World cup (of basketball) 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil Smyth was like "I think you might see some changes in the starting 5" this was just after they showed a graphic of the starting 5 being clearly different. HAHAHAHAHA
John Casey is also terrible. This is Aus basketball commentary for you.

I think this might be more the case...

View attachment 77943

Yeah - looking at that result, my only hope is that we are trying to come 3rd and thus avoid playing the US in the quarters. (but how do they do tiebreakers... if its head-to-head, then a Lithuania lose to Slovenia tonight we stay in 2nd, but if Lithuania win they jump to 1st with Slovenia 2nd).

But coming in 3rd would have us facing (probably) Turkey in R16 (not an easy task) and then coming up against Lith/Slov in the quarters... and if we win both, meeting the US in the semi's.

Last edited:
I didn't get to see the game but if we did tank then I'm extremely disappointed. It's not good sportsmanship imo. The spirit of the competition is worth more than a medal. We're not good enough to win a medal anyway.

I think karma will get us and we'll get rolled before the US.

australia-tank-2.gif

PROOF!! lol

there is quite a bit on twitter which is hilarious

haha the wowsers are crying over this. this isnt the australian way (or is it). just like in the world cup we deplore antics of sides, but if it wins a game then so be it (admittedly we wouldnt be able to win even if we applied time wasting, diving etc).

look, it is what it is, and we proceed on with a chance to play the usa, lose and then play for 3rd place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a bit of pride Australians. I wouldn't want to drop a world championship game deliberately regardless of the circumstances. This is coming after a few days after Ingles said 'we can beat anyone.'

Pretty disappointing stuff.

Ben Simmons retweeted the following. Also complained earlier in the tournament about Exum not getting much playing time; something to the effect of 'What's the point of having so much talent if you don't use it.'

Pretty immature to talk shit about your teammates on Twitter.

Where did he talk shit? He simply stated and RT'ed a fact.

It's cowardly to drop a game in an attempt to avoid a team, where's the pride?

You face whoever they put in front of you, not who you want to put in front of you.

What they did was a cowards move, it's pathetic.

Again, where did he talk shit?
-Saying Australia are scared of the US/competing and that they should have stayed home (via retweet).
-Implicitly having a dig at the guards playing ahead of Exum when he said Australia was wasting the talent they had.

Even Bogut, who is pretty outspoken, wouldn't outwardly say that kind of stuff about his own teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back