Roast Buddy umpires - is there anything we can do

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched the boys live for the first time this year and paid special attention to buddy all day. Let me start by saying that the tv does not do his treatment justice.

He is scragged constantly all day, locked up, held, tackled without the ball and the umpires do nothing. This only intensifies the issue because opposition see that they can get away with it and don't even try to conceal their cheating ways.

The cherry on top today was when franklin marked it in the pocket, even though schofield had his back to the ball, arms around franklin........and free kick to schofield.if that were any other player in the league, that would be buddy's mark or free 99.9 times out of 100.

Can and should the swans supply video footage of his treatment every game to the afl and ask for a please explain. Maybe bring some spotlight to the blatant cheating that goes on

No there is nothing we can do, Buddy needs to get on his bike and lead! that was probably one of the worst decisions of the season so far.

We tried it with Hall other clubs have tried it as well its a waste of time.
If he lead more he would be more likely to get the frees he deserves. When Tippet is there, he leads a lot more

Regardless of it meaning nothing and no official action would be taken you do the whole public song and dance with video evidence of the scragging to put it out there.

On a subconscious level it might, maybe, make some small difference. At least it also puts it on the home ground supporter agenda, well makes it point 1 of the list, so they will be vocal whenever it goes near him.

Worth the effort in my opinion.

He was absolutely raped today. I counted 3 times where he was actually tackled to the ground off the ball by MacKenzie right in front of the umpire and nothing was done. I was actually pretty impressed with Franklin's game though. His work rate was right up and he did a fair bit off the ball and had something like 8 or 9 tackles I think. Things weren't going his way but he continued to work hard and do what he could for the team. Tick :)

Regardless of it meaning nothing and no official action would be taken you do the whole public song and dance with video evidence of the scragging to put it out there.

On a subconscious level it might, maybe, make some small difference. At least it also puts it on the home ground supporter agenda, well makes it point 1 of the list, so they will be vocal whenever it goes near him.

Worth the effort in my opinion.

Agree, even if the all do nothing, like you said it will be made public and put the umpires under pressure. It's getting beyond a joke.

Then again the afl may do something, he is the biggest draw in the game and they don't want him being nullified too easily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic, if we're lucky the Swans will put in a "please explain" to the umpires and he'll see a slight improvement for a week or two. Unfortunately things will then return to 'normal'.

Indeed I do, my friend. And you're correct, it is worrying, I wonder if he's in line for some surgery at the end of the season and they're desperately trying to ease him through the remainder of the season.

He did only just have surgery on the knee a month ago. LRT had the same surgery last year and struggled to get back missing weeks. I have had the same op and there is no way I would have been back in 2 weeks like Tippo was. He'll play next week and be fine for the rest of the year I reckon. Not to worry

Article on AFL.com

Good.

That's the start. Next the full press from the Prez and get some players on 360 etc to drive it.

Since we are now clear top of the table Gerard and company would love a "chat" to one of the senior players who can then bring it up in friendly conversation etc.

The worst part about this is the man is not being allowed to compete. He is in a ******* full nelson every time the ball comes into his ******* postcode. It is disgraceful. Without getting to far off topic the game and its rules and the way they are being administered is really at a stage where it is really hard to enjoy this great game we all love. If Essendon had lost that game last night when that free kick was not payed against Monfries for dropping the ball in the square I don't think I could ever have watched another game. Dramatic maybe ? But Disgraceful none the less.

He did only just have surgery on the knee a month ago. LRT had the same surgery last year and struggled to get back missing weeks. I have had the same op and there is no way I would have been back in 2 weeks like Tippo was. He'll play next week and be fine for the rest of the year I reckon. Not to worry

Does that mean he was rushed back? or AFL players have access to start of the art recovery facilities?

To be honest im slightly offended by people using the term 'Raped' My Sister in law was raped and it doesnt compare to a guy on a footy field not getting a free kick. I agree that Buddy gets the raw end of the decisions, so does alot of other forwards past and present. Quite frankly there is nothing anyone can do, we supporters need to accept that this will happen and hope he and the club come up with some strategies to minimise this impacting his game. Its not fair but nothing we can do.

Footage to the umpiring department wont help.

Does that mean he was rushed back? or AFL players have access to start of the art recovery facilities?

I think it's one of those things that depends on the person. It's only minor keyhole surgery and you can walk out of hospital. I had a huge amount of bruising, swelling and scar tissue after mine and didn't play sport for 6 weeks. When I did go back and play, it felt fine and then a couple of weeks later was a bit sore which is obviously what Tippo is experiencing. I don't necessarily think he came back too early. He might of had very little bruising and swelling and no doubt he looked after it better than I would of and had a more professional rehab program than I did. I have no doubt he'll play next week and be fine....unless he does something else!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back