WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rams have officially been accepted into the league.
Wonder if there current league will appeal this like WRFL did last year or they will be happy to see them gone.

Going to be an interesting watch over the next 2 months, the pool of players is getting smaller and smaller, dropping div 3 might just push more players into supers or clubbies comps

Wonder if there current league will appeal this like WRFL did last year or they will be happy to see them gone.

Going to be an interesting watch over the next 2 months, the pool of players is getting smaller and smaller, dropping div 3 might just push more players into supers or clubbies comps
Do we know if they are definitely dropping div 3 yet?

The RDFNL is not appealing..

100% will be 3 divisions.. feel for teams relegated, both have spent big and now will have to roll back contracts somehow

rival

The RDFNL is not appealing..

100% will be 3 divisions.. feel for teams relegated, both have spent big and now will have to roll back contracts somehow

rival

Do they scrap division 3 the following year like they should?

I wouldn't be letting Glen Orden back in unless they have a sound business plan and some actual idea on how to run a football club, because recent history tells you they have NFI.

I liked the part where some of the division 3 sides were showing some backbone and actually trying to get better, but now they can settle back into the same rabbit hole they were too comfortable in anyway...

All hail the WRFL. The saviours are in the form of a ram and a broken hawk

Apparently the league is firm on 9 team D1 in 2024 and 10 teams in 2025.

This means 14 in D2 next year or 7-7 for D2 and D3 (unless Glen Orden are signed off for inclusion).

This is what I suggested a month ago for D1 with an objective of 10 team D1 in 2025. Not ideal for D1 in 2024 but only for 1 year. Not too hard to arrange 18 game season for 9 teams if that what D1 clubs want.

Not a fan of changing structure now, league is changing quickly, Manor Lakes hopefully back soon and longer term will be 3 divisions, keep 3 for now as well, 9-8-7 or 9-8-6 without GO.

No team needs to be relegated from 2023.

Last edited:
This is what I suggested a month ago for D1 with an objective of 10 team D1 in 2025. Not ideal for D1 in 2024 but only for 1 year. Not too hard to arrange 18 game season for 9 teams if that what D1 clubs want.

Not a fan of changing structure now, league is changing quickly, Manor Lakes hopefully back soon and longer term will be 3 divisions, keep 3 for now as well, 9-8-7 or 9-8-6 without GO.

No team needs to be relegated from 2023.
Any structure without 10 in division 1 is a massive fail

Going to be an interesting watch over the next 2 months, the pool of players is getting smaller and smaller, dropping div 3 might just push more players into supers or clubbies comps.

AND the local pool of players will continue to evaporate as soccer could now be the local primary schools’ favoured sport.

Shame on all of you!

Anyone know why Werribee centrals are never floated to join the wrfl pretty much in the centre of all clubs and always seem mid table in the gdfl

Past history says they are not interested. They tried so hard to get into the GDFL in the first place and it is a good point of difference for the club and moving would impact on the netball side of things.

Centrals have never played in the FDL / WRFL but played in the old WSFL and weren't the only club that tried hard to get out of it, not a great reputation.

I get the "point of difference" thing playing in Geelong and the league distribution every year is valuable, however the "point of difference" isn't making them successful- they haven't won a GDFL flag for 20 years and have been also rans for a fair while.

In addition, their women and juniors already play in the WRFL so there already is a link. I think the WRFL will eventually move to a Saturday afternoon option for netball and play along side the men's footy, like country leagues currently. That would solve the Netball quandary.

Not saying the Centrals would make the move but there are links already and it may not be the absolute "no way" as suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Centrals have never played in the FDL / WRFL but played in the old WSFL and weren't the only club that tried hard to get out of it, not a great reputation.

I get the "point of difference" thing playing in Geelong and the league distribution every year is valuable, however the "point of difference" isn't making them successful- they haven't won a GDFL flag for 20 years and have been also rans for a fair while.

In addition, their women and juniors already play in the WRFL so there already is a link. I think the WRFL will eventually move to a Saturday afternoon option for netball and play along side the men's footy, like country leagues currently. That would solve the Netball quandary.

Not saying the Centrals would make the move but there are links already and it may not be the absolute "no way" as suggested.
Just wondering if any/many of the clubs have netball facilities qt their grounds or it'll be a run on Saturday at whitten oval.

I know space is premium for netball courts but would be a great revenue raiser for the clubs with girls sticking around.

Is there any clubs that come to mind who could put courts on their ground ?

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wondering if any/many of the clubs have netball facilities qt their grounds or it'll be a run on Saturday at whitten oval.

I know space is premium for netball courts but would be a great revenue raiser for the clubs with girls sticking around.

Is there any clubs that come to mind who could put courts on their ground ?

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good thing about netball is 2 courts wouldn't take too much space, unlike footy. Only a few WRFL grounds come to mind that wouldn't be suitable - West, Yarraville, Sunshine and Werribee.

In the WRFL Strategic Plan, the league intends to lobby the 6 regional councils to provide netball facilities at the football grounds. Could be a game changer if they succeed.

1984 then the WSFL:
Port Colts to FDFL
Werribee Centrals to GDFL
Williamstown CYMS to VAFA

When they left the WSFL, the GDFL would have been the best standard compared to WSFL and FDFL.

Whether the WRFL is a better standard now is debatable, but there are two reasons for staying where they are right now - the current and future direction of the WRFL (division structures still up in the air, are more clubs going to try and go the the EDFL, is there a chance the EDFL and WRFL could merge) and also the Buckley's dividend for GDFL clubs.

When they left the WSFL, the GDFL would have been the best standard compared to WSFL and FDFL.

Whether the WRFL is a better standard now is debatable, but the there are two reasons for staying where they are right now - the current and future direction of the WRFL (division structures still up in the air, are more clubs going to try and go the the EDFL, is there a chance the EDFL and WRFL could merge) and also the Buckley's dividend for GDFL clubs.
The Centrals' hierarchy appears to be switched on: the club allows local players to play a different (pseudo-country) brand of football. I don't think they'll be in any hurry to leave the competition in which they're quite comfortable.

Hopefully, Westbourne can revitalise as will allow the locals to choose yet another brand of the same game.

The Centrals' hierarchy appears to be switched on: the club allows local players to play a different (pseudo-country) brand of football. I don't think they'll be in any hurry to leave the competition in which they're quite comfortable.

Hopefully, Westbourne can revitalise as will allow the locals to choose yet another brand of the same game.

Fair enough, one of the points I was making was that choice to allow local players to play "country football" has not brought any success for 20 years.

Edfl have announced a fixture Wrfl can’t even work out divisions no wonder teams are leaving

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going to be an interesting watch over the next 2 months, the pool of players is getting smaller and smaller, dropping div 3 might just push more players into supers or clubbies comps.

AND the local pool of players will continue to evaporate as soccer could now be the local primary schools’ favoured sport.

Shame on all of you!
I agree Afl must be brought back to state schools, I walk my dog past my local and there all playing soccer.
20 years ago same school played afl against other state schools on Fridays.
The AFL needs to pull the finger out.

WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back