Your Game of the Year for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Played Skyrim thought it was brilliant.

Minus the "Wow! It's Batman!" and Arkham City is brutally overrated for mine. Love those styles of games but there have been much, much better made.

Love the NBA 2k12 series and most of the other annual sports titles that are highly rated such as FIFA.

Top 5 from what ive played

1. Uncharted 3
2. Portal 2
3. Mortal Kombat
4. Little Bigplanet 2
5. Sonic Generations

Honourable mentions to Battlefield 3, LA Noire (i enjoyed it for being something different umad?) Mario 3d land, Zelda OOT 3d & as much as it annoys me sometimes MW3

Getting Skyrim and Rayman Origins tomorrow so they could make the list

1. Uncharted 3 - one of the greatest/most complete/polished single player games ever created with great multiplayer and amazing co-op to boot. outstanding.

2. MW3 - i've played only very little of the awesome mission/survival co-op and havn't actually started the single player but the multiplayer is extraordinarily fast paced and is still the most responsive/tight controlling shooter on the market.
there are problems but it's still very addictive and i play it more than anything else.
like uncharted 3 it is a great complete package with the sp, co-op and mp. (i don't expect too much from the sp but i know it'll be fine)

3. Resistance 3 - while i don't rate the multiplayer whatsoever the single player ranks right up the top for me for fps alongside cod4 for it's epic creepy atmosphere and fantastic storytelling/gameplay.
the weapon upgrading system is amazing and the first to truly make me use different weapons for all different occasions to rank them all up and get the help from all their extra boosts ranking them up provides. excellent game.

4. Batman: Arkham City - great game but to me it didn't have the same feeling that arkham asylum gave me (i rank arkham asylum as one of my fav games ever). still absolutely brilliant though.

5. Outland - amazing sidescrolling type platformer which has some of the most amazingly responsive controls of any game ever released. the 60 frames per second are very noticeable and this is well worth a purchase for its price.

killzone3 was very good but just fails to make the list in what was a leaner year than normal for me...(even though i know i've forgotten other games i've played this year)

biggest disappointments of the year for me were LBP2, which failed to keep me coming back to 100% it like the first did.
InFamous 2, which while it clearly improved in some areas...just didn't feel as MUST PLAY as the first and last but not least....
****ing lag compensation!! for being one of, if not THE stupidest ****ing decision to ever be included in a game. almost gamebreaking to what is otherwise a fantastic game. :mad:

Skyrims the clear winner...
But out of all the others i'd have to go with Deus Ex or AC:R (a lot of bias towards AC franchise)
Might have to add SWTOR in there aswell only level 15 now but loving it so far.

Afl live anyone?

Has massive flaws, but the mechanics of play were bloody awesome.

I would hate/love this game, but id still play it next year if I could find the disc. I think my gf hid it because id yell at the tv as much as real footy. Shes not done that for any other game, so for me, its goty.

1. Uncharted 3- Best game by far this year and one of the all time great's in gaming history. I think it's now my favorite game franchise.
Can't wait for 4

2. Saints Row 3- I liked it just for fun factor

3. Batman- great game

4. Skyrim- Best RPG

5 Deus Ex- Best first person shooter

I haven't played as many games this year as previous years and that's only because there wasn't as many great titles to play with.

2011 has been average overall, game wise. Need to make more A+ titles for 2012.:thumbsu:

Battlefield 3.
Me being new to Battlefield 3 has just amazed me by the graphics, the concept and the physics.

LA Noire.
Never played it but watching the whole game on Youtube has been really good as it has a really good storyline and although the game could've been better in a lot of other ways it is probably the best crime/action game there is right now.

Skyrim: The Elder Scrolls V.
I only played Skyrim for the main storyline because I don't find exploring caves exciting but the concept of killing dragons and draining their soul is really good, the graphics could be improved on but that is just personal opinion.

Those are my 3 top games of the year, from best to 3rd best.

The disappointment of the year has to be MW3. The matchmaking is just rubbish and I was looking forward to them stepping up the ante even though most of their original staff left the company.

Terraria. The sheer number of hours that can be sucked up by such a deceptively simple concept is frightening.

Closely followed by Football Manager 2012, which is the best in the series - and that's saying something. All the new features are finally properly fleshed out and working as originally planned.

1. Skyrim
2. Dead Space 2

These titles are killer. Most other games I bought were good without being great.

Yet to play Unchartered 3 or Skyward Sword, which it seems they are in tge elite category.

Whomb speaks very highly highly of FIFA 12 too, with many many hours of longevity, so I'd assume that would get a few noms, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting Skyrim and Rayman Origins tomorrow so they could make the list

Have changed my mind after playing these 2 revised list is

1. Skyrim - Just so much depth, in a world full of 5-6 hour campaigns its good to have a game that i can put hundreds of hours into, will be playing this long into next year and with so many class combinations will be starting another character once I've finished the main quest line

2. Uncharted 3 - Its Naughty Dog so you know its gonna be quality, not as large of a leap graphically and technically as from Uncharted 1 to 2 but looks brilliant, plays well and has some of the best set pieces in any game.

3. Rayman Origins - Apparently this game hasnt sold well......i have lost all faith in the gaming community if true :(. Artistically one of the best looking games I've ever played, plays just like the original Rayman with plenty of re-playability having plenty of collectibles. Best 2d platformer ive played for a long time, even more enjoyable than DKC Returns and New Super Mario Bros.

4. Portal 2 - I shouldnt need to describe this game and what makes it awesome, just buy it :D

5. Mortal Kombat - Before this i had gone off fighters, maybe it was the fact that it was banned here that made me want it so much but with an in depth story mode, challenge tower, plenty of collectibles, plenty of different combo chains and of course the over the top fatalities, puts this game over any other fighter released over the last few years.

Honourable mentions to BF3, MW3, Sonic Generations, LA Noire, Little BigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Dead Space 2, Mario Kart 7, Mario 3d Land & Zelda OOT 3d

Damn good year for gaming if you ask me

Surprised at the lack of Skyward Sword love in here.

Wouldve been on mine but i got sick of waiting for good games to come out so i sold my Wii

Not worth keeping just for first party Nintendo titles because everything else was shovelware at best

3. Rayman Origins - Apparently this game hasnt sold well......i have lost all faith in the gaming community if true :(. Artistically one of the best looking games I've ever played, plays just like the original Rayman with plenty of re-playability having plenty of collectibles. Best 2d platformer ive played for a long time, even more enjoyable than DKC Returns and New Super Mario Bros.

this game is definitely on my to get list.

i just havn't bothered so far since mw3 eats up my gaming time since release and the almost instant price drop of this game is inevitable for a title which stuff all people know about.

for others that havn't seen this baby in motion have a view of this.....

[YOUTUBE]g1gpyeh6kOc[/YOUTUBE]

absolutely freakon gorgeous and a must own title imo...especially if you grew up playing the older games.

1) Skyrim... Without a doubt.
2) NBA 2K12... But I'm a Bball fan.
3) MW3... due to popularity.
4) Forza4... Best racing game on the market.

Don't own/play a PS3 so can't comment on their exclusive titles.

That's why FPS games are basically RPGs now... With XP, character levels, customized gear, weapon 'enchants' ... sorry attachments, and perks.

If it weren't for its RPG elements MW3 and BF3 would just be shooting galleries.
Great post.:thumbsu:

I am not a huge fan of RPG games, they can often just be too slow and clunky for my liking. But it's VERY hard to argue how much of an impact they've had in the gaming world, especially recently with FPS's.

They've also become a lot more playable now too. Mass Effect has taken on the dual role of being both strong at the TPS elements with the RPG stuff.

And while Skyrim isn't necessarily fantastic at the FPAction it's definitely improved exponentially over the years from it's previous Elder Scrolls compatriots.

So are you being serious yet, or are you just a blatant idiot?

Don't make him answer that mate, morell isn't great with questions....too many RPG elements to them.

Besides, Morell's not the only one. I'm yet to meet a single teenage MW2.5 fangirl who isn't unnerved by the thought of having to use their brain for a game such as an RPG, rather than just mindlessly running around spraying and praying in a FPS.

For mine, I haven't played a lot of games this year such as Batman AC, Skyrim, Portal 2 and a few others, but from what I have played.

1. Uncharted 3 - Have only just started really, but it's already the best game I've played this year. Just a gorgeous game with such great pacing and awesome action.

2. Battlefield 3 - This game on the PC with 64 players would be insane. Unfortunately I only own it on the 360 for now but even with only 24 players it's an absolute blast and is by far (extremely far) the most realistic war-based multiplayer FPS out there today. Have hardly touched the single player and don't really feel the need to, after all, BF has always been a MP first game. If I owned this on PC, I probably would have given it the number one spot.

3. Hrmmmmm....will give it to L.A Noire, but that's really just because I've really got to get stuck into some of these other top contenders such as Skyrim, Batman AC, Infamous 2 and even FIFA 12. Too much work, not enough play :(. Anyway, L.A Noire isn't great, but I did have a fair bit of fun with it. Repetitive at times? Sure. Easy at times? Yep, but there really wasn't too much else like it this year (save for CSI.....meh) and for what it was, I think even when I do get around to all these other great titles, L.A Noire will still make my top 5-7 games for 2011.

Biggest disappointment for mine is easily MW2.5 - and for that reason. Nothing changed, but people still lap it up like a junkie at a crack house. Crazy! Being a massive fan of the last 3 COD games and putting well over 100 hours into them collectively, this latest installment is nothing but a piss take when compared to the improvements made from BC2 to BF3. Each to his own though :)

2. Battlefield 3 - This game on the PC with 64 players would be insane. Unfortunately I only own it on the 360 for now but even with only 24 players it's an absolute blast and is by far (extremely far) the most realistic war-based multiplayer FPS out there today. Have hardly touched the single player and don't really feel the need to, after all, BF has always been a MP first game. If I owned this on PC, I probably would have given it the number one spot.

64 player games aren't all they're cracked up to be and are a bit shitty on smaller maps. Still looks and controls a hell of a lot better on PC than on console. This coming from a fan of console FPS controls. Don't know if they've improved but on PS3 at least there was a bit of input lag and disproportionate aim movements.

Yeah Jabso, see what your saying, and your probably right on some of the smaller maps like Grand Bazaar and Operation Metro, but from my recollection of the hundreds of hours I spent playing 64 player BF2 and BF2142, most of the maps on BF3 would be kick ass with 64 players. Granted those other BF games were PC only titles though...

Still, my biggest gripe with BF3 is simply that there just isn't enough players on console (which is understandable though), and thus the action can be scarce at times. So whether it be 64, 48 or 32 players, either way, for mine it's better than only 24 in the long run.

1)Skyrim (PC) - Visually amazing, you get trapped in the gaming experience, shame I don't have the time to dedicate too completing it and the UI is still rubbish after all these years. I have to play this on easy because I am never prepared for combat.

2) Witcher 2 (PC)– Brilliant combat, story line isn't always that crash hot. Can frustrate at times but is totally rewarding like Skyrim, if you put the time in. Play this at 50-60 fps on Ultra, it doesn't attempt photo realism but it's organic textured environmental details put Skyrim to shame, boss fights are unreal.

3) Battlefield 3 (PC) – Not the best single player campaign, I haven’t played co-op. It's Multilayer is extensive, fun and damn competitive. Return to Karkand only improves upon the experience. Honestly I prefer Bad Company 2 universally, as an experience this game doesn't have the charm or the lasting appeal of that game. It is however simply the best FPS ever made on a scale and technical basis. I still do double takes at the visuals in this game.

4) Uncharted 3 (PS3) – Storyline, Visuals and solid game play. Just fun from start to finish and I didn't play anything else while I played this. I didn't go into multi-player. Let's hope Uncharted 4 is a launch title for the PS4.

5) LA Noire (PS3) – Brilliant story line, I became addicted. It wasn't hard to follow clues and It wasn't too predictable either. Combat wasn't a massive part of the game, I would have liked more control instead of being forced down one single path. Apart from that, I loved this game and think it's probably more revolutionary than Heavy Rain.

HM:
AC:R – Proven formula but it's becoming predictable.
Dead Space 2 – Not a fan of the story but he game play is sweet.
Killzone 3 – the opposite of KZ2. Excellent and much single player campaign, lame multilayer experience that went backwards.

DHM:
Dues Ex: HR – Story line is excellent and the game play is good, but it's technically poor. Glitches and Bugs, with poorly optimised graphics. I struggled to get through it, not because I wasn't interested but because it didn't let me.
MW3 - It's addictive. But it's technically rubbish and totally recycled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back