Zacc Ledin - Geelong Falcons

Remove this Banner Ad

toot_toot

Debutant
Aug 28, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
For those that don't know much about him, Zac played for the Falcons as a 17 year old and came 5th in the best and fairest from 14 games.

As an 18 year old (2008), Zacc had his first half of his season ruined by injury - surgery on his shoulder at the start of the year - and he only managed 11 games. He was invited to the Draft Camp but was not selected in any of the drafts.

In 2009 he is again playing with the Falcons under the 19 year old rule which has been a huge success for Geelong. He is absolutely dominating in a brilliant team. Here are his stats which are quite amazing...

Rd 1 Vs Bendigo // 11 Kicks. 11 Handballs. 22 Possessions. 2nd Best.
Rd 2 Vs Gippsland // 10 Kicks. 8 Handballs. 18 Possessions.
Rd 3 Vs Murray // 6 Kicks. 19 Handballs. 25 Possessions. 3rd Best.
Rd 4 Vs Sandringham // 12 Kicks. 16 Handballs. 28 Possessions.
Rd 5 Vs Northern // 9 Kicks. 19 Handballs. 28 Possessions.
Rd 6 Vs Calder // 16 Kicks. 19 Handballs. 35 Possessions. 1st Best.
Rd 7 Vs Oakleigh // 6 Kicks. 19 Handballs. 25 Possessions. 3rd Best.
Rd 8 Vs North Ballarat // 14 Kicks. 20 Handballs. 34 Possessions. 2nd Best.
Rd 9 Vs Bendigo // 8 Kicks. 17 Handballs. 25 Possessions. 1st Best.
Rd 10 Vs Gippsland // 17 Kicks. 25 Handballs. 42 Possessions. 2nd Best.

This kid is a star. To consistently average such large numbers is unbelieveable. If he isn't to be picked up in this years draft, there is no point having the under 19 rule in teh TAC Cup. He is a perfect candidate and one of the best players in the comp.

Good Call? Bad Call?

I think its a good call but dont be fooled by the stats. Guys like Rockefeller, Batsanis, Sewell, Weadon have all been examples of big stat getters who werent highly rated on Draft Day. In saying all that I dont have much doubt he will go. I think I had him going last year in my mock. I was surprised he didnt get selected post being invited to DC so you have to take away that somethingn happenned there with his testing etc. Thats the only worry I can see. You see a lot of mids develop that bit later in the west, Broughton the latest example and I sometimes think most clubs on the east coast almost make a decision on some of these kids to early. Anthony will be the next one - you watch what happens when he comes thru - he is a ball magnet.

Notwithstanding been v good this year and Turner is a wrap for him as well.

I think its a good call but dont be fooled by the stats. Guys like Rockefeller, Batsanis, Sewell, Weadon have all been examples of big stat getters who werent highly rated on Draft Day. .

Good call....I watched Van Unen from Oakleigh get 42 touches on the weekend with most of them being useless.

Considering how much the Falcons pushed his case last year, I was slightly surprised no one snapped him up last year.

He's been good this year, and whilst he's not the most skillful bloke or the quicket bloke going round, he's not the worst either.

I think there's a good chance he'll be on an AFL list next year, whether that's a rookie list or a senior list is hard to say.

Been a pretty good year for 19 year olds this year, I'd say Jonno Nash, Luke McDonald and Levi Casboult would all have pushed their case.

Considering how much the Falcons pushed his case last year, I was slightly surprised no one snapped him up last year.

He's been good this year, and whilst he's not the most skillful bloke or the quicket bloke going round, he's not the worst either.

I think there's a good chance he'll be on an AFL list next year, whether that's a rookie list or a senior list is hard to say.

Been a pretty good year for 19 year olds this year, I'd say Jonno Nash, Luke McDonald and Levi Casboult would all have pushed their case.

True about all the 19 year old boys. They have certainly been in the better TAC Cup players this year.

add Jordan Dessent from Gippsland to the list of the performing 19 year olds as well. He's been sensational for Gippy. Was a real stopper/one on one defender last year and now has developed an attacking side to his game from down back. Playing a similar role to what Sam Fisher did earlier this season when St.Kilda were without a lot of Key Backs and Fish had to play a lot deeper.

I am best mates with his older brother and he only lives down the road from me, he should of got drafted as a 17 yr old there was interest from clubs, but as it turned out he was 3 days to young to be drafted. If he wasnt injured last year he would of surely gone. I reckon whoever picks him up this year will get a bargain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back