2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time I went to Gabba for footy ... There was a dog track there ... :)

(Pre bears days ... A game was scheduled there and I was on holidays up there!)

Ha. I saw some cricket there with the dog track still in many years ago. I actually prefer it as a cricket venue. Bears played at Carrara back in the early days though, I wasn't aware anyone played footy at the Gabba before the dog track was removed.

Who played?

The reason why Sydney and Hawthorn are gifted cushy draws at the end of the season is the age of their list - we don't have that problem. Qualifying final, Adelaide Oval - who do you back: the side that had a training run against a crap opponent, or the side that had good hitout against a quality side like Fremantle?

If this is true (and I don't think it is) then i'm even angrier. Why should they get any help simply because their list is older? Our young guys don't have the battle hardened bodies that theirs do. It's much easier for a 27 year old to run out a season than a 19 year old.

Im annoyed that there seems to be some sort of deal where we play Freo alternating home and away every round 23. It annoys me because a) it will be a bruising game and b) because in 2016 we'll undoubtedly have to travel to Perth in round 23 again. Send last year's wooden spooners to Perth, it's the longest road trip in footy and we shouldn't have to do it in round 23 every second year.

We were always going to smack Richmond, but having several tough games in a row makes each one progressively more difficult. Could we have beaten Hawthorn if we weren't tiring from a month of tough football where we'd had to go to Perth twice? Perth is traditionally the hardest place to come back from and we did it twice in 3 weeks. Could we have started our run a little earlier with a bit of fuel left in the tank? What about the week after? We'd have travelled again against a side that hadn't left home since August and had had a week off in that time.

It absolutely makes a difference to stay at home and have the week off, and it absolutely makes a difference to have to play several tough games in a row.

We'll beat whoever we play, but i'm sick of playing Freo in round 23 and our draw, while fantastic from a timeslot point of view, unquestionably makes winning the flag harder for us in 2015.

I have no doubt we can win enough games to finish top 2, but having to play Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo twice makes that more difficult. While we're playing Freo for the 2nd time in round 23, Hawthorn will be playing a rebuilding Carlton. It's a free 4 points for them and could be the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

Ha. I saw some cricket there with the dog track still in many years ago. I actually prefer it as a cricket venue. Bears played at Carrara back in the early days though, I wasn't aware anyone played footy at the Gabba before the dog track was removed.

Who played?

trying to recall ...
Would have been early 80s ... One team I think was Carlton?

Yep, the AFL (again) has clearly set the round 22 game for the Sunday so they can trot it out as the excuse not to give us a Friday night round 23. Gil loves us :rolleyes:

The only non-victorian team that can play round 23 on the friday night is Brisbane. I don't think it is anti port.

Possible friday night games are : Coll/Ess, Rich/North, Haw/Carlton and Bris/Bulldogs.

All the other games have at least one that played the sunday in round 22.

Just for the record Janus i'm having my little fixture spew now, but I certainly wont be accepting it as an excuse next year. There is no reason why we shouldn't win every game next year and every loss will be really disappointing.

Yeah, hate those Vics; like Dangerfield, Sloan, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Talia.....see where I'm going here?

You miss the point. I am not against the individual...firstly its all about the history between the Vics and the Croweaters and how they treated us and showed us no respect. Secondly I hate the way the current Victorian media treat us. How the AFL treats us. I hate the Vic media and how they refer to the AFL's history as the VFL. To me a true AFL history comes from the VFL but also the SANFL, the WAFL and the TFL. You hear about Essendons Colman but never hear about North Adelaide Ken Farmer. Even the so called greatest marks. We The SANFL had players that took great marks but there is never any mention of them Take Don Linders mark or even Ray Buttons mark. Why does the AFL have a Brownlow Medal. That used to be the VFL's medal. They should have introduced a new medal for the AFL. By using the Brownlow it only denigrates the Magarey and Sandover medals. Why isn't you own Russell Ebert a legend. Fred Phillis kicked tonnes of goals. They all talk about 18 goals kicked by Hudson (I think). Fred Phillis did the same thing.

So as much as I love to hate Port Adelaide I hate the Vics a s**t load more. You guys get in a Grand Final against a Vic Team and I will be cheering for you not the Vic Team

So you point is about individuals not the establishment. Don't get the two mixed up

Last edited:
trying to recall ...
Would have been early 80s ... One team I think was Carlton?

According to Wikipedia there was an exhibition game in '82 during the Commonwealth games but no mention of who played.

A bit more Googling and it was Carlton v Richmond. Gee, the playing surface must've been smaller than the 'G!

According to Wikipedia there was an exhibition game in '82 during the Commonwealth games but no mention of who played.

A bit more Googling and it was Carlton v Richmond. Gee, the playing surface must've been smaller than the 'G!

That would've been it... I think

If this is true (and I don't think it is) then i'm even angrier. Why should they get any help simply because their list is older? Our young guys don't have the battle hardened bodies that theirs do. It's much easier for a 27 year old to run out a season than a 19 year old.

Im annoyed that there seems to be some sort of deal where we play Freo alternating home and away every round 23. It annoys me because a) it will be a bruising game and b) because in 2016 we'll undoubtedly have to travel to Perth in round 23 again. Send last year's wooden spooners to Perth, it's the longest road trip in footy and we shouldn't have to do it in round 23 every second year.

We were always going to smack Richmond, but having several tough games in a row makes each one progressively more difficult. Could we have beaten Hawthorn if we weren't tiring from a month of tough football where we'd had to go to Perth twice? Perth is traditionally the hardest place to come back from and we did it twice in 3 weeks. Could we have started our run a little earlier with a bit of fuel left in the tank? What about the week after? We'd have travelled again against a side that hadn't left home since August and had had a week off in that time.

It absolutely makes a difference to stay at home and have the week off, and it absolutely makes a difference to have to play several tough games in a row.

We'll beat whoever we play, but i'm sick of playing Freo in round 23 and our draw, while fantastic from a timeslot point of view, unquestionably makes winning the flag harder for us in 2015.

I have no doubt we can win enough games to finish top 2, but having to play Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo twice makes that more difficult. While we're playing Freo for the 2nd time in round 23, Hawthorn will be playing a rebuilding Carlton. It's a free 4 points for them and could be the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

Unfortunately, ever since the semi final we were always going to be locked into playing Fremantle twice. Ditto Hawthorn. For reasons that defy logic, the AFL thinks that an epic finals game equates to epic home and away games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You miss the point. I am not against the individual...firstly its all about the history between the Vics and the Croweaters and how they treated us and showed us no respect. Secondly I hate the way the current Victorian media treat us. How the AFL treats us. I hate the Vic media and how they refer to the AFL's history as the VFL. To me a true AFL history comes from the VFL but also the SANFL, the WAFL and the TFL. You hear about Essendons Colman but never hear about North Adelaide Ken Farmer. Even the so called greatest marks. We The SANFL had players that took great marks but there is never any mention of them Take Don Linders mark or even Ray Buttons mark. Why does the AFL have a Brownlow Medal. That used to be the VFL's medal. They should have introduced a new medal for the AFL. By using the Brownlow it only denigrates the Magarey and Sandover medals. Why isn't you own Russell Ebert a legend. Fred Phillis kicked tonnes of goals. They all talk about 18 goals kicked by Hudson (I think). Fred Phillis did the same thing.

So as much as I love to hate Port Adelaide I hate the Vics a s**t load more. You guys get in a Grand Final against a Vic Team and I will be cheering for you not the Vic Team

So you point is about individuals not the establishment. Don't get the two mixed up

Give me the Victorian football establishment over the petty, small minded SA football establishment any day.

I'm not too worried about if we finish top 2 or top 4 - on recent history, we should be able to earn a home prelim either way.

We're doing everything right insofar as building momentum to a flag, barring an injury crises we should be the team to beat in 2015.

Aren't adelaide the ones who wanted Thursday nights, why the hell are we getting them.

Overall though pretty good! Would like to play at MCG a couple more times but ohhwell
Don't worry: we'll get a game at the G in early October......

I don't mind the draw that we've been given. I only have one big problem with it and that is the fact that we're playing Hawthorne on a Friday night at the bloody Etihad. What the hell is that about? surely they could have scheduled that at the MCG

Never mind the last week, Hawthorn, Sydney, Carlton and Collingwood all get Essendon in the first month when they could be fielding a VFL team.

From a glass half full perspective, Hawks at Etihad is not a bad thing.
They don't play there too often and as pointed out by others, its a winter night under a roof which should be to our advantage.

Love the draw, bring on 2015.

Just looking at Adelaide's draw. My god we could be missing Trengove and Carlile all season and should still be able to scrape into the 8 if we had that draw. Did they just miss finals or finish bottom? Talk about the softest possible under the 'groups of 6' setup.

I must not rate them very much cause I only see 4 guaranteed wins and 8-10 50/50 games.

The draw is probably as good as we could have hoped for. Need to come out swinging in those first 5 games, 3-2 at the very least. I don't buy into the idea that 6 day breaks hurt you, not when you consider we've shown to beat teams on 6 day breaks before (see Port vs Freo in the semi last year). That being said, our 6 day breaks have us playing Sydney, Melbourne, Geelong, Essendon, Bulldogs and Hawthorn. I'd be expecting to win at least 4 of those.

What I hate about this draw is just the 1 match at the MCG. Hawthorn at Etihad? Are you serious AFL? 4 primetime (Thursday/Friday night) games whilst Richmond have an incredible 7 Friday night games, Collingwood with 6 plus a thursday night game. I don't mind having games at Etihad cuz I am so close that I could probably piss on the stadium from my apartment but it's a shame that we can't get more games at the G especially considering how well we travel. Oh well, I just hope we have one additional game at the G on the last day of the season :)

I realised a long time ago that it's not how many primetime games the big Vic clubs get, after all that's where TV ratings really drop in, but how many we have. It doesn't say anything about their performance but it does say something about ours, and the fact that we play such a refreshing brand of footy. At the moment everyone wants to see us play and most will always want to see good football but for some it will be novelty value which will wear off, even if we continue to play the same kind of game. Although the AFL talks up big about "earning" primetime games, the reality is that you are more likely to get them on nationwide supporter numbers than excellence of play. At the moment we have a lot of supporters and a lot of other people who want to see us play, when the latter number starts to reduce then we may see us go back to mainly Saturday and Sunday matches.

Just looking at Adelaide's draw. My god we could be missing Trengove and Carlile all season and should still be able to scrape into the 8 if we had that draw. Did they just miss finals or finish bottom? Talk about the softest possible under the 'groups of 6' setup.
They could be 4-0 when they play us, 2-2 at the worst. Although with the number last year where they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I think 2-2 could be more likely.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back