Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing in Restricted Free Agency states or implies that a player needs to be or can be traded to move clubs. They're still essentially uncontracted at the end of the year. It simply gives the player's current club first rights to match any contract offer.

Hahahahaha this is hilarious, For both the AFL and ALFPA to make two types of Free Agents, Restrricted and Unrestricted, wouldnt you think the rule is that the existing club can match any offer for only two outcomes either the player stays or they risk the PSD. If the player wasnt infact nominating a club or speaking to any other clubs as he was looking to leave no offer would need to be match. But by this wonderfull Restricted word added it gives some sort of power to the existing club by being able top match the offer in either an attempt to regain the player or at least force him into the PSD where he would have to take his chances where he ends up! So power is given back to the club and by trading eleveating any risk for thr player going into the PSD. Pretty sure this is why the AFL and the AFLPA introduced the Resitrected free agent so that the existing club still retain some bargaining Power. What is your take on it and why such a silly type of player agreement was put in place if infact you think it varys to my summary!

Why would a free agent need to or even be able to be traded? Defeats the entire purpose of Free Agency, unless we're suddenly allowing sign-and-trade deals like the NBA (and I'm pretty sure our half-arsed system doesn't allow it).
Umm, not sure if serious?
If Paddy wants to go to Geelong he presents Adelaide with the offer from Geelong.
If Adelaide dont want to match the offer, Paddy goes to Geelong and we cope a compo pick.
If Adelaide does match the offer Paddy can stay at the Crows on that deal, or say he still wants to go to Geelong.
If he chooses to still go to Geelong he is no longer a Free Agent and Geelong have to trade for him or he can go into the PSD, just the same as any player who is going to be traded to another club.
Thats why he is restricted. We can block his FA.

If Paddy wants to go to Geelong he presents Adelaide with the offer from Geelong.
If Adelaide dont want to match the offer, Paddy goes to Geelong and we cope a compo pick.
If Adelaide does match the offer Paddy can stay at the Crows on that deal, or say he still wants to go to Geelong.
If he chooses to still go to Geelong he is no longer a Free Agent and Geelong have to trade for him or he can go into the PSD, just the same as any player who is going to be traded to another club.

How can he go into the PSD if he is contracted after AFC match the offer? Wouldn't he just have to sit out of the AFL if he refused to play for AFC?

How can he go into the PSD if he is contracted after AFC match the offer? Wouldn't he just have to sit out of the AFL if he refused to play for AFC?

His contract is up. He can quit the club. Ala Tippet. And I think GWS/sydney did it with either Mumford or Lamb

Correct if AFC matches which they can do under RFA rules, he has three choices, Stay and Play, Not sign and go into the PSD run the risk of going to whoever will pay the price he puts on his head in draft order, or as you said sit out of footy for a year!

Sorry one more choice, tell Geelong do what it takes without any risk of him going elsewhere to Geelong by tradin, so all risks are well and truly gone and its a 100% done deal!

Correct if AFC matches which they can do under RFA rules, he has three choices, Stay and Play, Not sign and go into the PSD run the risk of going to whoever will pay the price he puts on his head in draft order, or as you said sit out of footy for a year!

Sorry one more choice, tell Geelong do what it takes without any risk of him going elsewhere to Geelong by tradin, so all risks are well and truly gone and its a 100% done deal!

What is the point of the PSD? Surely any player should just go through the draft process. The PSD has no point to it but is being used as a way of bypassing the fairer trading system.

If Dangerfield knew he was going to go into the draft, he would be much more willing to negotiate rather than just dictate terms.

What is the point of the PSD? Surely any player should just go through the draft process. The PSD has no point to it but is being used as a way of bypassing the fairer trading system.

If Dangerfield knew he was going to go into the draft, he would be much more willing to negotiate rather than just dictate terms.

Nothing wrong with the PSD, its the draft in terms of order picked on clubs finishing in, however the player gets to declare his price, reason Tippet went to # 10 and Ball went to # 30 no one thought they where worth the $ they declared. But Danger on the other hand is a TOP 5 AFL player he would go high but worth every cent!

Hahahahaha this is hilarious, For both the AFL and ALFPA to make two types of Free Agents, Restrricted and Unrestricted, wouldnt you think the rule is that the existing club can match any offer for only two outcomes either the player stays or they risk the PSD. If the player wasnt infact nominating a club or speaking to any other clubs as he was looking to leave no offer would need to be match. But by this wonderfull Restricted word added it gives some sort of power to the existing club by being able top match the offer in either an attempt to regain the player or at least force him into the PSD where he would have to take his chances where he ends up! So power is given back to the club and by trading eleveating any risk for thr player going into the PSD. Pretty sure this is why the AFL and the AFLPA introduced the Resitrected free agent so that the existing club still retain some bargaining Power. What is your take on it and why such a silly type of player agreement was put in place if infact you think it varys to my summary!

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I 150% "get" what 'Restricted Free Agent' means. I've been watching US sports where the concept has been "the norm" for many, many years now.

Where in any of that though does it involve the ability or power to trade the uncontracted player, eg. swap him for a player or draft pick from Geelong? He's not under contract to Adelaide, so the only "power" they should hold is to match other team's contract offers, not swap him to gain something in return. The way I see it for the Crows, they either keep him by matching another team's offer, or lose him for nothing.

Unless the AFL have created some bizarre bastardised system where uncontracted players can somehow be traded?

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I 150% "get" what 'Restricted Free Agent' means. I've been watching US sports where the concept has been "the norm" for many, many years now.

Where in any of that though does it involve the ability or power to trade the uncontracted player, eg. swap him for a player or draft pick from Geelong? He's not under contract to Adelaide, so the only "power" they should hold is to match other team's contract offers, not swap him to gain something in return. The way I see it for the Crows, they either keep him by matching another team's offer, or lose him for nothing.

Unless the AFL have created some bizarre bastardised system where uncontracted players can somehow be traded?
It's bastardised compared to the American FA system. For a start the club that loses the player can get compensation. Which creates an incentive to not match as it creates certainty of getting something back. Opt to trade and one can't be brokered and you're left with the possibility of getting nothing just like the U.S. System.

Its like any player coming out of contract he goes in the PSD and goes where the wind takes him.

Are you serious when you think PD would consider this when he is such a good footballer he could ask the team he wants to go to to trade and take that risk out of the equation?

Yes the Crows are at Risk of getting Zippo but so is PD at risk of maybe ending up where he does want to go, its a bit of who blinks first wouldnt you say?

Where in any of that though does it involve the ability or power to trade the uncontracted player, eg. swap him for a player or draft pick from Geelong? He's not under contract to Adelaide, so the only "power" they should hold is to match other team's contract offers, not swap him to gain something in return.

I don't understand your confusion; uncontracted players are traded all the time.

It's bastardised compared to the American FA system. For a start the club that loses the player can get compensation. Which creates an incentive to not match as it creates certainty of getting something back. Opt to trade and one can't be brokered and you're left with the possibility of getting nothing just like the U.S. System.

I don't understand your confusion; uncontracted players are traded all the time.

Realistically though, the uncontracted player shouldn't have the currency to be traded. It's a bizarre, nonsensical set of circumstances to allow them to be. They're not the property of the original team if they're not in contract to them, so they're not their asset to trade.

Furthermore, I feel like the "compensation" should be the free list space and salary cap room. You've lost the player, through your own incompetence, cheapness or the player's decision. It's a loss. Cop it. Move on.

Its like any player coming out of contract he goes in the PSD and goes where the wind takes him.

Are you serious when you think PD would consider this when he is such a good footballer he could ask the team he wants to go to to trade and take that risk out of the equation?

Yes the Crows are at Risk of getting Zippo but so is PD at risk of maybe ending up where he does want to go, its a bit of who blinks first wouldnt you say?

I never claimed to know or state what Dangerfield should or shouldn't do, I'm just questioning/disputing how the system works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically though, the uncontracted player shouldn't have the currency to be traded. It's a bizarre, nonsensical set of circumstances to allow them to be. They're not the property of the original team if they're not in contract to them, so they're not their asset to trade.

Furthermore, I feel like the "compensation" should be the free list space and salary cap room. You've lost the player, through your own incompetence, cheapness or the player's decision. It's a loss. Cop it. Move on.

I never claimed to know or state what Dangerfield should or shouldn't do, I'm just questioning/disputing how the system works.

Danger is presently a contracted player, so Adelaide can trade him, when they come out of contract without a home they go into the draft. The only two excptions are FA where they can go where they want and RFA who can choose this also but if their original club matches an offer they either must stay or go in the PSD as they are not required to sign and stay as they are becoming uncontracted. Its really not hard!

I cant imagine Geelong wanting to trade but if PD feels too much of a risk and Adelaide might match, he has to look at his options and the only 100% full proof option is tell Geelong he will only join on a trade only or he might say the same to Collingwood to get sureity in where he wants to go. !

Look up the AFL webiste and type in AFL drafting, you can learn

So dont preach its a loss cop it, you have no idea of the rules. Those rules set up by the AFL and AFLPA to protect clubs from their best players becoming part of the $y$tem. As we have seen with 90% of FA's or RFA's they have been driven by the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Go ahead ,
Match Geelong's big 2 year deal for a player that doesn't want to be at your club ... and then watch him walk for free anyway !!

Not going to happen ...

How are you going to use your compo pick ??

Its not about Geelong or Adelaide to any major degree. The whole situation is PD will not want to risk ending up just anywhere, so he either risks Adelaide matching an offer or chooses a club that will deal with Adelaide to ensure any risk is removed! There is the possibility Geelong could offer a figure that blows us out of the water but Geelong are so wound up in their premiership salary scale I would take the punt if I was Adelaide!

Go ahead ,
Match Geelong's big 2 year deal for a player that doesn't want to be at your club ... and then watch him walk for free anyway !!

Not going to happen ...

How are you going to use your compo pick ??

Saying all that how about Henderson and a draft pick for him, then we just need to get PD to agree but at least he knows he will be in Vic!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back