Will Langford - Have I been living under a rock?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look back at players who have cut us up when we more or less give up like we did tonight. No big deal. Didn't see him much in the first half when hawthorn had to earn their touches. He was taking uncontested marks in the forward 50... He basically wanted the ball more than anyone else did, so he got it.

Was literally a game of 2 halves. We simply had no one willing to match the intensity of the Hawks, just like they didn't last week when Freo turned the screws.

Hawks were facing 2 losses to 2 top 4 sides in consecutive weeks, and the chance to finish 4th. Geelong on 7 game winning streak, already cemented in top 3. The team who wanted it more won it, as most predicted.

Nah I predicted them to win on the basis they're a better team.

Played well on Saturday night, but I don't see "star in the making" coming from him. Just looks like a good ordinary midfielder, a la teammate Liam Shiels.
Fair comment. Shiels has disappointed me to an extent, he hasn't really improved since his breakthrough year in 2011. Langers on the other hand is improving by the week, however I don't think he'll ever get to an A-Grade level.

When Swan was the same age as Langford is now (2006), he polled 11 votes in the Brownlow, and then went on to poll 20 the next year. I think he had a bit more to him than Langford does now.

What exactly is it that he has more of than Langford at the same age? Genuine question to. Swanny was an average kick with questions on his motor and work ethic, the one thing he could well though is find the footy. Langers has speed to burn and a big motor and seems to find the footy also, like Swanny his field kicking is questionable.

Not a great comparison and Swanny is a freak, I'm more trying to look at it objectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like he's a spud who's in really good touch.

I don't think he's anything special and IMO wouldn't get a kick in a bottom 8 side.

He played well last night, though.

I feel like he's a spud who's in really good touch.

I don't think he's anything special and IMO wouldn't get a kick in a bottom 8 side.

He played well last night, though.

Fair call. Because I'm sure a spud could average 20 or more disposals in 5 of his last 6 games let alone fight his way into a side (14 or so games so far) that is the reigning premier and shooting for a hat trick Grand Final appearances in succession (with an outside chance, however remote, at achieving the rare distinction of a hat trick of minor premierships)

He'd struggle to get a kick in the legendary Footscray midfield though :thumbsu:

I may be alone here and it makes absolutely no difference at all but I think it's a shame he wasn't selected under the father son rule.

It seems to me that the media don't really make much of the fact that he is the son of Chris Langford, who as far as fathers with sons playing in the AFL today is right up there from his own playing days.

Glad he played his best game of the year when it didn't really matter :)

. . . . can now lock him in (v Catters) for the usual negating role of 18 possies, 0.5 assists, 0.1 goals & 1 free against, which he's been good for this year.

The kids averaging 19 touches and 4 tackles a game in his first season of senior footy, as a 21/22 year old I think he's tracking along nicely. Will only improve from here on in.

Fair call. Because I'm sure a spud could average 20 or more disposals in 5 of his last 6 games let alone fight his way into a side (14 or so games so far) that is the reigning premier and shooting for a hat trick Grand Final appearances in succession (with an outside chance, however remote, at achieving the rare distinction of a hat trick of minor premierships)

He'd struggle to get a kick in the legendary Footscray midfield though :thumbsu:
Thank you for diverting the attention of him and beating Hawthorn's drum instead :rolleyes:.

I'll stick to my guns, I don't think he's that good and I believe that he's in a freak purple patch. I don't think it will last much longer.

And yes seeing you brought it up, your right, he'd be terrible at the doggies. We don't have anywhere the quality that he has around him at Hawthorn, which I think is the big reason as to why he's getting a kick at the moment.

Glad he played his best game of the year when it didn't really matter :)

Helped lock in a top 4 spot for Hawks which was not certain until after last night. From Geelong's perspective, you might have other ideas on the 'really matter' if you get upset by Brisbane next week , and end up having to play Sydney in Sydney in the first week of finals. I seem to recall you not getting within 100 points of them last time you played up there?

. . . . can now lock him in (v Catters) for the usual negating role of 18 possies, 0.5 assists, 0.1 goals & 1 free against, which he's been good for this year.

Yes, excellent stats for a tagger! Thats 18.9 possies, so we'll be generous and round up to 19, only one less possessions a game than the finger twirling fool he tagged on Saturday night. I'm sure Motlop was happy with his 15 while his tagger ran riot? I suppose Motlop's 1 tackle helped make up for not getting his hands on the ball much?

When Swan was the same age as Langford is now (2006), he polled 11 votes in the Brownlow, and then went on to poll 20 the next year. I think he had a bit more to him than Langford does now.

I wouldn't be comparing Langford to Swan, but it is harsh to use the 'same age' comparison given he's been kept in cotton wool at Box Hill, and this is his first proper year in the seniors (1 game last year). Swan got 0 brownlow votes in his first 3 years in the seniors (I'll be generous and say first 2 years, given the first year of seniors he only played 3 games). Swan had 30 AFL games going into the first season where he polled votes, Langford had 1 coming into this year, and I think he'd be unlucky not to get votes from Saturday, so in terms of games played he's tracking ahead of Swan right now :) (not being too serious on the last point, I'd be happy if Langford ends up being half the player Swan was at his peak).

I wouldn't be comparing Langford to Swan, but it is harsh to use the 'same age' comparison given he's been kept in cotton wool at Box Hill, and this is his first proper year in the seniors (1 game last year). Swan got 0 brownlow votes in his first 3 years in the seniors (I'll be generous and say first 2 years, given the first year of seniors he only played 3 games). Swan had 30 AFL games going into the first season where he polled votes, Langford had 1 coming into this year, and I think he'd be unlucky not to get votes from Saturday, so in terms of games played he's tracking ahead of Swan right now :) (not being too serious on the last point, I'd be happy if Langford ends up being half the player Swan was at his peak).

Stop making sense, unless you want to be crucified.

I may be alone here and it makes absolutely no difference at all but I think it's a shame he wasn't selected under the father son rule.

It seems to me that the media don't really make much of the fact that he is the son of Chris Langford, who as far as fathers with sons playing in the AFL today is right up there from his own playing days.
We had the option of taking him with a F/S Pick which sydney were really into him, or taking him as a rookie in the NSW Scholarship program, Which sydney were also courting him pretty hard. It would of been pretty sad to see him go somewhere else, that image of his dad ripping his shirt off and holding the hawks jumper just before the merger is pretty iconic for hawthorns history.

I hope he's half as good as his dad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back