Your most embarrassing moment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure I have others but in light of the Tom Lynch debacle, I'm reminded of playing a season of footy where I was in and out of the seniors and had been called up for the first time in a few weeks. So I'm keen to give a good account of myself, make it hard to leave me out next week etc. When I got to the ground, I had a look in my bag and noticed that I hadn't packed anything. None of my kit. Mercifully my boots and mouthguard were there and I think I had suitable underwear on thankfully (hadn't gone with the satin Loony Tunes boxer shorts), but as for jumper, shorts, socks... nada. And though it was a home game, there was probably no way I'd make it home and back for the start of the game in time, let alone in time for the pre-game meeting etc.

So I had to sheepishly admit to the coach and team manager what had happened and got some spare kit, complete with a hastily taped on #11. I can't even remember if I played again the following week, but I'll never forget the feeling when I unzipped my bag.

Along similar lines, my first job was as a boundary umpire for the local league, which was easy work and good money for a year 7. Anyway, I remember coming out from the rooms for the third quarter one game and I forgot to bring my whistle, not realising my blunder until it was far too late to do anything about it. The amazing thing was that somehow, the ball didn't cross my line for the whole quarter and I was able to run back and retrieve the whistle for the last quarter. I suppose it wasn't technically embarrassing as due to circumstances people didn't realise, but standing on the edge of the centre square for the bounce, looking down at my hand and seeing nothing there was that same sinking "Oh s**t..." feeling when you know you've stuffed something up and you can't even think about what to do to salvage the situation.

I'm sure I have others but in light of the Tom Lynch debacle, I'm reminded of playing a season of footy where I was in and out of the seniors and had been called up for the first time in a few weeks. So I'm keen to give a good account of myself, make it hard to leave me out next week etc. When I got to the ground, I had a look in my bag and noticed that I hadn't packed anything. None of my kit. Mercifully my boots and mouthguard were there and I think I had suitable underwear on thankfully (hadn't gone with the satin Loony Tunes boxer shorts), but as for jumper, shorts, socks... nada. And though it was a home game, there was probably no way I'd make it home and back for the start of the game in time, let alone in time for the pre-game meeting etc.

So I had to sheepishly admit to the coach and team manager what had happened and got some spare kit, complete with a hastily taped on #11. I can't even remember if I played again the following week, but I'll never forget the feeling when I unzipped my bag.

Along similar lines, my first job was as a boundary umpire for the local league, which was easy work and good money for a year 7. Anyway, I remember coming out from the rooms for the third quarter one game and I forgot to bring my whistle, not realising my blunder until it was far too late to do anything about it. The amazing thing was that somehow, the ball didn't cross my line for the whole quarter and I was able to run back and retrieve the whistle for the last quarter. I suppose it wasn't technically embarrassing as due to circumstances people didn't realise, but standing on the edge of the centre square for the bounce, looking down at my hand and seeing nothing there was that same sinking "Oh s**t..." feeling when you know you've stuffed something up and you can't even think about what to do to salvage the situation.
I was warming up for a game once running on the spot on that shiny concrete when my leg slipped and I strained my hamstring, never one to let injury get in the way of demonstrating my lack of ability I limped on to the field only to find myself standing AFLNT Hall of Famer Eddie Fry then about five years retired from league footy. I could barely run and he had more talent in him than I had in my little toe. I soldiered on for about ten minutes before calling it an afternoon.

My sister-in-law and her partner took their kids to the NT for a holiday, see Uluru and that sort of stuff. They like to 4wd everywhere so took the long route up from Victoria.
Stopping in many isolated Aboriginal townships during their trip, once in a roadside store where the aborigines were very dark skinned, they were picking up supplies. The only white people in town. Her little boy, around 4 at the time suddenly made a bolt to hide behind his mum loudly screaming "mummy, shadows!".
The looks on the locals faces ensured they basically dropped everything and got out of there very quickly

I might have told this on here before, but I started a new job 4 years ago (still here) and went to our APAC meet up. Lot of Asians (obviously) and handing out business cards etc. When handing business cards to an Asian the custom is to do it with two hands and bow slightly so I was doing this to everyone, they usually appreciate it.

Anyway went up to the product manager, did the thing, he looks puzzled and goes "Hey man I'm Henry" in the most full on New York accent I've ever heard and just grabbed the card in one hand! I was mortified, wasn't sure if it was racist or not, new job and trying to impress etc etc, funny in hindsight but jeez cringeful at the time.

Got off a train in Penang and was busting for a piss.I ask some random where the toilet was and he indicates a room,I go charging in there to be shot daggers by 20 pairs of eyes,it was a Muslim prayer room.Raised my hands up saying sorry and backed out quick smart.
In hindsight I probably should've twigged as I walked over all the thongs and shoes on the way in.
Still dirty on the dude who directed me there.
Must be that zany Malaysian sense of humour.

This is my 2nd most embarrassing moment, 1st posted earlier, but my first proper job after uni was in a laboratory, and one day the boss was showing a group of Japanese investors through the lab, I had to get something from under a bench and just as I bent over with the visitors about 3 meters away the loudest fart i probably ever did slipped from my arse. I didnt bother looking up, just bolted but the boss let me know the investors were not impressed and i was known as fartarse for the rest of my stay at that job (only a few months thank god)

Nearly had an embarrassing moment, one of the blokes in the office has a jacket and tie hanging on his office handle. I said to one of the women in the office "oh old mate must have a job interview today hey?" "Oh yeah he's got a funeral today", thank fu** I didn't say it to him ha ha

That was always my back-of-mind go to if I actually had an interview and some knob asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man im so ******* glad i dont have to go to athletics carnivals no more
I went to Essendon Grammar. We were crap at sports and always finished last of the eight schools in the comp. So after each event the announcer would read out " First Assumption [or whatever] ....... and Eighth Essendon'. We would all join in at the the end and chant 'And EIGHTH ..... ESSENDON'. Teachers didn't approve of that or us cheering when our entry in the walking event came in a lap after the second last walker.

I don't know if I could share my most embarrassing moments, but one was when I was in uni and tried to start up a conversation with a guy in my year who I saw was from Moe. Never having heard anyone actually talk about Moe, I didn't know how it was pronounced and said to him 'A lot of good footballers come from MO'. Bit embarrassing when he explained it is 'Mo-ee' :$

Lucicrous display :$

I was warming up for a game once running on the spot on that shiny concrete when my leg slipped and I strained my hamstring, never one to let injury get in the way of demonstrating my lack of ability I limped on to the field only to find myself standing AFLNT Hall of Famer Eddie Fry then about five years retired from league footy. I could barely run and he had more talent in him than I had in my little toe. I soldiered on for about ten minutes before calling it an afternoon.
Is your little toe very talented?

No footy team was ever improved by having me turn out for them, that I played nearly forty games was an indictment on the club.
Better than me, I played just one senior game when they were loading the ressies with seniors so they would make the finals
:p

Forgot to say this, but I had an interview last week with HR of a prospective company, her surname was “Wang”. Anyway at the end (went well) I said “ok thanks Wang!… uh I mean *real name*”

What a dumb campaigner I am, I’m through to the next stage though so hasn’t cost me ha ha

Wang pics plz

Going all the way to work on the tube in London with my tie on the outside of my collar rather than under it was quite embarrassing, it wasn't until I got to work that my boss pointed it out to me, of course no one on the tube pointed it out as no one talks to strangers regardless of how stupid they look.

A mate of mine at high school was in the 100m race at an interschool sports carnival and about halfway down the track he started to lose his balance and ended up doing a full length dive onto the running track. There was a whole grandstand full of schoolkids all pissing themselves laughing when it happened, he said afterwards that was more painful than the grazes he got on his hands and knees.

Interschool swimming carnival. My school we r all from the coast so swim/swam and train in the ocean. The other 5 schools were all inland schools n train in pools which are harder/less bouyant to swim in. I got talked into competing in the 50m butterfly coz our schools gets points just for entering/coming last.Starters gun went. I tried for 20 metres. No idea what i was doing. Flopped around for a bit then just breast stroked til i could stand and i walked to the end of the pool in the water while hundreds of students and parents pointed and laughed. I started off being embarrased then i was just pissed off that i got put in that situation. Over it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interschool swimming carnival. My school we r all from the coast so swim/swam and train in the ocean. The other 5 schools were all inland schools n train in pools which are harder/less bouyant to swim in. I got talked into competing in the 50m butterfly coz our schools gets points just for entering/coming last.Starters gun went. I tried for 20 metres. No idea what i was doing. Flopped around for a bit then just breast stroked til i could stand and i walked to the end of the pool in the water while hundreds of students and parents pointed and laughed. I started off being embarrased then i was just pissed off that i got put in that situation. Over it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one of my mates did something similar at a school swimming carnival, there were spots available in the 50m butterfly as so few people could do it properly so he decided to have a go at it despite being no good at it. He did a few strokes of it and then paddled down to the shallow end where he leapt up off the bottom of the pool like he was doing butterfly but he wasn't fooling anyone, needless to say he finished last but it was hilarious to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back