Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Janus but when I see DA: Inquisition actually being recommended...I feel obligated to provide a contrary point of view there. It's a terrible game. Watched a complete LP in sick fascination at how bad virtually everything was in it. I wasn't expecting it to be great but I was hoping it would at least be not s**t so I could play it myself. Won't even bother pirating. All I can say positively about it is that the scenery looked nice.

Kudos to Forzaport , you got some taste with EU4 :thumbsu:

FWIW to any PC gamers here I'd recommend looking into the following from this year since they should be heavily discounted during the upcoming Steam sale (ppl with un-monocled taste can ignore):

Dark Souls II
Alien Isolation
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
The Banner Saga
Xenonauts
The Long Dark

PS: if the Failout3 crowd want some post-apoc style shooters then look into the Metro series, or try STALKER SoC with the Autumn Aurora 2 mod. Its glorious.

Witcher 3! Witcher 3! Witcher 3!

Dragon Age as a series is so sub-optimal. So slow, and nothing new

I just got done playing Witcher 2 about a month ago after having it lay around for a year or two - what a game. I'm super excited for the third iteration and it dampened my hype for DA3. I still haven't picked it up and I'm super skeptical after seeing all the gameplay videos where they focus on the action style combat rather than tactical which I adored in the first game. It looks more like DA2 which is disappointing, and watching some dialogue videos on YouTube it looks a bit silly in the writing department a little bit too often.

I'll pick it up when it's 20 bucks just so I can be disappointed at it not being Origins.

The sex cards you collected in the first Witcher were the high water mark for me :p

I should preface my recommendation for DA:I by saying it's not as s**t as DA2 and is as good as you're going to get with a multi-platform system. I'd rather an old school Ultima/Baldur's Gate style top down style strategic game rather than hack and slash action s**t, but the main issue I had with DA2 was the smallness of it. As long as I feel like the world is bigger than a postage stamp, I'm golden.

I just got done playing Witcher 2 about a month ago after having it lay around for a year or two - what a game. I'm super excited for the third iteration and it dampened my hype for DA3. I still haven't picked it up and I'm super skeptical after seeing all the gameplay videos where they focus on the action style combat rather than tactical which I adored in the first game. It looks more like DA2 which is disappointing, and watching some dialogue videos on YouTube it looks a bit silly in the writing department a little bit too often.

I'll pick it up when it's 20 bucks just so I can be disappointed at it not being Origins.

I have also had Witcher 2 for about a year, but my game broke at the first arena part and I never re-visited. Witcher was brilliant, but I never quite finished it yet

Sorry Janus but when I see DA: Inquisition actually being recommended...I feel obligated to provide a contrary point of view there. It's a terrible game. Watched a complete LP in sick fascination at how bad virtually everything was in it. I wasn't expecting it to be great but I was hoping it would at least be not s**t so I could play it myself. Won't even bother pirating. All I can say positively about it is that the scenery looked nice.

Kudos to Forzaport , you got some taste with EU4 :thumbsu:

FWIW to any PC gamers here I'd recommend looking into the following from this year since they should be heavily discounted during the upcoming Steam sale (ppl with un-monocled taste can ignore):

Dark Souls II
Alien Isolation
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
The Banner Saga
Xenonauts
The Long Dark

PS: if the Failout3 crowd want some post-apoc style shooters then look into the Metro series, or try STALKER SoC with the Autumn Aurora 2 mod. Its glorious.

Watched a walk through of this, already felt like I had played the game, so didn't bother purchasing it.

You mention post-apoc style shooters, Borderlands 1 or 2 fits the bill (at least i thought so).

Well actually I was looking for some adults talking football o_O

Coming to the random thoughts thread for football talk.

Shiggy_Diggy.gif

EDIT: Who was it that said usernames such as "AlbertonBloke" "Magpies1870" "PAFC1870" strongly correlate to mouth breathing?

No idea what point you're trying to make there. People invented and perpetuate religion, of course they therefore define it. Religion isn't this separate thing floating off innocently somewhere. It's a name with give to certain patterns of thought and behaviour which persist due to indoctrination.

Yeah, I guess this is right in terms of attending a church of some description and believing in god.

But other than that, the behaviour of people who claim religion is as far across the spectrum as those who don't.

People ultimately do what they want to do and use their religion as justification. That goes from helping the underprivileged all the way to taking people hostage.

The sex cards you collected in the first Witcher were the high water mark for me :p

I should preface my recommendation for DA:I by saying it's not as s**t as DA2 and is as good as you're going to get with a multi-platform system.

I find it strange the only thing I repeatedly hear about DA:I is that its a game where every man/woman/thing is actually an Homosexaul/Transexaul/Pansexaul/Omnisexaul different gender indentifying creature of some description.

Maybe I've been tainted by other game boards but every screenshot or scene has been about the side/romance characters sexual identity and it is just weird.

Does it actually have monster killing? or is it just dealing with feelings the whole game?

I find it strange the only thing I repeatedly hear about DA:I is that its a game where every man/woman/thing is actually an Homosexaul/Transexaul/Pansexaul/Omnisexaul different gender indentifying creature of some description.

Maybe I've been tainted by other game boards but every screenshot or scene has been about the side/romance characters sexual identity and it is just weird.

Does it actually have monster killing? or is it just dealing with feelings the whole game?
Gotta pander to those twitter feminists who hate video games

lol yes because companies make mad bank by pandering.

alternately people are playing dragon age because its not another angsty white male anti-hero only game.

lol yes because companies make mad bank by pandering.

alternately people are playing dragon age because its not another angsty white male anti-hero only game.
The point is that it's highlighted as a feature, and I'm not trying to generalise feminists, more refering to Anita Sarkeesian types in the industry who have invaded it with social justice issues irrelevant to a hobby.

have you actually watched her videos yourself?

Not beyond the Hitman one which was genuinely stupid and framed the game in a light which was entirely untrue to how it actually functioned.
http://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2kw5c3/no_anita_sarkeesian_did_not_factually/
He uses this quote by Anita, claiming it's an inaccurate account of Hitman: Absolution. This is also something that Gators love to bring up in order to discredit Sarkeesian.

"players are meant to derive a perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual characters. It's a rush streaming from a carefully concocted mix of sexual arousal connected to the act of controlling and punishing representations of female sexuality"

That's 100% accurate in the context of what she's saying. In a video game, players are meant to do several different, sometimes contradictory things. They're meant to do those things because the developer gave them the tools to do so. If the player can do something the devs didn't mean for them to be able to do, that's known as a bug, and these days developers have the tools to patch it out of their game.

Players in Hitman: Absolution are meant to kill half-naked women and play with their dead bodies. They're also meant bypass those women and kill their target, playing the game as stealthily as possible. They're meant to do both of those things, because the developer placed the player character (a murderer) in a setting with women wearing lingerie. The player can choose what to do, and the developer is well aware of the player's ability to make those choices.

The real problem is the tendency for video games commonly setting portions of their games in brothels or strip clubs. It's an overused trope, one that Sarkeesian points out and correctly examines. She doesn't "factually misrepresent" Hitman: Absolution. The developers chose to place a murderous player character in a setting with half-naked women. That choice has consequences, ones that the developers were well-aware of.
http://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2kw5c3/no_anita_sarkeesian_did_not_factually/

Also
Dylan8 said:
social justice issues irrelevant to a hobby.
So how do you feel about a social justice issue like racism in a hobby like football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back