Your rights and wrongs of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The general lack of forwards and ruck forward types this year absolutely stunk for mine, made me take risks/players I wasn't sure on in midfield and up forward and I never fully recovered after they stunk it up

The last year we had a tough starting year down back was 2015 when Picken, Shaw and Hodge were miles above the rest (particularly Hodge whenever he wasn't being a thug getting himself suspended), it seems to be the easiest position to get right year on year out.

Looking forward to seeing the likes of Sloane, Shuey, Zerrett, Hanners etc all cheap in midfield.
As will Scully and Setterfield from GWS. Greene and Daniher will be value forward picks next year as well.

Last edited:
Wrongs: I payed zero attention to the byes with my initial team or with my early trades which resulted in fielding only 12 starters in Rd13. Massive balls up on my part, but I'd only decided to play DT again at the last minute and clearly didn't put enough time or thought into it. That bye oversight cost me 500+ points and another top50 finish. Still reasonably happy with my season though.

Wrongs: I payed zero attention to the byes with my initial team or with my early trades which resulted in fielding only 12 starters in Rd13. Massive balls up on my part, but I'd only decided to play DT again at the last minute and clearly didn't put enough time or thought into it. That bye oversight cost me 500+ points and another top50 finish. Still reasonably happy with my season though.
Round 13 was my nemesis as well however holding firm with my team structure paid dividends in the end.

Underpriced premiums can be a bit hit and miss

This year there was Parker, Neale, Cripps, Conilgio, Steven, Fyfe, Selwood who were all considered good value and not all turned out well.
Cripps
Cogs
Jelwood
Neale

All been decent to reasonable

Steven and Parker have largely gone around their average, but have frustrated owners

Fyfe was great until he got injured, fails durability list

Oh boy, imagine Greene at a tempting price

The bloke is just a head case though for fantasy football coaches, suspension + injury prone in one
I have always said I wouldn't have him in my team because he is just a little sniper. But at the price he will be next year you would have no option but to take him at the start. Not sure he would still be in the team come end of year.

I have always said I wouldn't have him in my team because he is just a little sniper. But at the price he will be next year you would have no option but to take him at the start. Not sure he would still be in the team come end of year.
If he makes cash and doesn't have an in game injury then he could be ok

Nothing worse than a first quarter injury/concussion score, hard to recover your score from for the week carrying a sub 40

One thing I have found about going for these cheaper types is that you end up with a lot of borderline types at D6, M8, F6 towards the end of the year. With 30 trades, it might be better starting with an extra rookie or 2 but starting with more players you expect to be elite in their position.

Then you end up balancing that against having premium priced players start slowly (Merrett this year) losing a tonne of cash.

One thing I have found about going for these cheaper types is that you end up with a lot of borderline types at D6, M8, F6 towards the end of the year. With 30 trades, it might be better starting with an extra rookie or 2 but starting with more players you expect to be elite in their position.

Then you end up balancing that against having premium priced players start slowly (Merrett this year) losing a tonne of cash.
Last year there were a number of mid priced players who were very good selections. This year has had Cripps, Coniglio, Beams, McLean and Brayshaw. There's nothing wrong with having some mid priced players in your initial squad. It's just a matter of getting the right ones.

So hard to pick the best players in midfield though, even the rucks, quite often set and forget you may only get the 3rd and 4th best ruck instead of 1 and 2

Defence is easily the best position to get it right in imo, sometimes the forwards, but all depends on Campaigner Datas listing of certain players positions normally

Midpricers in midfield seem to be the greatest chance of reward, like Steven and Armitage in 2015 being among the top mids that year, plenty of value types as you mentioned previously for this year with varying degrees of success, plus if they average 95-100 they're nearly keepers providing we have strong M1-6 types, the 2-3 punts rounding out say M7-9

Midpricers in midfield seem to be the greatest chance of reward, like Steven and Armitage in 2015 being among the top mids that year, plenty of value types as you mentioned previously for this year with varying degrees of success, plus if they average 95-100 they're nearly keepers providing we have strong M1-6 types, the 2-3 punts rounding out say M7-9

Taylor Adams would have been an excellent DT mid-priced pick-up in Rd18 for 589k, he's averaged 117 since then. I traded him in that week in AF, spewing I didn't do likewise in DT.

Last edited:
Taylor Adams would have been an excellent DT mid-priced pick-up in Rd18 for 589k, he's averaged 117 since then. I traded him in that week in AF, spewing I didn't do likewise in DT.
Lock him in for next year to bounce back if you can handle the possible injuries and suspensions too (Toby Greene lite is Adams imo)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back