Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just dont see a reason to get him, we aren't in flag contention so we dont need the depth

midfield has enough older players so we dont need the experience

would prefer to fast track some kids and take a risk on some late pick kids

we have a ton of list cloggers already so i dont see the point in getting a short term one, at least a kid who is pick 70 will have some chance of making it in the future

the club needs to embrace youth or we are just going to be stuck mid ladder

This upcoming draft is talked up to be a Super Draft.
I think that I would rather go to the draft table and pick up some good kids.
Besides, I think that a quality ruck is more important atm than an aging midfielder.

WE have heard the super draft talk every year.. and while this year does look good ..is it THAT good? It seems that "they" are trying to play it down a tad..its more a Super Draft Lite.. maybe the first round maybe the first 20 or so players that will be drafted could go top 5 in most other drafts. We will get 1 player from that. We do not have an R2..and are committed to drafting some FSons..Brownless etc. so unless we gather another R1.. I dont see us really ripping into the unrestricted draft...but we will add several kids for sure.

Murphy enhances one of our weaknesses, free or not. We grow as a club by strengthening our needs and weaknesses, not adding to them.
which weakness is that?

please please dont say hard bodies. Our weakness has been we have moved away from being a geelong team with talented highly skilled players and have instead recruited dour hard bodied types with no skills to actually kick winning scores. Basically we have gone from an attacking club that wins on skill and brilliance and turned into bloody collingwood.

which weakness is that?

please please dont say hard bodies. Our weakness has been we have moved away from being a geelong team with talented highly skilled players and have instead recruited dour hard bodied types with no skills to actually kick winning scores. Basically we have gone from an attacking club that wins on skill and brilliance and turned into bloody collingwood.

Again ..I agree with parts of your post.
Surely the big bodies thing doesnt mean we have to play dour footy... our great 07-11 era was in a strong part based on being a copy of Brisbane.. and both clubs had bodies that could belt others around like they were jrs. Turned into Collingwood ...LOL.
Recruiting hard battle ready players doesn't mean we have to play dour football... the little I have seen from MM(not a lot , as I have not studied him).. he seems more of an offensive player , not a dour type. This perhaps is an issue of missmatch.. do we need another Ablett type?

would you be happy if it was murdoch out murphy in
I'm be happy If neither wore a Geelong jumper.

Good list. Could Murphy play off half back and possibly satisfy numbers 4 and 5?
I'm not sure. I don't think he has the defensive capabilities.

which weakness is that?

He's soft, he currently has injury issues (played a total of 36 games in 3 years) and the only spot he's proven himself in the past is in the midfield ... an area which is a strength of ours and already have an overabundance of options.

He's not a goalkicker and he isn't overly skilful either, nor is he quick.

There is no need to recruit Marc Murphy.

Also, the coach is the only one to blame for the way we play, not the recruits, not the players.

Yeah we sure did. GWS were in a position to take the risk given all the first round picks they've had over the years, but what a waste of a high draft pick.

They have done it a tad too often and I think Deludio was a tipping point. The days of just flushing R1s to get another R1 should be done up there.. they need to be winning now to keep them.. or soon they will start to leak quicker than they can replace.

Deludio compared to MM.. one is FA. On may argue MM would be a much better selection for them

I guess I’m softening a little but the Lids thing and the Hmac thing still haunt me.

If MM wants to play here, wants to play cheap.. very cheap., is fit and ready to play his role and doesn’t cost us the list management flexibility to do what we want both in the draft and FA -whatever it is - then it has merit.
If he takes Hayballs place.. then the return is worth it.. however if MM being here means we miss a rd1/2 pick then no..
we must continue to bring in quality youth that want it and want it at Geelong.
Seeing Parfitt, Narkle, Esava, Buzza, cocky, Henry, Stewart indicates we can still pick good things from deep places in he draft.. and we must keep it going to remain up .. as the elite and A graders age infront of us.

Go Catters

just dont see a reason to get him, we aren't in flag contention so we dont need the depth

midfield has enough older players so we dont need the experience

would prefer to fast track some kids and take a risk on some late pick kids

we have a ton of list cloggers already so i dont see the point in getting a short term one, at least a kid who is pick 70 will have some chance of making it in the future

the club needs to embrace youth or we are just going to be stuck mid ladder

I agree with this. except I wouldn't label him a list clogger. Experienced, quality depth that is cheap is good list management IMO.

I also think, if the club have already decided on accepting him, they also already know at least one player who won't be at the club next season, probably through delisting. I won't speculate without knowing contract status of players.

Please no to Marc Murphy. We have enough midfield depth and he we don't need another injury prone player who isn't any good under pressure.

We need ...

1. A legitimate ruckman.

2. Some classy goalkicking small forwards

3. Some hard bodies who are good under pressure.

4. Some elite users of the ball.

5. Hard working rebound debounders.

6. A quality tall forward.
I’d have thought given your views on young Zach that you’d be all for a lockdown small defender also.

Personally I’d have that as more important than 3, 4, 5 but nowhere near as important as 1 and 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d have thought given your views on young Zach that you’d be all for a lockdown small defender also.

Personally I’d have that as more important than 3, 4, 5 but nowhere near as important as 1 and 6.
We've got Bews. there's only room for one really negative small defender in the back half imo.

I guess I’m softening a little but the Lids thing and the Hmac thing still haunt me.

If MM wants to play here, wants to play cheap.. very cheap., is fit and ready to play his role and doesn’t cost us the list management flexibility to do what we want both in the draft and FA -whatever it is - then it has merit.
If he takes Hayballs place.. then the return is worth it.. however if MM being here means we miss a rd1/2 pick then no..
Seeing Parfitt, Narkle, Esava, Buzza, cocky, Henry, Stewart indicates we can still pick good things from deep places in he draft.. and we must keep it going to remain up .. as the elite and A graders age infront of us.

Go Catters
If Kelly leaves I’d warm to Murphy a bit better, but s**t we would have an incredibly old core midfield.

Go Catters

Three different scenarios ..

Deludio expensive trade , Hmac an inexpensive trade but restricted list additions , MM no trade required , probably no effect on list additions.

Im not even convinced he will bring something for us ..but I was not with GA either. Honestly if he couldn't better for us than what Gregson or someone has done id be very surprised. Its a matter of dollars , fitness and team chemistry

It would be more a matter id say of Murdoch out <> in MM short term and Brownless long term etc.

The closest example of downside is Rivers .. long term ..did it cost us Hamling?

What cost us Hamling was freeing up a list spot to bring Blease in. Rivers played some really good footy for us when he was fit.

I agree with this. except I wouldn't label him a list clogger. Experienced, quality depth that is cheap is good list management IMO.

I also think, if the club have already decided on accepting him, they also already know at least one player who won't be at the club next season, probably through delisting. I won't speculate without knowing contract status of players.

Hayball although he's a rookie.

Thurlow would be the other (Zuthrie getting picked ahead of him and signing a 2 year deal tells me that) and GHS will probably leave as a free agent.

Not sure if been mentioned but Murphy would be a yes for me.
The fact we are currently in our premiership window at the moment would be a good fit for 2 years.
Murphy to play mid/wing and Danger to then play more of a forward.

The thing about Murphy is he isn’t a ball hunter, in fact he’s always around the ball but happy to get the outside footy but go when it’s his time to.

We currently have Ablett, Danger, both Selwoods who all ball hunt in tight.

Wouldn’t be a bad move.

And BTW yes I would prefer a ruckman but wouldn’t pass up on the opportunity to get Murphy

Not sure if been mentioned but Murphy would be a yes for me.
The fact we are currently in our premiership window at the moment would be a good fit for 2 years.
Murphy to play mid/wing and Danger to then play more of a forward.

The thing about Murphy is he isn’t a ball hunter, in fact he’s always around the ball but happy to get the outside footy but go when it’s his time to.

We currently have Ablett, Danger, both Selwoods who all ball hunt in tight.

Wouldn’t be a bad move.

And BTW yes I would prefer a ruckman but wouldn’t pass up on the opportunity to get Murphy
We're already a premiership contender. To take that next step doesn't come from adding an extra midfielder.

Adding an extra midfielder will contribute to being able to allow Dangerfield to play more forward.

So adding him could help up take that extra step
Dangerfield has already played forward more this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back