Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Suckling is worthless. Nobody is going to trade for this one trick pony who is fast becoming a spud. Not all players can play past 30 and Suckling is quickly reaching the end. He is already in his twilight.
Like I said, Clarko is a big fan of his and the club would have made him a decent enough offer. The fact he's holding out now means there is interest from at least one other club (rumoured to be Brisbane) and they'd be offering something pretty good for him to turn his back on the current B2B premiers.

But this is off topic now. The point of my original post was that other Vic clubs will come play ball at the trade table for Dangerfield if Geelong won't. If the Hawks don't get that compensation for Suckling then they'll find value to trade elsewhere if necessary.

You and I both know that I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it. :D Perhaps I've got the wrong guy and if so, I apologise. I'll take you at your word.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Suckling.
I'm not being coy fwiw. A few months is a enough time for an opinion to change. Hell, I'm even starting to come around to West Coast being an actual premiership contender where as a few months back I doubted they'd finish top 4. But I did do a quick search and couldn't find such a post by me. Admittedly the search function on this forum is pretty poor.

If that's the case then he won't be playing for Hawthorn or Collingwood next year.
I would just hold onto your hat for the moment, if Cats are going to stay true to their internal player payment strategy there offer won't be more than $800k a season, what happens if the Pies or Hawks offer upwards of $1-1.4M a season and blow cats offer out of the water?? I think the wife might rethink forfeiting upto $500k a year more and live in Melbourne for 5-8 years and count all that extra coin he would pocket, and then move to Moggs Creek happily ever after when Danger retires, would also have a better chance of a flag at Pies and Hawks than Cats. Just my theory.

Like I said, Clarko is a big fan of his and the club would have made him a decent enough offer. The fact he's holding out now means there is interest from at least one other club (rumoured to be Brisbane) and they'd be offering something pretty good for him to turn his back on the current B2B premiers.

But this is off topic now. The point of my original post was that other Vic clubs will come play ball at the trade table for Dangerfield if Geelong won't. If the Hawks don't get that compensation for Suckling then they'll find value to trade elsewhere if necessary.

He is holding out because hawthorn have low balled him and he wants more money. Clarko does not pay the wages or decide salarys. He coaches the squad.

Well spotted. 100% spot on.

Its gone from PD is never leaving, to it will be a trade, to hating Geelong for getting PD for free, to AFC must trade to force GFC to lose a pick as its a competition and its better to take GFC pick, even if its not as good, just to take the pick away from us.

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Go Catters
You boys arnt the only ones chasing him. Dont get too cocky yet.

I would just hold onto your hat for the moment, if Cats are going to stay true to their internal player payment strategy there offer won't be more than $800k a season, what happens if the Pies or Hawks offer upwards of $1-1.4M a season and blow cats offer out of the water?? I think the wife might rethink forfeiting upto $500k a year more and live in Melbourne for 5-8 years and count all that extra coin he would pocket, and then move to Moggs Creek happily ever after when Danger retires, would also have a better chance of a flag at Pies and Hawks than Cats. Just my theory.
If Danger ends up at either Collingwood or Hawthorn I won't just hold onto my hat, I'll eat it!

Ohh is that why you wanted something for Ryder I know he wasn't an FA but neither is Pd he is a RFA giving the crows the option to keep him or send him into the PSD. As EFC could have forced Ryder

Are you a hypocrite?

Is this a serious post !

Ryder was a contracted player and Dangerfield is a RFA - there are no similarities in the two cases.

I suggest that you debate the issue at hand - And that is whether a club should match the offer of an RFA who has chosen another club.

Last edited:
Is this a serious post !

Ryder was a contracted player and Dangerfield is a RFA - there are no similarities in the two cases.bate

I suggest that you debate the issue at hand - And that is whether a club should match the offer of an RFA who has chosen another club.
Haha! All I can say to you my friend is good luck.

Not at all, because Dangers a restricted free agent which allows us to match. I dont have an issue at all with that. My issue is with Cats supporters that think we shouldnt exercise our right under RFA to match the offer.
If you have a problem with that I think you should take your own advice and Lobby the AFL and AFLPA to take out the matching clause.
We owe Danger and Geelong nothing, and we are only motivated by getting every bit of blood from Geelong as we can for him.

Your last sentence is a perfect summary of why the D and T board is going downhill fast.

And lets be honest here, if the Cats cant come to the table with a trade, Danger will look to another Vic club of his chosing before letting himself end up in the PSD. Does anyone honestly think that if Danger was drafted by a Melbourne based club that he would be looking at FA as a way to get 80kms closer to him mum and dad?

Do you think all have clubs have a spare million in their salary cap in October each year - Clubs plan their cap +three years in advance - Trading is not a game of monopoly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Cats cant get the deal done, and his option is either the PSD where he could end up at Brisbane, Melbourne or Gold Coast or having a say in ending up at a club like The Hawks or The Pies, thats what he will do.
Are you aware of how far away Moggs Creek is from Melbourne (particularly relevant to Hawthorn as they're further away, and moving to Dingley which is even further away). It'd be 40 mins from Geelong which is then 45 minutes away from the South Western outskirts of Melbourne. If traveling to play for Collingwood to train (most likely peak hour travel) it's gong to be a bit longer than the 45 minutes to the Westpac centre near the G and way way longer to Waverley.

If his motivation is to placate his wife to be, those two clubs aren't going to be appealing given mutual friends I know are certain if he does decide to move back he wants to live in Moggs and has been readying a house down there.

Well that pretty much leaves the dogs as the only remotely viable Melbourne club for travel purposes.

Is this a serious post !

Ryder was a contracted player and Dangerfield is a RFA - there are no similarities in the two cases.

So When Ryder wanted to leave you should have let him walk fotr Zippo! The Similarities are an RFA is basically the same but only if the club match the offer. It gives him no better options than that of a contracted player coming out of contract, cant you see that or dont you understand how an RFA works?

So When Ryder wanted to leave you should have let him walk fotr Zippo! The Similarities are an RFA is basically the same but only if the club match the offer. It gives him no better options than that of a contracted player coming out of contract, cant you see that or dont you understand how an RFA works?

Ryder wasn't coming out of contract so literally could not walk to another club for another year.

Do you think all have clubs have a spare million in their salary cap in October each year - Clubs plan their cap +three years in advance - Trading is not a game of monopoly.
Its also worth noting that Lingy yesterday said that the story about Geelong offering Paddy a big contract over a mill a year to get him is 100% false and made up. Said the club would not pay him more than Selwood and co.
So reality is that if Geelong do what they do, then the contract wont be hard for anyone to match in the PSD.

Is this a serious post !

Ok so why have an RFA agreement? Why was it put in place did the AFL and ALFPA like the name Restricted or was it put on there to serve a purpose? And if it was placed on there for a purpose(as we know it wasnt there to look pretty) what was the purpose of the restricted part? Once you answer this we may get to the bottom of why the Crows can match and you can probably answer your last sentence!

And lets be honest here, if the Cats cant come to the table with a trade, Danger will look to another Vic club of his chosing before letting himself end up in the PSD. Does anyone honestly think that if Danger was drafted by a Melbourne based club that he would be looking at FA as a way to get 80kms closer to him mum and dad?

Why would a free agent need to or even be able to be traded? Defeats the entire purpose of Free Agency, unless we're suddenly allowing sign-and-trade deals like the NBA (and I'm pretty sure our half-arsed system doesn't allow it).

Why would a free agent need to or even be able to be traded? Defeats the entire purpose of Free Agency, unless we're suddenly allowing sign-and-trade deals like the NBA (and I'm pretty sure our half-arsed system doesn't allow it).

Like I said above he is a restircted free agency. And if people say makes no difference maybe have a look at see why the AFL and AFLPAwould waste their time and everyones elses time in having Restricted Free Agents which PD is?

Adelaide should match the offer and keep him as a RFA - keep him playing for AFC for as long as possible to further the interests of the club.

Obviously Dangerfield didn't come out last trade period and tell AFC that he was leaving. He has tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Of course he made his decision a long time ago. These calls aren't made spur of the moment a few weeks before the end of the season.

Like I said above he is a restircted free agency. And if people say makes no difference maybe have a look at see why the AFL and AFLPAwould waste their time and everyones elses time in having Restricted Free Agents which PD is?

Nothing in Restricted Free Agency states or implies that a player needs to be or can be traded to move clubs. They're still essentially uncontracted at the end of the year. It simply gives the player's current club first rights to match any contract offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back