Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think blokes like Newman, Grigg, Petterd, Foley should neccesarily be considered best 22, even though all could very well line up round 1. To me we can still put a bloody strong team out without these guys and it means they aren't keeping blokes like Lennon/Gordon/Hunt out of the side who are the blokes who we need improvement of to elevate our team/find out if they are good enough.

B: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin

Giving Morris leniency as he played the whole year with one wing, gets this year to prove himself as he was talked about as one of the better small defenders going around in 2013 so deserves that. Astbury Lock. Chaplin will get first dibs over Grimes for the third key back role, hopefully grimes can earn it from him during the year.

HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
Houli is lock for me think he is underrated around here. Rance lock. Batchelor feels like he’s ready for a huge season and he needs it, not sure he’s the answer going forward but showed signs in the back end of last year.

C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
All are locks and important midfielders, cotch and sheds obviously go forward too.

HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
Deledio lock. Griff another who can really stamp himself on the game this year but took a good stride last season, needs to take another. Knights is the forgotten man who looks like he will get a full crack at a pre-season and someone I really rate and think has a lot to offer.

F: Martin, Reiwoldt, Vickery
Dusty and JR locks. Still have a lot of time for TV, was on track for 40 goals if he’d played all 22 games, if we can get that from him this year big win.

R: Maric, Miles, Vlastuin
All 3 locks in the team but think it’s time for Vlastuin to break out and become a genuine inside mid to ease the burden on Cotch a bit and let him be more damaging on the outside

I: Conca, Lennon, Hunt, Gordon
Lennon should be a lot better for another pre-season and ready to take his spot in the best 22. Conca, Hunt and Gordon all need big years but all have a lot to work with and have shown signs of being good important players, with good pre-seasons I’d be starting with them as they all add to the side

EMG: Grimes, McDonough, Petterd
Grimes probably most stiff but don’t know if we can fit him in with the other 3 tall backs just takes out balance. McDonough a lot of talent a good pre-season could easily see him start round 1 and Petterd is one of a couple such as Newy, Grigg and Foley who for better or worse could very likely still be considered best 22 players. Other guys like Lloyd, Arnot and the draftees I’d also expect to be pushing for spots

B: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
R: Maric, Miles, Vlastuin
I: Conca, Lennon, Hunt, Gordon

EMG: Grimes, McDonough, Petterd

Looking long term I think this bodes pretty well for us, as I think there is a very strong core group there with some good young talent to go with it. Think if we can add 1 or 2 Free agents next year and some of our young blokes we should really be pushing for top 4 at a minimum. I wouldn’t go after a Dangerfield or a Cameron for 1+ mill, I’d prefer Jack Steven as a FA and then trade with our picks and fringe player next year for Shiel. If we do this and get guys like Morris and Knights back to their best we would have a very imposing side.

B: Morris, Chaplin, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Lennon
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Steven
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Edwards
R: Maric, Miles, Shiel
I: Vlastuin, Conca, Knights, Weller/Duggan*

EMG: Batchelor, Gordon, McDonough, Hunt,

Thing I really like is the emergencies here are all blokes I think are all capable of having big years and cementing themselves as important members of our 22, which would leave us with some pretty tough calls and pretty good depth.

Anyway there’s my take on our best 22 heading into 2015 and then beyond, very optimistic!

Morris, houli, batchelor and Chaplin if they are in our starting back 6 we are in big trouble

Morris is a liability one on one and can't hit the side of a barn but if you want a kamikaze running around that's him frankly I think you need more skills than that

Houli is a downhill skier but panicky under pressure and is poor one on one

Bachelor is slow and lacks run and creativity so he can't play a flank at best he is back pocket third tall but I would prefer grimes

Chaplin is as slow as a wet week and can't play one on one is good as loose man only which we should not be relying on

Vlast unit as a mid, never played mid in his life so I don't know how in his second year he walks into our midfield?

The rest of it I like

Really? Why is that, I picked the side based on what I think is our best model not what I think DH will pick

Morris and Chaplin are starting 18 players if fit. That's why its not realistic. In saying that I would prefer Astbury over Chaplin, but it won't happen

Hard to know best 22 with no pre season form to base it on but I'd like to see something like this;

B: Morris - Chaplin - Grimes
HB: Houli - Rance - Batchelor
C: Ellis - Cotchin - Edwards
HF: McDonough - Griffiths - Conca
F: Vickery - Riewoldt - Martin

1R: Maric - Miles - Deledio

Int: Vlastuin - Newman - Hunt - Grigg

No Knights and Astbury as injuries will see them miss early IMO. Knights if ready probably replaces McDonough. I'd like to see Astbury take Chaplin's spot too. The bench could be raffled between any of Newy, Grigg, Petterd, Foley and Hunt, so pick 3 of those.

i am hoping a Draftee or 2 make the "best 22" which pushes out some who were 'walk up starts' this year. this will make us a better side.
If we landed Weller/Duggan at pick 12 and Drummond with a later pick I could see both being best 22 players very quickly. Speed and skill with Weller/Duggan adding class as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 side IMO(not my best 22):

FB: Morris Astbury Chaplin
HB: Newman Rance Houli
C: Ellis Conca Deledio
HF: Edwards Griffiths Martin
FF: Vickery Riewoldt Lloyd
R: Maric Cotchin Miles

Int: Grigg, Vlastuin, Grimes
Sub: Foley

Emg: Batchelor, Lennon, Hunt

- IMO Hunt won't be seen as best 22 and will be used on an as needed basis only
- Knights won't be fit (will barely play this year)
- They want to fit Grimes, Chaplin, Rance and Astbury into the same side but it won't work imo
- One of either Gordon or Lloyd will get a gig in the starting 18
- Lennon will miss the first couple of weeks but will be in there by round 6 and will be there by the end of the year. Won't play VFL post 2015

you blokes need to get off of grimes' dick, he is average at best.

we will not win a premiership with the likes of him and batchelor in our side.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Morris and Chaplin are starting 18 players if fit. That's why its not realistic. In saying that I would prefer Astbury over Chaplin, but it won't happen

Neither can play one on one, Chaplin is a good loose man nothing else, can get away with that in HOme and away but not finals.
Morris is a kamikaze that gets found out when he is isolated, he panics under pressure and has poor and often clumsy disposal
Neither would play in a premiership side IMO

Is he the 18th best player - NO but he is our best small forward unless edwards plays that role.
It's all about team balance
that is rubbish Gordon even tho not great and others would get a game ahead of mcdonut...mcdonut.is not even close to being best 22..

Gordon is a HFF who relies on his endurance
Mcdonagh is nimble small and excellent shot on goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back