 750k on someone who is a spare and as RT said taking away games from Ryan because your paying as guy 750k and have to play him.
Get a bloke like Treacy and your getting a "spare" for 300k not 750k and not forced to play him.
2-3yrs when Lynch retires.That money we saved can go towards someone like Cadman.

Considering our backline is settled(Balta & Gibcus)
2nd fwd/Ruck duties sounds like a job for Ryan.
Why spend 750k on someone who is a spare and as RT said taking away games from Ryan because your paying as guy 750k and have to play him.
Get a bloke like Treacy and your getting a "spare" for 300k not 750k and not forced to play him.
2-3yrs when Lynch retires.That money we saved can go towards someone like Cadman.
We already have a bloke like Treacy in the reserves named Bradtke
By your comments then we dont need another foward and we are all good so lets just go with what we have :thumbsu:

We already have a bloke like Treacy in the reserves named Bradtke
By your comments then we dont need another foward and we are all good so lets just go with what we have :thumbsu:
21yr old vs 28yr old.
By the time we're ready again that 28yr old is 31.

Liked his 1st season.
Bit of Mongrel in him which Dimma would love.
In the last 11 months he has played 10 games in the WAFL for a grand total of 7 goals
Has played 1 game at AFL level this year for 1 goal from 3 disposals
2022 he played 4 games at AFL level and is averaging 0.2 goals a game

Having Mongel has not translated to being a good Foward maybe he should try kicking goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back