Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB: Laird - Keath/Hartigan - Milera
C: Atkins - Gibbs - Seedsman
HF: Lynch - Walker (Fogarty) - Knight (Hampton)
F: McGovern - Jenkins/Fogarty - Betts
R: Jacobs - Sloane - M. Crouch
I: B. Crouch (CEY) - Greenwood - Kelly - Douglas (replaced by Smith when fit)

Essentially:
- Doedee in for Lever as the intercept 3rd tall
- Milera in for Smith as the rebounding 7th defender
- Only one of Keath/Hartigan depending on their form and fitness
- Gibbs obviously into the midfield, with Douglas no longer in the mid rotations but acting as a utility (to be replaced by Smith when fit), and Mackay out of the squad completely
- Brouch in for CEY when fit
- Walker in for Fogarty/Jenkins when fit, depending on JJ's form. If JJ goes out, CEY to play backup ruckman whilst still in the 22
- Knight in for Hampton when fit to play Charlie's defensive forward role

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would consider dropping hartigan on last years run down of games played

With the scalps of Patton,Gunston,Gray,Daniher,Lynch,Dusty,Kennedy,hawkins,Cameron, surely you arent suggesting they are all hacks

1 GWS Totally blanketed Jonathon Patton out of the game. 6
2 Haw Went to Gunston and did that job really well. Able to get in the way of many Hawthorn forward thrusts. 6
3 Port Don Pyke surprised everyone by putting him on Robbie Gray and it worked. 7
4 Ess Great dual with Joe Daniher, kept him to two goals. Getting better with each game he plays. 6
5 GCS Moved onto Lynch when Talia was forced off and was OK. 5
6 Rich Had the unenviable task of lining up one on one with Martin out of the goal square, despite conceding one goal held his own. 6
7 NM Torched by Waite. Horror outing and couldn’t do anything right. 2
8 Melb Had a nightmare in defence and couldn’t contain Cam Pedersen when he rested forward. 4
9 Bris Not overworked. Equal lowest disposal stats (nine) for the Crows. 4
10 Frem Put the clamps on Shane Kersten and pushed forward for three inside-50’s. 6
11 Geel Started on Taylor then moved to Hawkins. Did that job pretty well but did make a few mistakes in spoiling. 5
12 StK Blanketed Tim Membrey out of the game. 6
13 Bye.
14 Haw Decision making poor on occasions, needs to read the play better when teammate is in a better position. 4
15 Carl Went off with a hamstring injury late in the third term, didn’t have a great impact on proceedings prior to the injury. 3
16 Hamstring.
17 Hamstring.
18 Hamstring.
19 SANFL Jagged his hamstring in the opening minutes before spending most of the afternoon sitting on the bench. -
20 Hamstring.
21 Hamstring.
22 SANFL Had his hands full with Wundke but his intercept marking was pleasing to watch. -
23 WCE Fantastic effort in some crucial contests against Kennedy. Kept him to one goal. 8
QF GWS Tasked with tracking Cameron until the Giant’s night ended at half time. One percenters huge in the back half. 7
PF Geel Got the Hymie from Get Smart look going but played it well. Did his job. 4
GF Rich Decision-making and skill level let him down enough to hurt his impact. In the end was a liability to the team.

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would consider dropping hartigan on last years run down of games played

With the scalps of Patton,Gunston,Gray,Daniher,Lynch,Dusty,Kennedy,hawkins,Cameron, surely you arent suggesting they are all hacks

1 GWS Totally blanketed Jonathon Patton out of the game. 6
2 Haw Went to Gunston and did that job really well. Able to get in the way of many Hawthorn forward thrusts. 6
3 Port Don Pyke surprised everyone by putting him on Robbie Gray and it worked. 7
4 Ess Great dual with Joe Daniher, kept him to two goals. Getting better with each game he plays. 6
5 GCS Moved onto Lynch when Talia was forced off and was OK. 5
6 Rich Had the unenviable task of lining up one on one with Martin out of the goal square, despite conceding one goal held his own. 6
7 NM Torched by Waite. Horror outing and couldn’t do anything right. 2
8 Melb Had a nightmare in defence and couldn’t contain Cam Pedersen when he rested forward. 4
9 Bris Not overworked. Equal lowest disposal stats (nine) for the Crows. 4
10 Frem Put the clamps on Shane Kersten and pushed forward for three inside-50’s. 6
11 Geel Started on Taylor then moved to Hawkins. Did that job pretty well but did make a few mistakes in spoiling. 5
12 StK Blanketed Tim Membrey out of the game. 6
13 Bye.
14 Haw Decision making poor on occasions, needs to read the play better when teammate is in a better position. 4
15 Carl Went off with a hamstring injury late in the third term, didn’t have a great impact on proceedings prior to the injury. 3
16 Hamstring.
17 Hamstring.
18 Hamstring.
19 SANFL Jagged his hamstring in the opening minutes before spending most of the afternoon sitting on the bench. -
20 Hamstring.
21 Hamstring.
22 SANFL Had his hands full with Wundke but his intercept marking was pleasing to watch. -
23 WCE Fantastic effort in some crucial contests against Kennedy. Kept him to one goal. 8
QF GWS Tasked with tracking Cameron until the Giant’s night ended at half time. One percenters huge in the back half. 7
PF Geel Got the Hymie from Get Smart look going but played it well. Did his job. 4
GF Rich Decision-making and skill level let him down enough to hurt his impact. In the end was a liability to the team.

Because last year is not this year. If he plays the first 3-4 rounds like he performed in the last preseason game he'll be in big trouble. Hopefully it was just a case of not being switched on for a mickey mouse game rather than a sign of future performance. My main point was that we can't afford to go into a game with both Hartigan and Keath in the lineup (unless Talia is injured).

Because last year is not this year. If he plays the first 3-4 rounds like he performed in the last preseason game he'll be in big trouble. Hopefully it was just a case of not being switched on for a mickey mouse game rather than a sign of future performance. My main point was that we can't afford to go into a game with both Hartigan and Keath in the lineup (unless Talia is injured).

Would you drop or consider droppng Betts for his pre season form,looking at what Hartigan did last year he outperformed Talia quite easily

Would you drop or consider droppng Betts for his pre season form,looking at what Hartigan did last year he outperformed Talia quite easily

Despite it being disingenuous to compare Betts to Hartigan both in pedigree and role-wise, if anyone played a month-long stretch as poorly as Hartigan played last week and was actively detrimental to the team's performance then their spot should rightly be questioned, particularly if there's an alternative player in the same position who is capable of performing the role (eg. Keath - whereas we don't have anyone capable of performing Eddie's role apart from Eddie). Isn't that what's happening to JJ at the moment?

I don't quite understand what you're arguing? Are you trying to say that even if Hartigan has 6 goals kicked on him by an average forward for four consecutive games that you'd still leave him in the team?

Despite it being disingenuous to compare Betts to Hartigan both in pedigree and role-wise, if anyone played a month-long stretch as poorly as Hartigan played last week and was actively detrimental to the team's performance then their spot should rightly be questioned, particularly if there's an alternative player in the same position who is capable of performing the role (eg. Keath - whereas we don't have anyone capable of performing Eddie's role apart from Eddie). Isn't that what's happening to JJ at the moment?

I don't quite understand what you're arguing? Are you trying to say that even if Hartigan has 6 goals kicked on him by an average forward for four consecutive games that you'd still leave him in the team?

If you put up Hypotheticals that have never happened historically, thats a pretty unusual question

If betts doesnt get a single possession for four weeks do you drop him aswell,Probably!!!!

I love players like Gibson. Same as I love players like Kelly and Doedee. Pre-season game and you have a chance of getting smashed - doesn't matter. Running to cover your opposition on transition even though they probably won't get used - irrelevant. No compromise. No choosing when to go.

It's why I have this ongoing issue with JJ, Mackay and Milera (to some extent).

I'll have Gibson all day, because I know he will do whatever he can to help his team win.
I'd rather teach Milera to do the same things and have an above average player rather than a plodder who gets best out of himself

What is knights injury status? Haven’t heard a lot. Obviously not in frame now but where’s he at

They said 4-6 weeks at the time of the injury? Remember a video interview with him also saying he was tracking well.

Think he would play 1-2 in the SANFL when he's fit (ready for round 2 maybe?) then be available for selection most likely.

I'd rather teach Milera to do the same things and have an above average player rather than a plodder who gets best out of himself
I think the hard working player that gets the best out of himself is under-rated. I'll take that over the guy with potential that he never reaches ... especially in the window we are in.

Gibson is no plodder, he's not polished, but plodder is the wrong term. He is a hard working grunt player, that can be as mean and nasty as he is needed to be. When we play Geelong and need someone to get into Selwood's face, or he brings down Kelly's influence when we play GWS... I think the term plodder will be long forgotten.

Wouldn't you have liked to have that option on GF day? Hindsight and everything, but at least we could have stopped some of the bleeding in that 3rd term.

Stopper is only one of his roles, his running and tackling will be useful to us if we don't need a shut down.

I'm on the Gibson train. I'm sure he will muck up here and there, but I'm looking forward to seeing his positives shine throughout the season.

PS - Milera will be an important player for us this year, especially if he can get and stay fit. His first year was outstanding in terms of disposal effectiveness and his ability to find space in congestion ... but he has looked like he has been struggling with the physical toughness on game day. I hope that changes, I hope he is following Bryce Gibbs around and seeing what it takes to be elite.

I think the hard working player that gets the best out of himself is under-rated. I'll take that over the guy with potential that he never reaches ... especially in the window we are in.

Gibson is no plodder, he's not polished, but plodder is the wrong term. He is a hard working grunt player, that can be as mean and nasty as he is needed to be. When we play Geelong and need someone to get into Selwood's face, or he brings down Kelly's influence when we play GWS... I think the term plodder will be long forgotten.

Wouldn't you have liked to have that option on GF day? Hindsight and everything, but at least we could have stopped some of the bleeding in that 3rd term.

Stopper is only one of his roles, his running and tackling will be useful to us if we don't need a shut down.

I'm on the Gibson train. I'm sure he will muck up here and there, but I'm looking forward to seeing his positives shine throughout the season.

PS - Milera will be an important player for us this year, especially if he can get and stay fit. His first year was outstanding in terms of disposal effectiveness and his ability to find space in congestion ... but he has looked like he has been struggling with the physical toughness on game day. I hope that changes, I hope he is following Bryce Gibbs around and seeing what it takes to be elite.

The difference between playing Gibson now vs player on the rise is the upside. If we play Milera (or Gallucci as another example) in the first half of the season and they do go to a level above a mid-level player like Gibson then the team is better for it. If we have to bring Gibson in because the younger player didn't meet expectations (as was the case for Milera last season) then we don't lose anything. Gibson will only need 6-8 weeks of AFL footy to hit his best form and he may even be better for it by having a shorter, high intensity season, given his age.

Its a balance between developing young talent with potential (aka giving them the gold pass) and still being able to get the 4 points.

The difference between playing Gibson now vs player on the rise is the upside. If we play Milera (or Gallucci as another example) in the first half of the season and they do go to a level above a mid-level player like Gibson then the team is better for it. If we have to bring Gibson in because the younger player didn't meet expectations (as was the case for Milera last season) then we don't lose anything. Gibson will only need 6-8 weeks of AFL footy to hit his best form and he may even be better for it by having a shorter, high intensity season, given his age.

Its a balance between developing young talent with potential (aka giving them the gold pass) and still being able to get the 4 points.
Agreed, but that player that makes way for Milera should be a Mackay ... not Gibson.

Agreed, but that player that makes way for Milera should be a Mackay ... not Gibson.

Gibson vs Mackay will be interesting. Both are pretty poor ball users. Mackay under pressure and Gibson just generally. I have also been wanting a better player than Mackay in our best 22 for the past few seasons. But I will have to be convinced that Gibson is better. I am sure that I will be very quick to come around as soon as I see him putting in some really strong defensive work that we have been lacking. I was happy to keep playing Cameron, even when that defensive contribution was pretty much all he was giving to the team. But I really need to see how Gibson fits into the mix because wing/half-back is not really an area where you want a guy that can't use it, no matter how good his defensive work is. He will need to link up well on our forward chains at least as well as Mackay did on occasions. I think the point of difference will be if Pyke decides to use Gibson as a defensive mid. If he can do what he did against Sloane down in Tassie to the best opposition mid, then he puts himself ahead of both Mackay and Riley Knight. But lets see how it looks in a real game. I can't wait.

Smithers is my main concern. He's going to be so hard to replace.

I can't agree with the idea of rotating a bunch of mids and wingers through there as is our stated plan. I really wish we had a 2nd rounder to take Bonner in 2015. Westies boy too. Poor lad ending up at the swamp.

But in all seriousness its not a chop and change role. Defenders need to get to know each other.

My prediction is rotating Dougy, Dmac, Seed, Milera etc through there will go s**t and in the end we'll settle on one. Which I think we should've done from the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smithers is my main concern. He's going to be so hard to replace.

I can't agree with the idea of rotating a bunch of mids and wingers through there as is our stated plan. I really wish we had a 2nd rounder to take Bonner in 2015. Westies boy too. Poor lad ending up at the swamp.

But in all seriousness its not a chop and change role. Defenders need to get to know each other.

My prediction is rotating Dougy, Dmac, Seed, Milera etc through there will go s**t and in the end we'll settle on one. Which I think we should've done from the start.
I still believe that Gibbs is a better option than Smithers as the 7th defender.
I still believe Sloane is built for half-forward.
We have plenty of grunt for the midfield, and both those guys can rotate in there if needed.

I still believe that Gibbs is a better option than Smithers as the 7th defender.
I still believe Sloane is built for half-forward.
We have plenty of grunt for the midfield, and both those guys can rotate in there if needed.
Gibbs and Sloane offer more than just grunt in the midfield, they offer class. No way our midfield is as good without them in there.

I don't think our midfield would be better without them, I think our team will be better with them spending more time in other positions.

Some time, yes, as a rotation to give them a rest from midfield.

More time then midfield, absolutely not, if we are to go deep this year, we need Sloane/Gibbs killing it in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back