• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wormkilla

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Who has the worst list in the AFL?

I think long term Eagles are in the deep deep poo. Aging stars who are appearing more and more uncommitted and unfit (Ryan, McGovern, Yeo) taking up huge space on our salary cap with million dollar contracts. No one decent coming through under 22. Allen is 23 and a prospect but look at his stats - he's not proven anything meaningful yet. The only logical reason i can see them keeping Natanui is to pump out West Australian exclusives about his new baby and to keep selling merch. I liked what they did with splitting pick 2 to get Ginbey and Hewett as long term midfield prospects and taking Barnett which was probably the best ruck get of the recent draft. In 2023, if the keep relatively injury free with our huge home field advantage we might hover around 12th, slight chance of finals. But the drop off is looking like it will be colossal.

Out of all teams to take the field at present, Hawks like like a WAFL team with a shocking forward and midfield devoid of experience but with Newcombe etc coming through at least there is hope. To challenge for a flag by 23 like that cooker Kennett is suggesting though - thats a stretch.

I think long term Eagles are in the deep deep poo. Aging stars who are appearing more and more uncommitted and unfit (Ryan, McGovern, Yeo) taking up huge space on our salary cap with million dollar contracts. No one decent coming through under 22. Allen is 23 and a prospect but look at his stats - he's not proven anything meaningful yet. The only logical reason i can see them keeping Natanui is to pump out West Australian exclusives about his new baby and to keep selling merch. I liked what they did with splitting pick 2 to get Ginbey and Hewett as long term midfield prospects and taking Barnett which was probably the best ruck get of the recent draft. In 2023, if the keep relatively injury free with our huge home field advantage we might hover around 12th, slight chance of finals. But the drop off is looking like it will be colossal.

Out of all teams to take the field at present, Hawks like like a WAFL team with a shocking forward and midfield devoid of experience but with Newcombe etc coming through at least there is hope. To challenge for a flag by 23 like that cooker Kennett is suggesting though - thats a stretch.

Hawthorn's list, as a whole, is the most inexperienced. However it depends if you're happy to use inexperience as justification for saying it's the worst.

Personally I'm incredibly optimistic about where Lewis, Newcombe, Moore, Sicily, Breust, Amon, Hardwick, Day, Jiath and Scrimshaw in particular can take us in 2023. That's a talented list of players. It also doesn't take into account any of the quality youth we've drafted in the past 3 seasons.

If our inexperienced midfield can simply break even over the duration of a full season I don't see why we won't at least equal the 8 wins we had in 2022.

Hawthorn's list, as a whole, is the most inexperienced. However it depends if you're happy to use inexperience as justification for saying it's the worst list.

Personally I'm incredibly optimistic about where Lewis, Newcombe, Moore, Sicily, Breust, Amon, Hardwick, Day, Jiath and Scrimshaw in particular can take us in 2023. That's a talented list of players. It also doesn't take into account any of the quality youth we've drafted in the past 3 seasons.

If our inexperienced midfield can simply break even over the duration of a full season I don't see why we won't at least equal the 8 wins we had in 2022.

I think it's possible that you finish lower than the Eagles next season but have a much brighter future than West Coast (if that makes sense)

Eagles are cooked. Committed to lots of long-term big money deals for injury prone or under-performing players:

Gaff (2 more years)
Yeo (2 more years)
NicNat (2 more years)
Allen (3 more years) *good youngster but injury prone
Tim Kelly (3 more years)
Jack Darling (3 more years)
*Kelly and Darling being paid superstar money but
they’re well below that level.

Having said that, post-2017 I thought the Eagles were in big trouble as their midfield was hopeless in quality and depth …. Then they won the flag ….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hawthorn's list, as a whole, is the most inexperienced. However it depends if you're happy to use inexperience as justification for saying it's the worst.

I actually really like the bones of the Hawks list. Think they’ll do better than most expect

A lot of folks in here seem to be forgetting that we got Jayden Hunt this off-season
Am I underselling you if I say it’s just the next five flags that you’re guaranteed?

Eagles are cooked. Committed to lots of long-term big money deals for injury prone or under-performing players:

Gaff (2 more years)
Yeo (2 more years)
NicNat (2 more years)
Allen (3 more years) *good youngster but injury prone
Tim Kelly (3 more years)
Jack Darling (3 more years)
*Kelly and Darling being paid superstar money but
they’re well below that level.

Having said that, post-2017 I thought the Eagles were in big trouble as their midfield was hopeless in quality and depth …. Then they won the flag ….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I get Darling is being paid a lot more than he’s worth but not that many 450+ goal players and he’s done it in the hardest era to score. Just like Tex the guy gets disrespected too much

St Kilda is a peculiar case. They currently have the list capable of playing finals as they have a lot of mature aged players. In fact, their best 22 is pretty old. It is similar to Geelong but they really don't have much quality in terms of 23 and under. Max King is an obvious choice but other than that, not much coming through.
If they cannot capitalize in the next 2 years, they will drop right away again.

St Kilda is a peculiar case. They currently have the list capable of playing finals as they have a lot of mature aged players. In fact, their best 22 is pretty old. It is similar to Geelong but they really don't have much quality in terms of 23 and under. Max King is an obvious choice but other than that, not much coming through.

I dont envy the saints.

Zero chance of a flag at their lists peak. Not a good spot to be in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this is a pisstake.

Given the choices in the poll (I will take my tri colour glasses off before answering) I find it hard to believe that 3 people could vote for the Crows as the worst list in the league ahead of WC and the Hawks. But we all have access to what squads each team in the poll has.

I'd have WC at 1) atm and the Hawks in the 2) spot then I'd probably have the Saints in 3rd or the Crows not fussed (but you could debate that, and neither are shoo-in's for 3rd in my view). But I think there is a clearly 1 and 2 atm.

Last edited:

Mark Duffield, probably the most respected footy journo in WA pretty much echoed this sentiment around West Coast on SEN this week. They may be middle of the road this year but there’s a huge dearth of young talent ready to take over beyond next year.
I suppose it is hard to find a balance when you’ve won a recent premiership and go all in for another one. The best thing the Eagles could do from here is go the Hawthorn route. Commit to bottoming out to avoid the dreaded no man’s land of being a perpetual 6-12th team. I’m not sure their 100000 members and local supporters will be patient with this as they’ve become accustomed to success over time.

I dont envy the saints.

Zero chance of a flag at their lists peak. Not a good spot to be in

Saints had a really good draft though, and still got Max King, Jack Steele etc.

They have the bones to build a flag contending team imo (things can change pretty quickly in footy if you get some luck and a couple of good years of drafting and trading)

Don’t delete this.

Happy for you to bookmark that post for posterity mate.

I just think coaches who have made such statements in the past have often being burnt badly.

Time will tell I suppose, think Mitchell probably jumped the gun saying that for at least a couple of years (although I do admire his brash confidence:) )

Back